LIV Golf

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting viewpoint from the outgoing Pelley, who is another voice behind unification of the game as a global operation.

I think it's becoming pretty clear that there are a few names from the PGAT that would like to keep it as it was, a domestic US based tour - but surely that ship is at the very least, getting ready to sail?

This is one area where I think that the argument for LIV and growing the game is weak. Do you really think that if the interest and money had been there for the PGA Tour to take their events global they wouldn't have taken that opportunity and grabbed the cash? The reason that the PGA tour is and has remained US centric is because that's where the interest and the money is.

All the talk of LIV growing the game and taking it to new markets is complete nonsense. LIV has 12 regular season events this year. Five of them are in the US, one in UK, one in Spain and one in Australia - so that's two thirds of their events in established golfing markets. Their other 4 events are in Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong and Singapore - I know that it is of no interest to the owners of LIV but is there really enough interest in golf in those places to make them profitable for events in the longer term?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
lads you’re making the same points over & over again.
Imagine some of your post counts on a thread about a tour youve no interest in,yet can’t stop talking about 🤯
Probably same on Twitter?? 😬

Surely there’s more to life

That could very much be said for people on both sides of the argument. Without naming names, I think we all know who the guilty parties are

WGCRider

Visit site
This is one area where I think that the argument for LIV and growing the game is weak. Do you really think that if the interest and money had been there for the PGA Tour to take their events global they wouldn't have taken that opportunity and grabbed the cash? The reason that the PGA tour is and has remained US centric is because that's where the interest and the money is.

All the talk of LIV growing the game and taking it to new markets is complete nonsense. LIV has 12 regular season events this year. Five of them are in the US, one in UK, one in Spain and one in Australia - so that's two thirds of their events in established golfing markets. Their other 4 events are in Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong and Singapore - I know that it is of no interest to the owners of LIV but is there really enough interest in golf in those places to make them profitable for events in the longer term?
This is so spot on. Economically the only place it makes sense to stage golf tournaments (outside the majors) is the eastern half of the United States. There really are few exceptions - may Pebble beach and Phoenix??

wjemather

Visit site
This is so spot on. Economically the only place it makes sense to stage golf tournaments (outside the majors) is the eastern half of the United States. There really are few exceptions - may Pebble beach and Phoenix??
This was covered in the media during COVID. They can pretty much hold tour events anywhere and barely lose any money if no fans turn up. Income comes from corporate hospitality, not average joe paying on the gate.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was covered in the media during COVID. They can pretty much hold tour events anywhere and barely lose any money if no fans turn up. Income comes from corporate hospitality, not average joe paying on the gate.
Doesn't most of the money come from TV deals? And the biggest current market for that is America. Advertiser's aren't going to pay a lot for a tournament held in the middle of the night for their biggest target audience.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why are people still entrenched in the view that the US market is the only one that matters?

Because it’s the biggest market that brings in the money to sustain the tours

If the other markets were able to sustain big events outside the US then why haven’t they ?

Most of the money is from those US markets , all the other markets even including Europe don’t have the same appeal to gain the level of media interest , media deals with the US dwarf any other deal - why do you think LIV host the majors of their events in the US

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Isn’t it weird how televised sport (inc golf) has a commercial shelf live measured in hours, while the shelf life of a movie or TV sitcom can extend for years

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Why are people still entrenched in the view that the US market is the only one that matters?
Who said it was the only one that matters.

It’s currently the biggest market where most sponsorship and TV revenue comes from.

If there was any real interest in playing all over the world it would already have happened.

The difference now is someone with deep enough pockets that the players could be convinced.

Even LiV play the majority of their events on the US continent.

Phil Mickleson had no interest in playing anywhere but the US prior to joining LiV. What do you suppose changed his mind?

Hoganman1

Visit site
It's hard to tell where all this is headed. I assume LIV will stay as it has been (54 holes, shotgun starts and team scoring) this year. Also, do they have a TV contract? I've never watched an event so I'm in the dark on when and where they play. I watch most PGA Tour events, but I love the majors. As long as those don't change I'm happy. I guess I can learn to liver with whatever they do to blend LIV and the PGA Tour as long as it's 72 holes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's hard to tell where all this is headed. I assume LIV will stay as it has been (54 holes, shotgun starts and team scoring) this year. Also, do they have a TV contract? I've never watched an event so I'm in the dark on when and where they play. I watch most PGA Tour events, but I love the majors. As long as those don't change I'm happy. I guess I can learn to liver with whatever they do to blend LIV and the PGA Tour as long as it's 72 holes.

I'd like to see the big 4 played over 90 holes with a cut at day 2 and day 4
72 holes is just a bit samey with regular tour events

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Quality global golf does seem to be the flavour of sound bites & interviews currently.
The financial side based around the US is well known, and is the low risk option. Who really knows how things might shift over a period of time though.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

They have one of those zero hours contracts with Youtube.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I think global golf is inevitable. Time zones do cause a problem for the US TV networks. I actually enjoy watching events on the DP tour in the morning. One of my favorite things is getting up really early to watch The Open. As with almost everything today, money will rule.