The state of golf membership in Surrey

Surreyboy

Visit site
Having recently moved to the Woking/Byfleet area of Surrey, i am shocked by the lack of options for golf clubs taking members, for normal people money.

Has this always been a problem in this part of Surrey? There are loads of golf courses but most don't take new members.

Can't help but feel if you want to take prime land and resources, then restrict it to 100 or 200 rich people, the land should be taken for development or public use instead. Looking at you Queenswood/Wisley/New Zealand, could list more

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah Surrey is mad expensive for golf. Probably highest in the country? I was looking at courses round there a month ago, we ended up playing at Silvermere for about £45 each and that was one of the cheaper ones.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Try the US. Mates have recently returned from Pebble Beach. Obviously I enviously looked at all the courses on their tour. One of em looked like it was surrounded by a caravan park. $425 a month. Did get to use the gym though.

Surreyboy

Visit site
Try the US. Mates have recently returned from Pebble Beach. Obviously I enviously looked at all the courses on their tour. One of em looked like it was surrounded by a caravan park. $425 a month. Did get to use the gym though.

I have learned not to compare prices from here to the US. They just earn so much more than we do in basically every industry.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Depends on what you mean by "normal people money."

Many are full, but you list the most difficult to enter.

Have you spoken to Guildford, Puttenham or Bramley? Not sure what West Byfleet is like to get in these days.

You've got public ones like Silvermere and Hoebridge. Newer ones like Pyrford.

@SwingsitlikeHogan is at Farnham. What's that like for fees?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Having recently moved to the Woking/Byfleet area of Surrey, i am shocked by the lack of options for golf clubs taking members, for normal people money.

Has this always been a problem in this part of Surrey? There are loads of golf courses but most don't take new members.

Can't help but feel if you want to take prime land and resources, then restrict it to 100 or 200 rich people, the land should be taken for development or public use instead. Looking at you Queenswood/Wisley/New Zealand, could list more

You couldnt have picked 3 more exclusive courses in the area!

Surreyboy

Visit site
You couldnt have picked 3 more exclusive courses in the area!
My house virtually backs onto New Zealand, very frustrating to be so close but so far. West Byfleet is walking distance but is full, I have been told several years waiting list and they hiked joining fee right up.

The area isn't even that populated, God knows how the courses are so full.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have learned not to compare prices from here to the US. They just earn so much more than we do in basically every industry.
Personally I think you should compare prices to the USA. Because they are daft/stupid/thick enough to pay those prices. It reflects on the rest of the world should you want to play abroad.

Last edited:

Teebs

Visit site

True. In my industry it's about double what we earn in the UK. Not sure of the housing and other associated costs (health care is a big cost if your employer doesn't provide)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
True. In my industry it's about double what we earn in the UK. Not sure of the housing and other associated costs (health care is a big cost if your employer doesn't provide)
I’d bet it doesn’t work out too much different when cost of living is taken into account.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The area isn't even that populated, God knows how the courses are so full.

Blimey. I moved away in the 90s. When I go back I think its rammed!

Have you returned from Hong Kong? 😁

Anyway. Forget what you "have been told," go in the office and get the facts. Sometimes you get a nice suprise.

I've recently had emails advertising membership at Guildford and Puttenham. They can't be full.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Farnham also have a couple of years waiting list as well, as tried to join this year - costs weren't too bad but if the OP lives that close to New Zealand, that would be an arse of a journey

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I moved from Woking to where I am now and was taken aback by how little it cost here compared with Surrey and also how easy it was to get membership here compared with Surrey.
On a waiting list in Surrey for 3 years here 5 day straight away and full membership at the start of the new financial year.

That was many years ago but from what I have heard nothing has changed.

New Zealand has always been an 'exclusive' club

Whilst I was on a waiting list I mainly used to play on pay and play courses or munis

e.g. Hoe Bridge, The Downshire and a couple of other courses that have now closed such as Southwood.

No idea what it is like but have you considered Pyrford Lakes.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I’d recommend Pyrford Lakes. No joining fee and accepting members, they’ve got a new clubhouse, keep the greens in great shape and it’s an interesting course. Though you may lose a few balls as the name suggests!

Alternatively stick your name on WBGC waiting list. That’s where I play (and previously at PL) so happy to answer any questions via PM. A friend of mine joined Hoe Bridge and had no complaints too

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’d recommend Pyrford Lakes. No joining fee and accepting members, they’ve got a new clubhouse, keep the greens in great shape and it’s an interesting course. Though you may lose a few balls as the name suggests!

Alternatively stick your name on WBGC waiting list. That’s where I play (and previously at PL) so happy to answer any questions via PM. A friend of mine joined Hoe Bridge and had no complaints too
Pyrford is very marmite and doesn’t appeal to all. I personally love it but it’s definitely not a “ bombers “ course.

DamonG

Banned
Visit site
It is simply a case of supply and demand, while the demand is high the fees will be set accordingly. It also keeps the undesirables out of clubs.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Pyrford is very marmite and doesn’t appeal to all. I personally love it but it’s definitely not a “ bombers “ course.
Agree entirely, but in terms of immediate access to a course in the area it's either Pyrford or Hoe Bridge. Silvermere also a possibility but road up there is a mare at the minute.