Looking for Membership at a sensible price in surrey (Woking)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yup - the Army is a nice track - they've done a lot of work on the drainage over recent years and when the greens are good they are very good.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is a nice course, played it once and have considered it as an alternative to my current course (Sherfield) - am going up to Farnham on Thursday to have a look, as they have said that i could join one of the Thursday roll ups this week to check it out

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is a nice course, played it once and have considered it as an alternative to my current course (Sherfield) - am going up to Farnham on Thursday to have a look, as they have said that i could join one of the Thursday roll ups this week to check it out

I'm hosting three from here at Farnham GC on Thursday (I'm a member) - we're aiming to get off before the Thursday Roll-Up and before the ladies that start to go off from about 8:45am-9am. The Thursday roll-up is from 9:30am. So if you are about early doors let's say hi.

I haven't played Sherfield but from photos I think that we're quite a bit different (we've abs no water hazards for a start)

Last edited:

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No water hazards - that's not such a bad thing :) Sherfield offers the two 18's & like the people that I have met there but looking for something that bit closer to home in order for me to get a bit more from my membership.
Will do Hogan, thanks - am aiming to get up there a bit earlier to have a look around the facilities beforehand and get a feel for the place.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Farnham always good to play... live in Wales these days and my wife comes from nearby, so we often play somewhere local when go back visiting her mum. (I even used to play football for a team based at The Sands Legion!)

Always seems pretty friendly - need to play decent to score, but doesn't beat you up either

MikeB

Club Champion
Visit site
I've been a member at Farnham for 2 years now & love it. The place drains exceptionally well so plays well all year round unlike some courses nearby.
There are lots of roll ups mid week & weekends and the members are very friendly & welcoming to newcomers.
There's a membership offer on at present 15 months for the price of 12 http://www.farnhamgolfclub.co.uk/

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always good to hear that a club is friendly and that the draining is good - Sherfield has the friendliness but some parts of the courses don't drain as well as others, there's probably a few holes on each 18 that get boggy. That said, in the time I've been there, haven't seen a temp tee or green in play anywhere even if the fairway is not great.
Looking forward to going up to Farnham!

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
dryness of a course is a must. Thankfully the Army is as dry a course I've played , i was told it used to be unplayable before they did major drainage.