Looking for Membership at a sensible price in surrey (Woking)

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
This is what I found when enquiring there, average age must be right up there

They also have the wrong attitude in that they will not change, hence why i left. Some examples, they refuse to add 200 yards markers as no-one (other than us youngsters) can hit over 150 yards, they have a very strange Saturday morning start sheet system which you can only sign up on at the club (no internet sign up) and of course, it is the same groups bock booking the entire morning.

I wrote the manager a long email with feedback (as did a number of my friends who also left the club). I suspect nothing has changed.

Cracking course though...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Alternatively with the amout of rain perhaps some clubs are protecting their courses, where as others are not bothered. ;)Just a thought, though mine was open and trollies/buggies were allowed.:whistle:

Farnham was open in the afternoon. Don't know exactly when - but we drain quickly.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Farnham was open in the afternoon. Don't know exactly when - but we drain quickly.
We were closed today.:mad: Fortunately as soon as it stops raining, if it ever does, the water drains off really quickly.

16th fairway and 18th tee always used to flood at Farnham. Have they cured that now ?

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Im playing Puttenham tomorow fingers crossed the whole course is open....i like the range shame you cant use your own balls though. Lets see how the course has stood up to the rain this week. Going to sample the food too before the round. The good thing is there is a harvester opposite the entrance if the food isnt up to scratch.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We were closed today.:mad: Fortunately as soon as it stops raining, if it ever does, the water drains off really quickly.

16th fairway and 18th tee always used to flood at Farnham. Have they cured that now ?

16th fairway still does occasionally when rain catchment pond is full. But it is very rare. 18th tee doesn't.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
They also have the wrong attitude in that they will not change, hence why i left. Some examples, they refuse to add 200 yards markers as no-one (other than us youngsters) can hit over 150 yards, they have a very strange Saturday morning start sheet system which you can only sign up on at the club (no internet sign up) and of course, it is the same groups bock booking the entire morning.

I wrote the manager a long email with feedback (as did a number of my friends who also left the club). I suspect nothing has changed.

Cracking course though...

Not sure how long ago you left the club but yes there is still a Saturday morning start sheet that can only be booked at the club. However a) I rarely have a problem booking a tee time and b) it's only in use for 2 hours so not exactly all morning. Competitions are now booked online so some things have changed.
I'm not sure there is any necessity for 200 yard markers and I'm not sure I've seen this at many clubs, I certainly can't think of.one locally. There are sprinkler heads with yardages on so you're never too far from a yardage and nowadays I would say the vast majority of people have some kind of GPS to use.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
This is a bit "off course" but I used to rely totally on yardage posts, discs etc.
Then I bought a rangefinder Bushnell V2 thingy +6 years ago, now I can actually guess the yardage within a reasonable % without looking. But also zap bunkers to know run out/carry distances etc. and I hardly ever go in hazards now and hit a lot of greens. Just wish they were cheaper and everyone had them, really speed things up.
The tours have a lot to answer for! Do see a few with GPS watches etc. but I prefer the rangefinder - can be used all around the world, + I keep a spare battery in the bag. Also bought a Nikon version quite cheap on eBay for my wife - she loves it. So then you can play or be a member at any course without worrying about damn yardage discs/posts.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Keep your shirt on old fruit. Just letting you know they are out there. :) Blimey this forum's touchy!

The trouble with written text is sometimes it's hard to understand people's tones, I can assure you I wasn't getting touchy. Your post actually reminded me that I have seen red, white and yellow discs for markers, just not very often 👍

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
The trouble with written text is sometimes it's hard to understand people's tones, I can assure you I wasn't getting touchy. Your post actually reminded me that I have seen red, white and yellow discs for markers, just not very often 

As I now own a GPS watch, I have no need for any markers but I did find it useful when courses has 100, 150 and 200 markers. And distances on sprinkler heads. You don't want to hit your exact yardage but find out you miscalculated how far away you were!

DMDs are the way forward though, if they are affordable. I am confident they help speed up the pace of play.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
As I now own a GPS watch, I have no need for any markers but I did find it useful when courses has 100, 150 and 200 markers. And distances on sprinkler heads. You don't want to hit your exact yardage but find out you miscalculated how far away you were!

DMDs are the way forward though, if they are affordable. I am confident they help speed up the pace of play.

I agree, a couple of times I've played new courses without my laser and there's been no markers and I've felt lost. While we don't have these 200 yard markers at our place with the 150 posts and sprinkler heads all marked you're never to far from some kind of yardage marker.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree, a couple of times I've played new courses without my laser and there's been no markers and I've felt lost. While we don't have these 200 yard markers at our place with the 150 posts and sprinkler heads all marked you're never to far from some kind of yardage marker.

You need to learn to use your binocular vision sensors and supercomputer :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have the 200, 150 and 100 yard discs in the fairway but no fairway sprinkler heads. At least gives you a guideline. I agree though if you leave your GPS or rangefinder behind, especially on a new course can leave you feeling lost. Of course there will be those that say you shouldn't rely on technology, but I've become so use to using mine it's a habit now

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure how long ago you left the club but yes there is still a Saturday morning start sheet that can only be booked at the club. However a) I rarely have a problem booking a tee time and b) it's only in use for 2 hours so not exactly all morning. Competitions are now booked online so some things have changed.
I'm not sure there is any necessity for 200 yard markers and I'm not sure I've seen this at many clubs, I certainly can't think of.one locally. There are sprinkler heads with yardages on so you're never too far from a yardage and nowadays I would say the vast majority of people have some kind of GPS to use.

I left in 2013, so it's good to see they have made some improvements. The Saturday start sheet back then used to be for 3 hours I think, then an hour for ladies and then the Saturday roll up... was impossible to get on the course Saturday morning.

Sprinkler head yardage is new too. I'm now a gps user and wouldn't change that..!

Jess Eyton

Visit site
Hi, I work for Hoebridge. We are very family friendly! I would be delighted to invite you and your son over to have a complimentary round on either of our courses. Please contact Donna on 01483 735338 and I will let her know about this. Kind regards Jess.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Went for another local course....Puttenham was too old, MW was too wet, West Byfleet too expensive...thx for the advice