Membership at a club in the Weybridge / Surrey area?

RobinOldLadies

Visit site
Anyone got any good recommendations for clubs in the weybridge ish Surrey area.
I’ve only currently got a viewing around Foxhills, as it includes the gym and all, but are there any other better options around?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
There’s a lot of good courses down that way, but very different budgets…..my brother lives in Hersham and is a member at The Drift over in East Horsley. I enjoy playing there but can get wet in the winter.

Chertsey, Silvermere, Hoebridge the lower end, Burhill, Woking, Worplesdon, West Hill, New Zealand, Byfleet and more at the other end

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
You need to ask yourself what you want from a club, as well as the budget.
Such as:
Are you wanting to "join in" with swindles, make new friends, etc.?
Are you playing weekdays and weekends, and if so, will too many visitors and societies annoy you/reduce desired tee times, etc.? I say this, because Silvermere can be stupidly busy, as can Foxhills to an extent.
Do they enough comps / league teams, etc. if you want those?

RobinOldLadies

Visit site
You need to ask yourself what you want from a club, as well as the budget.
Such as:
Are you wanting to "join in" with swindles, make new friends, etc.?
Are you playing weekdays and weekends, and if so, will too many visitors and societies annoy you/reduce desired tee times, etc.? I say this, because Silvermere can be stupidly busy, as can Foxhills to an extent.
Do they enough comps / league teams, etc. if you want those?
Sorry, it was extremely vague wasn’t it.
im looking for a social club that will have events and what not, which is why Foxhills has peaked my interest. I’ve been to silvermere a few times and, as you’ve said, it always seems stupidly busy with visitors if anything, I think I’d prefer a more private feel if that’s possible, I’d say with a budget up into the £2500 per year range, but obviously the cheaper the better

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Sorry, it was extremely vague wasn’t it.
im looking for a social club that will have events and what not, which is why Foxhills has peaked my interest. I’ve been to silvermere a few times and, as you’ve said, it always seems stupidly busy with visitors if anything, I think I’d prefer a more private feel if that’s possible, I’d say with a budget up into the £2500 per year range, but obviously the cheaper the better
I can't give you any recommendations, as I'm in Kent.
What I can say is West Hill, Woking and Worpselsden would certainly give you private feel, but you'll pay for it!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m in the Woking area and spent a lot of time looking around a couple of years ago…

Woking - forget it unless you know someone that can introduce you. Approx £4.5k joining and £2.5k subs

New Zealand same as woking.

West Hill - long waiting list that you can join for around £500. Similar prices to Woking.

Worplesdon - same as above.

Burhill. More expensive than the 3 W’s and not as good. You’re paying for the pleasure of 2 courses. Joining was over £5k can’t remember the exact figures but subs was around £3k

Silvermere is packed to the rafters most weekends. Only played once and it was a near 5h round. Some great holes and some very poor ones.

MerristWood - now only pay and play and during summer it’s a good test but not the best condition.

Guildford - like most clay course it struggles in winter but has some great holes. A good mix but is very undulating, the 17th finished me off - lol. Very reasonably priced with no joining fee (may have changed now) and around £1700 subs.

Sutton Green - there’s planning underway for the land to be sold and developed into a retirement village. Not sure how far that got but a friend has recently left due to being unhappy there. No practice facilities but reasonably priced at around £1800 subs and £1000 joining fee. Course was a bit dull and boring imo.

Foxhills - excellent practice facilities but, and I apologise to any members, it’s overpriced for what it is. Played it a couple of days after a big event last year (PGA cup?) and it was shocking in places.

The drift has now got a lengthy waiting list following the floodlit driving range and several course improvements. I believe it was £1750 joining and £1750 subs.

Have you considered West Byfleet? Cheaper than the 3 W’s and a decent course. It was £1500 joining and £1800 subs when I enquired.
Camberley Heath - very nice course, was around £2.5k joining and £2.3k subs. Felt a little commercial to me and there’s no practice facilities.
Sand Martins - seemed like an older couples style of membership. Great course although short but it’s well kept.
Windlesham - gets very wet in winter and is way overpriced if you ask me. Was £2.5k joining and £2.5k subs

Chobham is always advertising for members and looks quiet (I live on the border of the course) but it also struggles with wet muddy winters. Members are generally of the older generation and theres very limited practice areas.

Tandridge is a bit of a drive but a cracking course. Unsure of their status but I know they have a huge drainage project underway at the moment.

Farnham the sands. £1750 joining and £1750 subs. I believe they have space. Free driving range and a great little short game area. Just a pig to get to from where I am.

Sadly, although being spoilt for choice around here it’s extremely limiting. I’d definitely put your name down on West Hills waiting list if you’re in the area for the foreseeable but last I heard it was approx 4 years.

It’s a 30 min trek but I ended up at Hindhead but their waiting list is now 4+ years too.

Last edited:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Guildford is up on the Downs. Thought they were chalk and my memory is of the course draining well.

Mind you , I left the area in 1988! :ROFLMAO:
I think parts of it are. I think it was the 3rd… long par 5 slightly uphill. Fairway was unplayable very early spring a couple of years back. From around the 5th onwards it was much better.

WGCRider

Visit site
I’m in the Woking area and spent a lot of time looking around a couple of years ago…

Woking - forget it unless you know someone that can introduce you. Approx £4.5k joining and £2.5k subs

West Hill - long waiting list that you can join for around £500. Similar prices to Woking.

Burhill. More expensive than the 3 W’s and not as good. You’re paying for the pleasure of 2 courses. Joining was over £5k can’t remember the exact figures but subs was around £3k

Silvermere is packed to the rafters most weekends. Only played once and it was a near 5h round. Some great holes and some very poor ones.

MerristWood - now only pay and play and during summer it’s a good test but not the best condition.

Guildford - like most clay course it struggles in winter but has some great holes. A good mix but is very undulating, the 17th finished me off - lol. Very reasonably priced with no joining fee (may have changed now) and around £1700 subs.

Sutton Green - there’s planning underway for the land to be sold and developed into a retirement village. Not sure how far that got but a friend has recently left due to being unhappy there. No practice facilities but reasonably priced at around £1800 subs and £1000 joining fee. Course was a bit dull and boring imo.

Foxhills - excellent practice facilities but, and I apologise to any members, it’s overpriced for what it is. Played it a couple of days after a big event last year (PGA cup?) and it was shocking in places.

The drift has now got a lengthy waiting list following the floodlit driving range and several course improvements. I believe it was £1750 joining and £1750 subs.

Have you considered West Byfleet? Cheaper than the 3 W’s and a decent course. It was £1500 joining and £1800 subs when I enquired.
Camberley Heath - very nice course, was around £2.5k joining and £2.3k subs. Felt a little commercial to me and there’s no practice facilities.
Sand Martins - seemed like an older couples style of membership. Great course although short but it’s well kept.
Windlesham - gets very wet in winter and is way overpriced if you ask me. Was £2.5k joining and £2.5k subs

Chobham is always advertising for members and looks quiet (I live on the border of the course) but it also struggles with wet muddy winters. Members are generally of the older generation and theres very limited practice areas.

Tandridge is a bit of a drive but a cracking course. Unsure of their status but I know they have a huge drainage project underway at the moment.

Farnham the sands. £1750 joining and £1750 subs. I believe they have space. Free driving range and a great little short game area. Just a pig to get to from where I am.

Sadly, although being spoilt for choice around here it’s extremely limiting. I’d definitely put your name down on West Hills waiting list if you’re in the area for the foreseeable but last I heard it was approx 4 years.

It’s a 30 min trek but I ended up at Hindhead but their waiting list is now 4+ years too.

I score this post 2/10.

The content is a 10, but you lose 8 points for even suggesting it's possible to get round Silvermere in under 5 hours at the weekend. It will be closer to 6.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Update to @J55TTC post. Farnham Sands is full with a long waiting list…but always worthwhile having a chat with the club if interested. Membership renewal is end March and clearly that’s when some memberships may not be renewed and so there may be some scope then.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site

Spot on, a couple of builds:

- Pyrford Lakes: Worth a look, massive amount of investment in course and currently redeveloping their clubhouse. They do have a membership base but they have a significant p&p element too. Rounds can be lengthy. There are a range of flexi membership options and no joining fee, standard 7-day membership is about £1900. It does get wet (clue is in the name) but as I said a massive amount of investment and work to keep it open during wet weather and in good condition. Definitely worth playing the course a few times before committing as tends to be one that divides opinion, I personally enjoy it.

- West Byfleet: £3k joining fee, subs about £2k from April. I think course is seriously underrated and a great test. The cynic in me thinks it’s the lack of heather (that seems to be obligatory round here!) that keeps it from getting higher up the lists and talked about more. Traditional members’ club with loads of comps and roll ups. Waiting list was quite long.

Shout if you want any further info on either

Alan Clifford

Visit site
just come to Clandon Golf. We are on chalk. Only ever closes on Christmas day and that's not because it's soggy. A visitor for one of the local bogs asked me if it was wet the other day; I said "yes, very, but you'll think it's dry". Essentially a pay and play but with membership. The greens are way, way above the level you would expect. Every hole is different. Back nine is more interesting.

Mike79

Visit site
We (family membership) joined Foxhills this time last year and have really enjoyed our time there. Plenty competition rounds in the year, great social side with other new members and not had an issue booking a round (so long as you are quick on the 15 day booking window) and if you do struggle, you can normally find a spot with another member. Only gripe I'd have is that range balls are not included with your membership, but the practice facilities are very good.

Longcross is the nicer course in my mind, but play more on Bernard Hunt over winter as it drains better. Lots of investment in the courses at the moment to redesign holes/bunkers/greens, and along with some Esso pipeline works the courses at the moment don't look their best, so keep that in mind when you visit - this is as bad as the courses will be, and from April through to October/November they both looks fantastic (and the fairways stayed green all summer!)

Gym is a decent size and rarely busy. Outdoor pool is fantastic through the summer.

I'd recommend it