LIV Golf

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Seeing as this is a golf forum and this is a Liv golf thread.

Which team do you think will win the 2024 championship.?

I'm going for more of an outsider in Torque GC

Wow! A brilliant, if somewhat an embarrassing question for the vast majority who debate LIV on here. So many diss LIV but probably haven’t got much of a clue how the team format works. I’ll be honest, I like the idea of teams but I haven’t got a clue either.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Niemmann under performed on LIV last year - maybe the distractions of captaining the team affected him, but he'll be looking to improve on his position. He can hit a ball for a fairly slight fella, walked with his group at Centurion last year and he was getting it down the fairway.
Rest of the team have shown that they can deliver strong results on a pretty regular basis. They're a good shout for the championship.

For me - the contenders in no particular order will be The Four Aces, Crushers, Smash, Torque, and Legion XIII - Rahm is gonna pick up a few wins this year will which will put them right up there.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Surely they can see that?
Did you go to the one in Spain?
Lad at work said it wasn’t bad when he was at the Uk one.

The music is great at the course, gives a bit of a festival feel to it all - it's not overpowering, just there in the background. It doesn't work as well through the stream though and I suspect they'll be working on a way of extracting the background music from the audio.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Surely they can see that?
Did you go to the one in Spain?
Lad at work said it wasn’t bad when he was at the Uk one.

It’s there at the course too but more in the background, unlike on the TV. Personally, I don’t like it because you can’t get away from it. Funnily enough I got to see great golf at a great venue. Players hit drives, long irons, wedges & putts just like they do on the other tours - who’d have thought it!

Going off on a tangent; the comments on here about all the nobodies playing LIV golf. Have a look at the leaderboard from Valderrama last year. I’d be more than happy watching those players every week, and now you can add Rahm & Hatton.

I’d say LIV is here to stay. However, I don’t want LIV to dominate golf like the PGAT has in the past. But to quote an analogy, “I’d rather they were in the tent pi$$ing out, than out the tent pi$$ing in. All the litigation is hurting the tours, which means it’s hurting the spectators. Accept it, but follow whatever version you prefer.

AussieKB

Visit site
I play with a lot of guys here in OZ who have music playing on there phone and boom boxes, been this way since way before LIV, they always ask before turning it on if it is OK, yet to here someone say no.

Even had two English GM's playing and they did not mind it, maybe give it go and see if you like it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It’s there at the course too but more in the background, unlike on the TV. Personally, I don’t like it because you can’t get away from it. Funnily enough I got to see great golf at a great venue. Players hit drives, long irons, wedges & putts just like they do on the other tours - who’d have thought it!

Going off on a tangent; the comments on here about all the nobodies playing LIV golf. Have a look at the leaderboard from Valderrama last year. I’d be more than happy watching those players every week, and now you can add Rahm & Hatton.

I’d say LIV is here to stay. However, I don’t want LIV to dominate golf like the PGAT has in the past. But to quote an analogy, “I’d rather they were in the tent pi$$ing out, than out the tent pi$$ing in. All the litigation is hurting the tours, which means it’s hurting the spectators. Accept it, but follow whatever version you prefer.
Thing is most of the people constantly moaning about LIV don’t actually watch the other tours & rarely post on the other golf threads.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thing is most of the people constantly moaning about LIV don’t actually watch the other tours & rarely post on the other golf threads.

Some just do it for the wind up mate.

People posting on this thread - I’ve witnessed them having multiple Twitter accounts to try and engage with their anti-Liv position, after I’ve blocked them on their original account. Very, very sad behaviour.

D

Deleted member 15344

When it comes the comments about “nobody’s” on LIV I think first not seen for a while apart from making suggestions that others are calling the players nobody’s

But when it comes to the field at each event it’s not too much different from a PGAT event

There are the top level elite players - these are players that have recently won majors and players you would expect to see in the top 10/20 and challenging for majors

Rahm , Smith, BDC and Koepka - they are the cream and a miss in on the PGAT

Then there is a bunch of decent Tour players that prob won’t reach that level but would challenge for Tour events

Neimann , Pereria , Munoz , Gooch , Hatton , Merink , Wolff

Then there is a bunch of players in their twilight of their career who were at some point challenging and at times winning

DJ , Kaymer , Garcia , Mickleson , Watson , Oosthuizen , McDowell , Schwartzel , Reed

Then the rest are fillers - players that rarely challenged on any tour , some struggled to get tour cards , some taken straight from amateur status and a few that have come through qualifying etc - that’s nearly half the field

And that’s what you get on most tour events - top players then mid level , then players in the twilight then fillers - just on bigger numbers

LIV have spent £2bn creating a smaller tour event but without all the added bonuses- points , access to majors , media deals etc

The only events that are loaded are the majors and even the Opens have a good number of fillers from qualifying

The old WGCs were full with the top 70/75 etc

As for the music etc - that’s being done to get people to attend events - it shows how strong the product is when it needs to put on music shows to get fans there and pay players a lot of money to play on them

As for how long it lasts - depends on PIF at the end of the day , the tour is at its mercy , there are talks that the PGAT has done a £3bn deal with US corp sports companies that will prob mean they won’t need PIF for the PGAT -they maybe pointed towards funding DP events - is that enough for PIF to justify that level of money ? It could be a win for them and the DP Tour - they fund that tour and boost all those events which gives the players points etc. But I think LIV in its current format has a short shelf life

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't watch it, but judging from the roster page on their website I'd say 4 aces must be the favourites - did they win it last time? If the new team has Rahm, Hatton and Meronk on it though, they'd probably be the new favourites. I don't know if they're all going on the same team though, since they're not listed plus some of the teams have only got 3 or 2 players. Smash could be a dark horse.

Mandofred

Visit site
I play with a lot of guys here in OZ who have music playing on there phone and boom boxes, been this way since way before LIV, they always ask before turning it on if it is OK, yet to here someone say no.

Even had two English GM's playing and they did not mind it, maybe give it go and see if you like it.
I'd probably object...haven't seen it happening yet. Being an oldish fart (66) I like to hear things like birds, rivers, wind etc etc when I'm outside. If I wanted music I'd probably just put an ear bud in (as if I knew how:)), then I wouldn't have to worry about bothering other people.

I walk down the river most days and I see people "plugged in" while they are walking. I don't personally get it.....nature is pretty nice, why avoid it by blocking it out? Granted....I'm a champion daydreamer....I usually solve the worlds problems while I'm walking.