The state of golf membership in Surrey

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's got to be the answer.

Get on the waiting list at W Byfleet, and play one of the others in the interim.

I am reminded of something from a few years back
Broadstone had a long waiting list. They decided they could up the number of members only to find the majority on their waiting list had joined elsewhere.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Broadstone had a long waiting list. They decided they could up the number of members only to find the majority on their waiting list had joined elsewhere.
We are developing a strategy and interim offers for those on our waiting list as we recognise the risk of it vanishing as and when other clubs have availability.

D

Deleted member 1147

Last I knew they still have a waiting list

DamonG

Banned
Visit site
So you think people with more money are ‘better’ people?

No. You're trying to put words into my mouth so please stop your trolling, you've already got your own personal LIV thread for that.

Lets get back to the topic and share your story with us.

DamonG

Banned
Visit site
When did this happen? My father has been a member there for over 30yrs, i'll ask him about it tomorrow when we play tomorrow.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
No. You're trying to put words into my mouth so please stop your trolling, you've already got your own personal LIV thread for that.

Lets get back to the topic and share your story with us.

You’re the one claiming higher membership fees keep out the “undesirables” buddy.

You might want to elaborate on that?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Is golf membership in Surrey in a "state" then?

I was wondering that. 😁😁 There's loads of courses, from world class to pay and play. Some are full, some are not.

I moved from Surrey to Wiltshire. Similar sized county, has only 20% of the courses Surrey has, and not one of them is worth driving over an hour to, and the majority are awful!🤣🤣🤣

So, my sympathy has a limit😂

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If high costs of membership are intended to keep "undesirables" away, then it is strategy that is designed to fail miserably, in my view.

But this does depend on a definition of "undesirable" as applied to a person who wishes to be a member of a golf club. Opinions on this will vary from person to person.

If you choose to label a person as undesirable then I think you should accept their description of you with equal candour.

Visit site
Surrey‘s clubs are all full, with waiting lists, so certainly the clubs will be happy with that. It’s not a great place to be if you’re young, have a family, or just want golf to be a cheap hobby!

The interesting thing at my club is… we’re full yet we’re relatively skint. However, the “state” is that the club is made up of a good chunk of members with fairly normal jobs and lives. In order for the club to be flush, they’d need to up the fees and a lot of those members would be out the door, paving the way for the genuinely rich 🤑

There’s a select few wanting big subs increases to get lots of cash flowing through the club but it’s a very tricky trade off

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Clubs set their fees based on demand and the price the facilities can carry. That's a function of several other features.

@Voyager EMH is barred from many clubs as he doesn't spend enough in the pro shop on "new" equipment!😁😁😁😁
We have set our target/optimal number of full members (ladies plus gents) based upon likely course loading and membership tee time demand; we know our projected costs for a year; the arithmetic required to calculate the full membership annual subs is then not of the complicated variety. Nowhere in our finance reporting do the words hoi and polloi appear 🙄

Last edited: