Looking for Membership at a sensible price in surrey (Woking)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Quite mega climbs and falls on that place mind...true mountain goats territory - but enjoyable in a lovely setting

It's not too bad, I've played a lot worse. But that climb up the 17th on a hot day certainly gets the pump going.
I wouldn't want to play 36 around there though.
Maybe 25 years ago, but not now!
I love the course, always look forward to playing there.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your input its been greatly appreciated!

I have been to have a look at Chobham and while it's very conveniently placed for me, their practice facilities are seriously lacking and their fees considerably more than others in the area (Many thanks Diablo for pointing this out). The driving range isn't really a driving range, its 160 yards long so a 6 iron at best, there is no practice chipping / bunkered green and looking at the course map it doesn't look very well laid out either. With 6 par 3's its pretty short - I can appreciate Peter Alliss had restrictions when designing the course but as its already been said, theres better courses for less money. I was welcomed by the staff and the pro but it was immediately obvious when walking around that there didn't seem to be a member under 60 - don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this; it just seemed to set a tone if that makes sense. Nobody apart from 1 kind chap who showed me to reception acknowledged my being there.

So, with that first impression in mind I headed straight for Merristwood. Jason King the membership manager is a great chap and had all the time in the world for my questions and a tour, he spoke very highly of the chaps on this forum too. I spend a lot of time on the range and practice greens as usually I find an hour here and there between meetings etc for work and the fact that members get free balls for the range and practice greens will save me a lot of additional money over time. The practice chipping green with bunkers really needs to be acknowledged photographically on their website as its great and while the range is off mats in winter its off grass during the better weather months which is a big plus.

Another deciding factor is the junior membership for my son - well its free, need I say more? My 9 year old was welcomed as much as I was and they have some very interesting little schemes for the little ones including a Sunday morning group class for a whopping £3 a lesson. This will give Max a chance to make some new friends too which I think is great!

Overall I'm much more impressed with Merristwood, it's 5 miles from me which is great and Jason has put an offer on the table that quite frankly would be silly not to accept!

Thanks again for all your input!
Joss.

Last edited:

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your input its been greatly appreciated!

I have been to have a look at Chobham and while it's very conveniently placed for me, their practice facilities are seriously lacking and their fees considerably more than others in the area (Many thanks Diablo for pointing this out). The driving range isn't really a driving range, its 160 yards long so a 6 iron at best, there is no practice chipping / bunkered green and looking at the course map it doesn't look very well laid out either. With 6 par 3's its pretty short - I can appreciate Peter Alliss had restrictions when designing the course but as its already been said, theres better courses for less money. I was welcomed by the staff and the pro but it was immediately obvious when walking around that there didn't seem to be a member under 60 - don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this; it just seemed to set a tone if that makes sense. Nobody apart from 1 kind chap who showed me to reception acknowledged my being there.

So, with that first impression in mind I headed straight for Merristwood. Jason King the membership manager is a great chap and had all the time in the world for my questions and a tour, he spoke very highly of the chaps on this forum too. I spend a lot of time on the range and practice greens as usually I find an hour here and there between meetings etc for work and the fact that members get free balls for the range and practice greens will save me a lot of additional money over time. The practice chipping green with bunkers really needs to be acknowledged photographically on their website as its great and while the range is off mats in winter its off grass during the better weather months which is a big plus.

Another deciding factor is the junior membership for my son - well its free, need I say more? My 9 year old was welcomed as much as I was and they have some very interesting little schemes for the little ones including a Sunday morning group class for a whopping £3 a lesson. This will give Max a chance to make some new friends too which I think is great!

Overall I'm much more impressed with Merristwood, it's 5 miles from me which is great and Jason has put an offer on the table that quite frankly would be silly not to accept!

Thanks again for all your input!
Joss.

Think you hit the nail on the head with Chobham. Let me know how it goes at merrist wood as I may look into joining myself.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Think you hit the nail on the head with Chobham. Let me know how it goes at merrist wood as I may look into joining myself.

Sure thing, I'm yet to hit the course as I'm trying to find my feet again on the range. They have been doing a lot on the greens lately with fertiliser and sand and while the greens are still in play they're obviously a little rough. My new irons should be with me middle of next week so I'll christen them on the range and hit the course I think :)

Senseicads

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sure thing, I'm yet to hit the course as I'm trying to find my feet again on the range. They have been doing a lot on the greens lately with fertiliser and sand and while the greens are still in play they're obviously a little rough. My new irons should be with me middle of next week so I'll christen them on the range and hit the course I think :)

Welcome to the club! Yeah greens were tricky yesterday! But this kind of maintenance has to happen and it should set them up for the rest of the summer! :) Jason is a top fella too!

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Joss having spent a good 8 months at Merrist Wood can you give me your feelings now. I am also looking around Guildford for a course for next year. I am particularly interested in the playing options during weekdays Monday/Wed/Friday...and Saturday morning. Does Merrist Wood have roll ups that can be entered by anyone on these days. If so are there guys in my age bracket 40-50 as my current club the guys are at least 20 years older than me. I would very much like to hear from your experience of the course considering the wet October month also whether the course has closed or had restrictions. Finally is the deal regarding range balls unlimited for members use and is the driving range long enoough for more than just irons. Hope you can assist as i am now in a similar situation that you found yourself in April......Matt

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Joss having spent a good 8 months at Merrist Wood can you give me your feelings now. I am also looking around Guildford for a course for next year. I am particularly interested in the playing options during weekdays Monday/Wed/Friday...and Saturday morning. Does Merrist Wood have roll ups that can be entered by anyone on these days. If so are there guys in my age bracket 40-50 as my current club the guys are at least 20 years older than me. I would very much like to hear from your experience of the course considering the wet October month also whether the course has closed or had restrictions. Finally is the deal regarding range balls unlimited for members use and is the driving range long enoough for more than just irons. Hope you can assist as i am now in a similar situation that you found yourself in April......Matt

Hi Matt - I'm a member of Farnham and it meets all the criteria that you have set out anbi e in respect of roll-ups, all year play, age groups, etc , if you fancy a look around PM me and let's arrange a knock.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

Hi, having played a few of the other crown courses and also burhill old, new and Camberley Heath I honestly think it's a cracking course. Even if I had the money for burhill o find MerristWood a nicer corse. With MerristWood there aren't really 2 holes that are even similar and it's quite a challenge while still being quite forgiving due to the space the course is set out on. When you include free range balls and a really decent practice area (practice facilities are the best I've come across in the area) I really don't think you can go wrong for what is one of the cheapest memberships around. Management are prepared to haggle a bit too.

Yes, as long as there's no competition on anyone can roll up on the weekend. I have my usual group but I've played with quite s few of the members now which I'd say vary in age from 30 up. All of which are very friendly might I add.

Im up for renewal in April and I will definitely renew. Was tempted by camberley Heath as it's often in the top 100 GM courses, it's a great course don't get me wrong. It I wouldn't call it value for money.

Last St year was one of the wettest winters for a while according to green keeping staff and they managed to keep it open all year round and there weren't even any temporary greens! Sure it has its spots that get a bit boggy but with winter rules it certainly plays very well.

A very under rated course in my opinion and definitely one of the best crown courses.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am going to pop up to Merrist Wood to look at the range. Sure non members can use it. May speak to someone about membership whilst im there. In regards to midweek play Joss were there any organised roll ups on any of the days....? Working shifts i find mostly have days off in week.
Also how do you find the tee booking system can you still get on if you turn up on the day on the off chance of a game.

Thankyou swinglikehogan for the kind offer of a round at Farnham....i think the yearly fees at the sands just a bit too much of a stretch for my budget at the moment.

Matt

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am going to pop up to Merrist Wood to look at the range. Sure non members can use it. May speak to someone about membership whilst im there. In regards to midweek play Joss were there any organised roll ups on any of the days....? Working shifts i find mostly have days off in week.
Also how do you find the tee booking system can you still get on if you turn up on the day on the off chance of a game.

Thankyou swinglikehogan for the kind offer of a round at Farnham....i think the yearly fees at the sands just a bit too much of a stretch for my budget at the moment.

Matt

No probs - though if you ask I think we might have some deals at the moment. Even so - my offer remains.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'll be joining somewhere in January in the Guildford/Woking are and Merrist was on the short list, I've got a couple of mates there and went for a round about 3 weeks ago. Was really excited to be playing it, will give my honest opinion...

Pros:
Practice area - Very good. You can hit full shots up to driver, grass range, free balls. Short game area impressive too.
Holes - Some good variety. Nothing gimmicky other than 1 stupidly long par 4.
Clubhouse - typical Crown course, very welcoming, Sky TV, decent enough food.
Membership seemed a good mix of ages and friendly enough.

Cons:
It had rained heavily for 1 day 48 hours before and WOW! Parts of the course were just a complete bog. I had been warned that it can get like that but was surprised how wet it was underfoot with very little rain. Can only imagine how bad it might get with a bit more rain. On the flip side, AFAIK (2nd hand info) they dont water the fairways in summer so you get the complete opposite - huge unpredictable bounces which would actually help with the length on some holes.
Greens - They had been spiked so were a complete lottery, but didnt look in the greatest condition anyway.
Bunkers - Without doubt the worst I have ever played in. The bunkers alone would prevent me from joining, they really were that bad.
Fairways - pretty long and hadnt been cut for a while, not much distinction between fairway and first cut (probably a protection against the wetness)

I'm not too sure where your coming from and how far you're prepared to travel or spend, but 10 minutes either side are Guildford and Puttenham (no affiliation to either) which are members courses and IMO much better options. Farnham also a lovely course.

Played another on the list a few days later and it was night and day - bone dry, decent bunkers, fantastic greens, immaculate fairways, greenkeepers everywhere removing leaves etc. Hopefully will be joining in the new year but its more in the Woking area so maybe out of your way.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I've not played Merrist Wood but have played Traditions, which suffers from the same problem with water and their bunkers are atrocious. Last time I played Traditions, I vowed never to play it again. The course was in the worst condition I have ever seen. I think all the bunkers were considered G.U.R, loads of spots in the fairways were bald and also considered G.U.R.

The biggest problem with this area is the water. Just don't even bother if it has rained. Not sure whether the water basin is so high that the water has nowhere to go or if there is another problem that needs to be sorted.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll be joining somewhere in January in the Guildford/Woking are and Merrist was on the short list, I've got a couple of mates there and went for a round about 3 weeks ago. Was really excited to be playing it, will give my honest opinion...

Pros:
Practice area - Very good. You can hit full shots up to driver, grass range, free balls. Short game area impressive too.
Holes - Some good variety. Nothing gimmicky other than 1 stupidly long par 4.
Clubhouse - typical Crown course, very welcoming, Sky TV, decent enough food.
Membership seemed a good mix of ages and friendly enough.

Cons:
It had rained heavily for 1 day 48 hours before and WOW! Parts of the course were just a complete bog. I had been warned that it can get like that but was surprised how wet it was underfoot with very little rain. Can only imagine how bad it might get with a bit more rain. On the flip side, AFAIK (2nd hand info) they dont water the fairways in summer so you get the complete opposite - huge unpredictable bounces which would actually help with the length on some holes.
Greens - They had been spiked so were a complete lottery, but didnt look in the greatest condition anyway.
Bunkers - Without doubt the worst I have ever played in. The bunkers alone would prevent me from joining, they really were that bad.
Fairways - pretty long and hadnt been cut for a while, not much distinction between fairway and first cut (probably a protection against the wetness)

I'm not too sure where your coming from and how far you're prepared to travel or spend, but 10 minutes either side are Guildford and Puttenham (no affiliation to either) which are members courses and IMO much better options. Farnham also a lovely course.

Played another on the list a few days later and it was night and day - bone dry, decent bunkers, fantastic greens, immaculate fairways, greenkeepers everywhere removing leaves etc. Hopefully will be joining in the new year but its more in the Woking area so maybe out of your way.

Puttenham is one of my old clubs.
In my day it was a very friendly club.
One great thing in it's favour is the heathland soil, it makes winter play very enjoyable, almost links like.
I think they are looking for members so it might be an option.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I do like Puttenham but the 5 new holes are on clay and im told by a friend who is a member that they also become almost unplayable after heavy rain. What puts me off more though is its again a very old membership. I played there a while ago and we were behind a fourball that took 4hrs 45 to play 18. If im retired and have the whole day to lose thats fine but not when i have children to see and other half to spend time with.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not a fan of Puttenham, Guildford is ok, but Farnham is the best course out of the three. Of course the best course around Farnham is Hankley, with Hindhead, Liphook and Blackmoor not much further up the road. Hindhead can get wet, but the other three drain really well, so you get plenty of winter golf, on firm courses.:thup:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I am going to pop up to Merrist Wood to look at the range. Sure non members can use it. May speak to someone about membership whilst im there. In regards to midweek play Joss were there any organised roll ups on any of the days....? Working shifts i find mostly have days off in week.Also how do you find the tee booking system can you still get on if you turn up on the day on the off chance of a game.Thankyou swinglikehogan for the kind offer of a round at Farnham....i think the yearly fees at the sands just a bit too much of a stretch for my budget at the momentMatt
Hi Matt,There's regular stuff during the week or if you want a quiet back 9 like I do at around 9:30. I'm flexible work wise and regularly about for a midweek round or 2

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not a fan of Puttenham, Guildford is ok, but Farnham is the best course out of the three. Of course the best course around Farnham is Hankley, with Hindhead, Liphook and Blackmoor not much further up the road. Hindhead can get wet, but the other three drain really well, so you get plenty of winter golf, on firm courses.:thup:

Granted, I was just offering 3 substantially better options than Merrist (IMO of course) that I have played and are within a 10 minute drive of that course. Obviously those you've mentioned are a step up! I'm the other way (Woking) so not really an option for me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Granted, I was just offering 3 substantially better options than Merrist (IMO of course) that I have played and are within a 10 minute drive of that course. Obviously those you've mentioned are a step up! I'm the other way (Woking) so not really an option for me.
Not replying specifically to your post. just giving my opinions on local courses which I have played many times.

If you are the other side of Woking, what about West Byfleet ?