The state of golf membership in Surrey

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
True. In my industry it's about double what we earn in the UK. Not sure of the housing and other associated costs (health care is a big cost if your employer doesn't provide)

I’m in the States at the moment and, compared to my last visit here six years ago, prices have rocketed.

I always look at property prices when I’m here, and the sort of villas with pools you could pick up for £200k or thereabouts on 2017 come in at well over double that now. Basic food prices have gone through the roof. I would imagine living here now is prohibitively expensive. Suffice to say, the golf course next to where I’m staying has been very quiet during the last week or so.

The only plus side is fuel. I’m filling a 50 litre tank for about £45.

Surreyboy

Visit site
That's got to be the answer.

Get on the waiting list at W Byfleet, and play one of the others in the interim.
Yeah that most likely is the answer.

I had a walk around Pyrford Lakes today, course just seems wild with all the water. Not sure how enjoyable that would be playing in comps and never wanting to get a driver out.

Surreyboy

Visit site
wbgc.jpg

Fallen at first hurdle, cant even complete the application form o_O

Been a member of 3 members clubs over the last 15 years never had this before. Guess just different way of doing things round these parts.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Personally cannot stand Pyrford, have played it many a time. Granted they’ve pumped a load of money into the facilities and the place looks good but the course is just missing a few windmills IMO.

Hoebridge isn’t a bad track given it’s largely pay and play. Silvermere has excellent facilities however it can be a mission to get to if traffic is against you and then be even slower on the course.

I’ll be looking at membership next week and so far Clandon Regis is likely to be first choice.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
The solution is simple, move up north.

You can sell your Surrey 2 bed semi and buy a five-bed mansion in a couple of acres. You can walk into just about any club up here, heck, for the price of some of those clubs in Surrey you'll be able to buy a club up here. Oh! And as an added bonus the beer is far superior.
As are the people! And I say that as somebody who lived in surrey for 50 years and have lived in Yorkshire for more than 10 years.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 48737

Been a member of 3 members clubs over the last 15 years never had this before. Guess just different way of doing things round these parts.

Do you not meet the requirements of line 3 of the application form.

From what you have said it sounded like you have moved there from outside of the area.

Personally I would discuss it with the secretary/manager.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not a great place to be if you’re young, have a family, or just want golf to be a cheap hobby!
Having moved from Woking to Somerset albeit 30 plus years ago was the fact that it was noticeable that the only way to play golf in this area was to join a club (only 2 clubs close to where I lived at that time).

When I lived in Woking there were a lot of pay and play courses within a reasonable travelling time and quite a few at very reasonable cost.

DamonG

Banned
Visit site
View attachment 48737

My advice would be fill in the form and attach a letter explaining your circumstances for the secretary.
If West Byfleet is your club of choice i would apply to become a social member in the meantime and make the effort to intergrate with the existing members. You will find a proposor and seconder in no time.

The elite clubs all require a proposer and sconder, its nothing new.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Proposers and Seconders - get rid of this stupidity asap.

It will kill golf.
Don’t be ridiculous. It won’t kill golf at all. This sort of membership application is fairly rare. There are plenty of courses which don’t require this and if you have the money your membership is assured.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree entirely, but in terms of immediate access to a course in the area it's either Pyrford or Hoe Bridge. Silvermere also a possibility but road up there is a mare at the minute.
I'm also in Woking but haven't joined a club yet as have young kids. Although there are a fair few of the elite courses around, one bonus for Woking / Surrey is that there are a lot of courses in the area.
Hoebridge is very convenient to practice at without a membership but the course seems oversubscribed. If the traffic to Silvermere puts you off (it's going to be that way for a while unfortunately), then take a look at Chobham or Pine Ridge in the other direction.