The state of golf membership in Surrey

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It is simply a case of supply and demand, while the demand is high the fees will be set accordingly. It also keeps the undesirables out of clubs.
Oh how I would love to be deemed an undesirable.
I would then have a word to describe someone who would deem me such. Well, who wouldn't?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends on what you mean by "normal people money."

Many are full, but you list the most difficult to enter.

Have you spoken to Guildford, Puttenham or Bramley? Not sure what West Byfleet is like to get in these days.

You've got public ones like Silvermere and Hoebridge. Newer ones like Pyrford.

@SwingsitlikeHogan is at Farnham. What's that like for fees?
We are just under £2k with same joining fee. Plus we are full with a long waiting list…🙁

I believe our membership costs are pretty much consistent with similar members courses in the Surrey/Hants/Berks borders area.

DamonG

Banned
Visit site
I hope you're being intentionally flippant. Plenty of people with money are complete a-holes.

It's reality whether you like it or not. Golf Clubs charge increased prices in affluent areas as they know they'll get it. If you happen to live in an affluent area but cannot afford the fees then there's other clubs to suit such budget. If you want quality, it costs. Standard economics.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It's reality whether you like it or not. Golf Clubs charge increased prices in affluent areas as they know they'll get it. If you happen to live in an affluent area but cannot afford the fees then there's other clubs to suit such budget. If you want quality, it costs. Standard economics.

The reality is there are some complete bell ends that have money. Putting the fees up to stop poorer people joining just means you don’t get the less wealthy bell ends at the club.

Clubs can charge what they like, as you say, but higher green fee’s definitely do not equate to better people being members. Infact, from my experience, it can often have the opposite effect.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The reality is there are some complete bell ends that have money. Putting the fees up to stop poorer people joining just means you don’t get the less wealthy bell ends at the club.

Clubs can charge what they like, as you say, but higher green fee’s definitely do not equate to better people being members. Infact, from my experience, it can often have the opposite effect.

It generally means you get better cars in the car park too. Quality of the car park is a criteria on the top 100 scoring, so understandable to want it to be well presented.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It generally means you get better cars in the car park too. Quality of the car park is a criteria on the top 100 scoring, so understandable to want it to be well presented.
i've heard that some of the top 100 scoring committe have left a course before getting out of their cars, based on the state of the car park

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

imagine paying god knows who much to join Queenwood and having to put up with John Terry as a member or The London Club with Jimmy "bantz" Bullard

MACM85

Visit site
imagine paying god knows who much to join Queenwood and having to put up with John Terry as a member or The London Club with Jimmy "bantz" Bullard

If we are being pedantic. JT is a member at Wentworth and Bullard a member of the Wisley but I get your point!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
My house virtually backs onto New Zealand, very frustrating to be so close but so far. West Byfleet is walking distance but is full, I have been told several years waiting list and they hiked joining fee right up.

The area isn't even that populated, God knows how the courses are so full.

West Byfleet is 100+ on waiting list so looking a 3 years, churn is usually 30-40 a year.

Joining fee only gone up 20% in 6 years I’ve been there. They want to keep it below 3k. Fees gone up 40% in same period.

Personally can’t stand Pyrford, and members i know complain like crazy as they stack every possible tee time. 5+ hours to get round unless you’re out before 7am.

Hoebridge/Chobham would be what I’d look at whilst putting yourself down on a waiting list somewhere better

Foxhills always take new members but chunky joining fee and a bog in winter

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have learned not to compare prices from here to the US. They just earn so much more than we do in basically every industry.
Whilst I haven't looked into their salaries in comparison to mine. The course I looked at seemed to be a typical £1000 a year course here. I'd be amazed if those playing there are getting triple the salary of those using a 1k course in the UK

DamonG

Banned
Visit site

Your point is irrelevant to the topic.

I am intrigued to hear your experience's.

DamonG

Banned
Visit site
That's got to be the answer.

Get on the waiting list at W Byfleet, and play one of the others in the interim.
West Byfleet is one of my favourite course's, always play well there and the 3 members who regularly invite me are great guys.