The state of golf membership in Surrey

Surreyboy

Visit site
I'm also in Woking but haven't joined a club yet as have young kids. Although there are a fair few of the elite courses around, one bonus for Woking / Surrey is that there are a lot of courses in the area.
Hoebridge is very convenient to practice at without a membership but the course seems oversubscribed. If the traffic to Silvermere puts you off (it's going to be that way for a while unfortunately), then take a look at Chobham or Pine Ridge in the other direction.

I have a young family too and we are not completely set on area, especially with prospect of losing services with our bankrupt council. Another reason it makes it that much more painful to part with a £3k joining fee.

Hoebridge is a nice range, £12 for 100 balls and the temptation by the bar as you hit balls turns it into a pricey bit of practice usually :giggle:

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Army is a good track - enjoy playing it.👍
Absolutely, I do like the course apart from the stupidly long par 3 5th.
I continually get told by the long term members that it is statistically the hardest par 3 in Hampshire - not surprising really when most mortals are hitting driver or 3 wood to it, with a green that slopes away from you. I've played it probably 8 times & I haven't got a tee shot on the green yet :unsure:

Springveldt

Visit site
Absolutely, I do like the course apart from the stupidly long par 3 5th.
I continually get told by the long term members that it is statistically the hardest par 3 in Hampshire - not surprising really when most mortals are hitting driver or 3 wood to it, with a green that slopes away from you. I've played it probably 8 times & I haven't got a tee shot on the green yet :unsure:
We have a par 3 like that. 212 yards off the whites runs north east to south west so usually into the prevailing wind and to top it off the green is only 15 yards wide for the first half of it with bunkers at each side which according to google maps measure tool are 18 yards apart. The back portion of the green is a more generous 23 yards wide but you have to carry it 218 yards to get there and somehow get it to stop. I've hit the green twice in my last 15 rounds looking at Shot Scope, average score is 3.8 in those rounds. I'm happy to get a 4 on it and just move on.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a par 3 like that. 212 yards off the whites runs north east to south west so usually into the prevailing wind and to top it off the green is only 15 yards wide for the first half of it with bunkers at each side which according to google maps measure tool are 18 yards apart. The back portion of the green is a more generous 23 yards wide but you have to carry it 218 yards to get there and somehow get it to stop. I've hit the green twice in my last 15 rounds looking at Shot Scope, average score is 3.8 in those rounds. I'm happy to get a 4 on it and just move on.
Absolutely, when the par 3's are like that, I'm snatching your hand off if you offer me a 4. I don't like par 3's that are long for the sake of it, particularly when there's no variety - the shortest one we have, it's a good 6 iron at the moment, whereas the other two are a 3/4 wood (on the hole I mentioned before) and a good 5 iron/7 wood. Not sure why some clubs seem to have little to no interest in a little testing 120/130 yard par 3 (apart from they want the course total yardage to be long).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely, when the par 3's are like that, I'm snatching your hand off if you offer me a 4. I don't like par 3's that are long for the sake of it, particularly when there's no variety - the shortest one we have, it's a good 6 iron at the moment, whereas the other two are a 3/4 wood (on the hole I mentioned before) and a good 5 iron/7 wood. Not sure why some clubs seem to have little to no interest in a little testing 120/130 yard par 3 (apart from they want the course total yardage to be long).
I hate courses that don't have a short and mid length par 3. You need to have some variety, some respite. If I'm looking for somewhere to play a golf day, I tend to rule out any course where the par 3s are all 160+. Just not as much fun.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why we are looking to build a new tee to convert our 166yd 13th into a 135ydr. Will give us four par 3s that we could set up as 135, 160, 185 and 210.

Springveldt

Visit site
I hate courses that don't have a short and mid length par 3. You need to have some variety, some respite. If I'm looking for somewhere to play a golf day, I tend to rule out any course where the par 3s are all 160+. Just not as much fun.
We have 5 par 3's and on a typical Saturday off the whites if the pins are all in the middle you are looking at 165, 212, 185, 195 and 155 yards. All of them have fairly narrow greens, 4 of them have bunkers at each side and the other (185 yard one) has hedges right and long, pond short left and bunker short right. Can really make or break your card on them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I love that. A bit of variety. Will they all play in a different direction? That’s when you have the most versatile set up options
Assuming the prevailing wind, in playing order, the 160 has a RtoL cross wind; the 185 is against the wind; the 135 is downwind, and the 210 is back against the wind. Plus our bunkering has been changed to give heavy and deep bunkering round the 160 and the 135, with both the 185 and 210 having a single front right greenside bunker.

BogiesAreOkActually

Visit site
Bit late to this thread but I'm also in Woking, trying to find a club.
Seems like Foxhills is the only one that's actually open (HoeBridge says they're full for new members...)
I assume even if you expand the search to 'silly' clubs like the OPs examples they're still all full?
Any other good ideas?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Seems like Foxhills is the only one that's actually open (HoeBridge says they're full for new members...)
I assume even if you expand the search to 'silly' clubs like the OPs examples they're still all full?
Any other good ideas?
Give a couple of years and these same clubs will be advertising big discounts for new members, just like they were 10 years ago.

Visit site
Any other good ideas?

Foxhills is £5k per year and the courses don’t play well in winter, i’d argue its more in “country club” territory!

Sadly I suspect Woking, Worplesdon, West Hill, and all the surrounding top 100 clubs are full. I have a sneaky feeling that the same people are on all the waiting lists at multiple clubs, which gives an illusion of demand far outweighing supply, yet I suspect a couple of big price hikes will see membership thin out and then waiting lists will disappear quite quickly.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We get discounted rates at foxhills, lovely but would never join it. It’s a big fest from the end of October through to the end of feb / mid march.

Plenty of eye candy tho!

AussieKB

Visit site
Played Foxhills quite a few years ago, luckily the summer and it was in good condition, but I do remember the eye candy when we were having a drink after, made up for an average day on the course.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Foxhills is £5k per year and the courses don’t play well in winter, i’d argue its more in “country club” territory!

Sadly I suspect Woking, Worplesdon, West Hill, and all the surrounding top 100 clubs are full. I have a sneaky feeling that the same people are on all the waiting lists at multiple clubs, which gives an illusion of demand far outweighing supply, yet I suspect a couple of big price hikes will see membership thin out and then waiting lists will disappear quite quickly.
Doing a lot of (much needed) work on the courses at the moment I believe,

FELL75

Visit site
Doing a lot of (much needed) work on the courses at the moment I believe,
Yep, the Longcross course has seen plenty of drainage work (most of the back 9) and hole changes (9 and 16 completely new greens). The Bernhard Hunt, needs some drainage on the middle holes of the front 9, but they are throwing a few quid at both courses.