Looking for advice on joining a club (Woking, Surrey)

CalumE5

Visit site
Evening,

I'm a very new golfer, have just had a couple of lessons so far but am very keen on getting into it more. I've never played a round, just been practicing at driving range and lessons so far. I'm looking to join a local club, but not really sure what I should be looking for. My nearest club is Chobham where I have lessons, and have been to the range at Hoebridge and Pine Ridge too.

Seems like a lot of the local clubs are out of my price range (don't want to spend more than, say, £1.5k for my first year). I'm 27 so qualify for a lot of the discounted memberships may be available.

I've also heard Merrist Wood has £10 twilight fees so thought that may be a good place to start out, along with Hoebridge short courses.

Anyone with experience at nearby clubs to me, it would be really helpful to hear some of your experiences!

Thanks

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really liked Tyrell’s wood which is at leather head, their full membership last year was only 1650 but I’m not sure if they offer reduced rates for under 30’s.

CalumE5

Visit site
I really liked Tyrell’s wood which is at leather head, their full membership last year was only 1650 but I’m not sure if they offer reduced rates for under 30’s.

Thanks, will take a look. Think it might be a little further from home than I'd like but best to be open.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Worth giving Pyrford a try if the traffic wouldn’t be too bad getting there? Flexi membership is great for a beginner, greens are great and I’d say it’s quite an interesting course to play

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Evening,

I'm a very new golfer, have just had a couple of lessons so far but am very keen on getting into it more. I've never played a round, just been practicing at driving range and lessons so far. I'm looking to join a local club, but not really sure what I should be looking for. My nearest club is Chobham where I have lessons, and have been to the range at Hoebridge and Pine Ridge too.

Seems like a lot of the local clubs are out of my price range (don't want to spend more than, say, £1.5k for my first year). I'm 27 so qualify for a lot of the discounted memberships may be available.

I've also heard Merrist Wood has £10 twilight fees so thought that may be a good place to start out, along with Hoebridge short courses.

Anyone with experience at nearby clubs to me, it would be really helpful to hear some of your experiences!

Thanks
Hoebridge is worth considering as a 'first club', at least for a year or two. Not a particularly large up-front fee, just in case the bug doesn't complee hook you in (I'm sure it will).

CalumE5

Visit site
Worth giving Pyrford a try if the traffic wouldn’t be too bad getting there? Flexi membership is great for a beginner, greens are great and I’d say it’s quite an interesting course to play

Thanks, hadn't considered this one as it was slightly outside my range but it's only a couple of minutes beyond Hoebridge so I'd be silly to discount it! I'll have a bit more of a look into it.

CalumE5

Visit site
Have you considered Windlesham? I've not played there for a while, but was told they are good for new players.

Hoebridge might be a good place to start too...

Thanks, I really liked the look and sound of Windlesham but the £750 joining fee is putting me off a little. I might reach out and try and get a tour at least, as it does sound pretty beginner-friendly.

I think I'll at least try a couple of rounds on the Hoebridge short courses before making any decisions to build up my confidence actually going out on the course.

CalumE5

Visit site
Hoebridge is worth considering as a 'first club', at least for a year or two. Not a particularly large up-front fee, just in case the bug doesn't complee hook you in (I'm sure it will).

I went down to Hoebridge this evening to talk through options and they rolled out the red carpet, gave me a free 100 balls on the range so made a good impression haha. My only concern is how busy it is and whether there's as much of a club/social feel as some of the more "traditional" ones seem to have, but guess that shouldn't be my priority as a beginner!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

A great shout! Not overly long but one that rewards short and straight. Always enjoy my rounds there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I went down to Hoebridge this evening to talk through options and they rolled out the red carpet, gave me a free 100 balls on the range so made a good impression haha. My only concern is how busy it is and whether there's as much of a club/social feel as some of the more "traditional" ones seem to have, but guess that shouldn't be my priority as a beginner!
Certainly got busy when I was there - normally as a single green fee player, so understandable.
Also worth 'doing the rounds' of other clubs nearby before making the serious commitment that joining a club can be. They all have their own 'clubality', so finding the right balance of distance/convenience and environment is worthwhile. I'd suggest access to lessons should be high up the priority list in your case.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Thanks, hadn't considered this one as it was slightly outside my range but it's only a couple of minutes beyond Hoebridge so I'd be silly to discount it! I'll have a bit more of a look into it.

I’m a member down there so shout if I can answer any questions etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Give my club Royal Ascot a shout. We have a good academy designed to ease people into playing a full course and also offering age related membership discounts. Loads of friendly roll up groups who will take you under their wing

FELL75

Visit site
West side - nearest clubs to me are Chobham and West Hill (although think the latter is a little bit out of my price and skill range!)
I'm west of Woking too, Horsell to be exact. Went through this process a few years back. Hoebridge is a good track to start on and has good facilities but gets v busy. 5 hour rounds can happen. As others have mentioned there are options such as pyrford/merrist wood/Sutton green that might be in budget. Would look at Chobham, nothing beats a convenient golf course. I've heard it's a bit friendly these days.

MACM85

Visit site
If you are happy travelling to Godalming then Hurtmore isn't a bad shout. At your age a yearly membership is around £600 and is playable all year round. Quite a nice course to get into golf.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I'm west of Woking too, Horsell to be exact.

Hey I used to live there! Kirby Road to be exact. I loved Horsell - fantastic food at the Red Lion and the Beijing, great Indian takeaway and great butchers. I don't really miss Surrey, but I do miss Horsell.

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Do you have any Par 3 courses near you? That was how I started out.

Started with hitting balls on the range etc, then seeing how I fared on a Par 3 course. Once I got to grips with it, I went to a local 9 and then an 18 course after that.

You might fancy throwing yourself in at the deep-end though if your hitting balls well on the range!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'm west of Woking too, Horsell to be exact. Went through this process a few years back. Hoebridge is a good track to start on and has good facilities but gets v busy. 5 hour rounds can happen. As others have mentioned there are options such as pyrford/merrist wood/Sutton green that might be in budget. Would look at Chobham, nothing beats a convenient golf course. I've heard it's a bit friendly these days.

I believe Sutton Green is due to be bulldozed to make a retirement village in the near future.