LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I find it strange that some people think LIV will sign a deal with Sky etc. Nobody watched it for free so why think they are going to pay to watch it?
I find it strange that anyone could state that not one single person did watch it 🤷‍♂️

Can you share the global viewing/streaming numbers for all golf tours/leagues?

Clearly in some countries people are already paying to watch. I'd agree that in the territories currently with free options, that moving to a paid model may present a challenge. Time will tell.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I find it strange that anyone could state that not one single person did watch it 🤷‍♂️

Clearly in some countries people are already paying to watch. I'd agree that in the territories currently with free options, that moving to a paid model may present a challenge. Time will tell.

Liv Adelaide 2024 - Grounds Pass tickets sold out in 15 minutes, and sales are at 170% of last year (which was rammed btw)

But yeah, because it’s not on Sky… nobody is watching.😉

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's remarkable. First it was "dead In the water"

It then launched with DJ defecting

Then it was "full of has beens"

Then brooks and smith joined

Then it was "these players won't compete again to the standard they were"

Then brooks won a major... Bryson shot a 58

Then "noone else will join"

Rham joins

People say "oh they don't have endless money they need a return" if it actually is sports washing they can spend as much as they want (and they have pretty much limitless funds)

"Nobody watches it" well people clearly do . Not in the same numbers as the pga tour ofc but it's clearly growing.. it's only into it's 3rd season after all

D

Deleted member 23270

Viewing figures on YouTube are typically just a few thousand on a free global platform.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Liv Adelaide 2024 - Grounds Pass tickets sold out in 15 minutes, and sales are at 170% of last year (which was rammed btw)

Crikey, you sound like a real fan boy.
Maybe LIV have an opening for a PR guy?
Glad you like it though.
Me? Nah don't watch it for free, so certainly wouldn't pay to watch it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

I think even LIV's most ardent fans, especially those claiming to be well informed on it, and despite a good LIVe crowd in attendance in Adelaide, would have to agree that while not pedantically perfectly logically correct, it is a fair summation to say that nobody is watching LIV.
Bots and spinners of truth will of course say anything. But reasoned discussion on the topic must include acknowledgement of this. (deflection of the likes : - its only just getting going - demand is huge for next year - its growing at a great rate - : etc smacks of Boris Johnson type delusion and shameless lies).

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
So why are you on the thread?
Nothing wrong with following and contributing to a thread that isnt about the actual golf being played on LIV, but the topic of LIV itself as a major story in the world of elite professional golf. There are two topics. I havent seen any LIV other than Chase's hole in one, and Brysons shambolic 'celebration'. But there is no quota of watched LIV or interest in its golf required to have a view on professional golf's civil war itself.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Do you think the 8 elevated PGA events with no cut are exhibition golf?
I wouldnt. Entry to them is highly contested by golf results not invitation or signing fees, they have high quality fields with no chaff, and the titles are highly prized by those competing for them. They are not turning to punch the clock.

WGCRider

Visit site
Pah, these golfers aren't at the races 😲😯

Massively off topic but anyway - Ohtani is is going to be paid something like 40% more than the next best paid person in baseball - and it's probably a bargain.
In cricket terms we're used to allrounders but it's not really a position that has existed in baseball for years and he is not just the best allrounder he's arguably one of the top 3 batters and top 3 pitchers.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I would say LIV has four characteristics at the moment that would classify it as exhibition golf (this is quite aside from other aspects people are either unattracted to or have issues with such as the teams, or the money source). None are binary defining factors, but in summation in the LIV case, would class it as exhibition :

- players are signed up for a fee for a given period, and will participate regardless of the level of their performance
- there are (at least for some - its all a little opaque) guaranteed earnings or fee contracts. This gives the impression of salaried employees rather than real competition for the financial rewards
- the titles in play have no history, caché, or prestige. They are simply a different town. (sure, all tournaments started somewhere, and the LIV ones may become more some day if the who enterprise continues. But that doesnt negate that the LIV tournament 'wins' value is negligible to nothing today)
- the field has players who can make no claim to being currently world level golfers, and are what we would associate with champions/legends/seniors level. I would be interested in seeing them hit balls - but would they are there simply there to be seen for what they have done in the past, not true competition today.
- players (again, in the main) are not being ejected, or passing any assessment grade. So they are there for the celebrity or profile names that they are, not for the performance they are delivering
- it has clearly filler material, undermining any claim that the competition is 'for real'

Last edited: