LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Massively off topic but anyway - Ohtani is is going to be paid something like 40% more than the next best paid person in baseball - and it's probably a bargain.
In cricket terms we're used to allrounders but it's not really a position that has existed in baseball for years and he is not just the best allrounder he's arguably one of the top 3 batters and top 3 pitchers.

I was thinking about baseball and the money on offer to players yesterday - obviously the game is huge in the USA, but elsewhere it's just not really followed - so are the claims that the money that golfers are now getting as being unsustainable fair? Golf really does have a global market - granted more popular in some countries than others.
Personally I don't have an issue with the numbers, good luck to anybody that's at the very top of their profession.. I'd rather see a sports player getting wealthy for their skill, rather than an exec of a multinational getting wealthy on the back of exploiting their workforce and customer base.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think even LIV's most ardent fans, especially those claiming to be well informed on it, and despite a good LIVe crowd in attendance in Adelaide, would have to agree that while not pedantically perfectly logically correct, it is a fair summation to say that nobody is watching LIV.
Bots and spinners of truth will of course say anything. But reasoned discussion on the topic must include acknowledgement of this. (deflection of the likes : - its only just getting going - demand is huge for next year - its growing at a great rate - : etc smacks of Boris Johnson type delusion and shameless lies).

Sorry but your assumption that no one is watching LIV is (almost) a million miles off the mark. And the reasoned discussion you speak of “must include the acknowledgment” that LIV’s figures are in the hundreds of thousands per day per event. Perhaps one of the LIVers most ardent deniers would be best served by doing a little reading before succumbing to more egg on the chin.

286,000 on one Saturday, then 291,000 on the Sunday just on the CW platform for one event - part of a multi-year deal - clearly suggests your “fair summation nobody is watching LIV“ is utter tosh.

In fact, when you look at the number of broadcasters across 180 regions/countries, outwith YouTube, that have already signed deals with LIV, some of which are doing very well out of pay-per-view, I’m inclined to think your beliefs are those of anti-LIVer bots and spinners of lies.

I’m no LIV fan, think I’ve watched about half an hour of coverage, but I rarely watch any golf on TV outside of the Majors and the Ryder Cup. However, I am a fan of the truth. And the truth is there’s far more than “nobody is watching LIV.”

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Viewing figures on YouTube are typically just a few thousand on a free global platform.
Guess that's a "no" to the question then, thanks for clearing that up.

Internet browsers are free global platforms also, as are apps - and IMO far preferable experiences than YT.

It's a big ol' world out there - see Hobbit's post..

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry but your assumption that no one is watching LIV is (almost) a million miles off the mark. And the reasoned discussion you speak of “must include the acknowledgment” that LIV’s figures are in the hundreds of thousands per day per event. Perhaps one of the LIVers most ardent deniers would be best served by doing a little reading before succumbing to more egg on the chin.

286,000 on one Saturday, then 291,000 on the Sunday just on the CW platform for one event - part of a multi-year deal - clearly suggests your “fair summation nobody is watching LIV“ is utter tosh.

In fact, when you look at the number of broadcasters across 180 regions/countries, outwith YouTube, that have already signed deals with LIV, some of which are doing very well out of pay-per-view, I’m inclined to think your beliefs are those of anti-LIVer bots and spinners of lies.

I’m no LIV fan, think I’ve watched about half an hour of coverage, but I rarely watch any golf on TV outside of the Majors and the Ryder Cup. However, I am a fan of the truth. And the truth is there’s far more than “nobody is watching LIV.”
Have you some data to substantiate that ?

D

Deleted member 21445

Legit letter just sent to PGAT players.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210_214949_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_214949_X.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20231210_215002_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210_215002_X.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 47

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Have you some data to substantiate that ?

Plenty thanks, and you would have found it quite easily if you’d made the slightest effort before posting utter drivel. It took me less than 30 seconds to find the numbers.

The structure of your posts clearly shows you are intelligent but posting an opinion, and ‘selling’ it as a fact, on viewing figures that’s clearly inaccurate does your credibility in the debate no favours.

The CW broadcast I quoted competed against the PGAT’s Honda Classic, which had 1,500,000 viewers on the same Saturday and 1,900,000(Edit: 2.4mill) viewers on the Sunday. Significantly more than LIV. But, as I said, LIV had over a quarter of a million, just on one of the platforms, and way more than the nobody you suggested.

In post #14,855 you make the following claim, “the field has players who can make no claim to being currently world level golfers,“ I’m fairly certain there’s a current major winner amongst them, if not 3 with Rahm’s inclusion.

Argue the quality of the field overall. Argue the format is inferior. Argue the money is obscene. Argue the morality of getting into bed with the Saudi state. There’s plenty of valid debating points to be made but don’t make up your own facts, it just weakens your credibility.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In post #14,855 you make the following claim, “the field has players who can make no claim to being currently world level golfers,“ I’m fairly certain there’s a current major winner amongst them, if not 3 with Rahm’s inclusion.
You are agreeing with this particular post then.

D

Deleted member 23270

LIV isn't even available globally on YT (without a proxy).
LIV is not free everywhere it is available on YT, e.g. the US, where it's ppv.
Fair enough didn't realise that but even so it is available pretty much right across Europe and the couple of times I've tuned in the viewing figures have fluctuated around the 2-3000 mark.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Plenty thanks, and you would have found it quite easily if you’d made the slightest effort before posting utter drivel. It took me less than 30 seconds to find the numbers.

The structure of your posts clearly shows you are intelligent but posting an opinion, and ‘selling’ it as a fact, on viewing figures that’s clearly inaccurate does your credibility in the debate no favours.

The CW broadcast I quoted competed against the PGAT’s Honda Classic, which had 1,500,000 viewers on the same Saturday and 1,900,000(Edit: 2.4mill) viewers on the Sunday. Significantly more than LIV. But, as I said, LIV had over a quarter of a million, just on one of the platforms, and way more than the nobody you suggested.

Argue the quality of the field overall. Argue the format is inferior. Argue the money is obscene. Argue the morality of getting into bed with the Saudi state. There’s plenty of valid debating points to be made but don’t make up your own facts, it just weakens your credibility.
Well I did google.
Googling how many watching LIV golf throws up either LIV stopped publishing their data when it was going down - damned suspicious, or it being trounced by other sports and the PGAT by between 5-1 and 10-1 despite being for free in some golf following quarters of the globe. Including one on the first page of searches whose title includes "they cant even give it away".

And I point out again. I am not saying nobody as literally zero. But in the context of global billion dollar professional sports market, nobody is watching.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair enough didn't realise that but even so it is available pretty much right across Europe and the couple of times I've tuned in the viewing figures have fluctuated around the 2-3000 mark.
And I think we can all certainly agree - that is nobody. 2000-3000 is probably almost background noise of people clicking by mistake. Its certainly nothing in terms of moving the viewership needle. It doesnt even get it to flicker.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And I think we can all certainly agree - that is nobody. 2000-3000 is probably almost background noise of people clicking by mistake. Its certainly nothing in terms of moving the viewership needle. It doesnt even get it to flicker.

Considering you were certain rahm had turned liv down I think we can all certainly agree to take anything you post with a massive pinch of salt.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Wouldn't it be wise for someone to create an "anti LIV" thread, then all the usual suspects can repeat post on there, ad infinitum, how much they don't like it, how rubbish they find it. Can high five each other on their "witty" remarks, enjoy the echo chamber, make up "facts" unhindered, etc. ?
I posted that on October 13th, so why quote me now?
And we're now at 18,871 and still no sign of all of you, for and against, stopping posting! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For a predominantly individual player sport it’s a bit surprising how tribal this thread continues to be, it’s like rivals taking swipes for/against a football team

The discussion about how LIV affects golf is derailed time and again by the same outlandish claims and petty (equally inaccurate) swipes, we’ve seen since the thread started

Makes for a tough read sometimes

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
you mean an amusing read ?

Not really, it’s the same as when a player in your 4-ball comes out with the ‘dropped your lipstick’ line

Any minimal humour it might’ve had has well and truly disappeared when you’ve heard it for the hundredth time… but somehow the ‘joker’ still thinks its original, cutting edge and hilarious :rolleyes:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Legit letter just sent to PGAT players.

Which is the best option there - a private equity group that were involved in a project that couldn't even put up a tent (literally), or the PIF fund that launched a worldwide golf tour hosting 8 events across the planet within a year of being launched, and already has half of the last 15 major winners on it's books..