Looking for Membership at a sensible price in surrey (Woking)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Fair distance between those two; why between the two if I might make so bold? the one time I've played at Surbiton I found them a very friendly bunch, more so than west Byfleet but that's not to say that West Byfleet, weren't friendly, maybe just a touch more reserved. Of the two courses I'd rate West Byfleet the better test and the better looking.

I'm based in Hersham so for me there isn't a huge difference in distance, I'm pretty much slap bang in the middle. Played Surbiton numerous times and West Byfleet the once. I'd need to play the latter a few times before making a proper decision.

I found both similar in feel so I guess it would come down to the course and I would tend to agree that WB wins on that front.

el marko

Head Pro
Visit site
I am also in the same situation as you this year, however I was a member at chobham 2 years ago. Really enjoyed the course as it's very well kept. Not the friendliest though and the members are mostly pensioners. There's a reason there's only around 15 members that are under 30

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I am also in the same situation as you this year, however I was a member at chobham 2 years ago. Really enjoyed the course as it's very well kept. Not the friendliest though and the members are mostly pensioners. There's a reason there's only around 15 members that are under 30

Thanks for your input el marko. Out of interest how do you rate the course and practice facilities at Chobham? Have you joined elsewhere now and if so where?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thanks for your input el marko. Out of interest how do you rate the course and practice facilities at Chobham? Have you joined elsewhere now and if so where?

I think Chobham may have realised they have a problem. I've played a few times, never had any interaction with the membership. Last time out a 4 ball of older ladies made a real effort in the bar to come up to us and ask what we thought about the course, how we played etc which was rather refreshing.

As for the course, well it's OK. Gets very wet, and for the price there are far, far better courses within 20 minutes drive, or similar level for cheaper.

Merrist Wood also gets horrendously wet!

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmmm, Burhill isn't very far away....

What's the deal with juniors there? Are they welcome?

i know the surrey juniors are based there but thats the only info i have

They do classes for children but for more info you would need to check

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Chobham may have realised they have a problem. I've played a few times, never had any interaction with the membership. Last time out a 4 ball of older ladies made a real effort in the bar to come up to us and ask what we thought about the course, how we played etc which was rather refreshing.

As for the course, well it's OK. Gets very wet, and for the price there are far, far better courses within 20 minutes drive, or similar level for cheaper.

Merrist Wood also gets horrendously wet!

Thanks Diablo!

You say there's better courses for similar money, can you make some suggestions if it's not too much trouble? Thanks!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thanks Diablo!

You say there's better courses for similar money, can you make some suggestions if it's not too much trouble? Thanks!

It depends where you live, and I dont know anything about junior setups.

But (in no particular order!) - Burhill, Pyrford, The Drift, Clandon Regis are all decent tracks for less money (I believe), or if you headed south for 20 minutes then you'd come across Guildford, Farnham, Puttenham etc which are far superior for similar money.

There's nothing really wrong with Chobham, I just think subs are ~£300 overpriced.

Hoebridge also a better track and cheaper, but the 5 hour rounds every week would kill me! Would be an option if you're just playing weekend mornings though.

D

Deleted member 15344

Would it be too much travel to go to Blackmoor ?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
If you do want to travel a bit further more than welcome to sort a game at my place. We have a thriving junior section as well

You're turning this into a much harder decision than I first anticipated. Royal Ascot is actually quite close, I'm in West End village.

I would definitely be up for a visit. Can I be rude and ask what the annual fees are? I see they too have dropped the joining fee for 7 day memberships.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
It depends where you live, and I dont know anything about junior setups.

But (in no particular order!) - Burhill, Pyrford, The Drift, Clandon Regis are all decent tracks for less money (I believe), or if you headed south for 20 minutes then you'd come across Guildford, Farnham, Puttenham etc which are far superior for similar money.

There's nothing really wrong with Chobham, I just think subs are ~£300 overpriced.

Hoebridge also a better track and cheaper, but the 5 hour rounds every week would kill me! Would be an option if you're just playing weekend mornings though.

Thanks Diablo!

i think I have a hell of a lot of research to do.

perhaps everyone can chime in on this one... Is it me or have subs reduced over the years? I swear when I was looking into this a few years ago just about everything was around the £3k mark - perhaps I had the collective sum of joking fees and subs in mind

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a member at west byfleet and would recommend it to anyone. Course drains as well as any in the local area and has been open and perfectly playable throughout the wet winter. I know there's a junior academy on a Saturday morning that seems very popular. Not sure we there there is still a joining fee or not these days but I know it can be spread over a number of years so perhaps that may soften the blow.

Senseicads

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Which ever you decide make sure you come back and let us know which one you have picked! :) Also if you have a go round a few courses let us know your opinions too! People can get quite protective over the courses that the play on so it's nice to be able to get an outside opinion on them! :)

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'm a member at west byfleet and would recommend it to anyone. Course drains as well as any in the local area and has been open and perfectly playable throughout the wet winter. I know there's a junior academy on a Saturday morning that seems very popular. Not sure we there there is still a joining fee or not these days but I know it can be spread over a number of years so perhaps that may soften the blow.

I could walk there and if it didnt have its joining fee I'd sign up tomorrow! Annoying (for me!) that its the only course of that level in the area that still has a joining fee. I'm under 30 so will have to decide in next couple of years if I want to sign up as the fee is reduced for me. No way I can justify equivalent of 2.5 years fees upfront if not.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I could walk there and if it didnt have its joining fee I'd sign up tomorrow! Annoying (for me!) that its the only course of that level in the area that still has a joining fee. I'm under 30 so will have to decide in next couple of years if I want to sign up as the fee is reduced for me. No way I can justify equivalent of 2.5 years fees upfront if not.

I agree, West Byfleet looks like a great place but unfortunately is over budget for me at the moment.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Welcome along. I've heard the same rumours about Chobham being cliquey. Why not look at Hoebridge although it can be horrendously busy and slow in the summer. Same with Silvermere. Pyrford isn't too far away and worth a look. There's Traditions down the road from there but that gets very wet in winter

The last time I played Traditions (last summer) it was absolutely horrendous. The course was in the worst condition I have ever seen. Almost all the bunkers were ground under repair, half of the fairways didn't have much grass on them and the greens were slow and poorly mowed.
Unless someone told me otherwise, I will never play there again.