LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

Less than 10k watching globally after spending $500m in a week.

Tough scene
Its a qualifying event.

You're right though they need to improve viewing figures, there is no denying that.

Rahm and the players moving across gives them more of a chance but what they really need is a TV deal with a proper network.
Now the PGAT has legitimised Liv Golf maybe those talks start again.

Of course if we come to a definitive agreement then Liv get access to the PGAT networks.

December 31st is going to be a very interesting announcement if they can do it in time.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Less than 10k watching globally after spending $500m in a week.

Tough scene

For those that did watch, it was great entertainment.

I’m not sure why you’re bagging the viewing figures either, it’s a qualification event - the first one LIV has had - but it did work.

Some great interviews throughout the broadcast as well, particularly with Greg Norman who was on site to support the event.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
When Liv launched - YT was the saviour in democratising access to live golf, according those in favour of Liv

When that failed to attract any viewers, they got a TV deal

When that failed to get any viewers, we’re supposed to believe it’s because millions are watching on the app.

And I’m the one pretending?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
When Liv launched - YT was the saviour in democratising access to live golf, according those in favour of Liv

When that failed to attract any viewers, they got a TV deal

When that failed to get any viewers, we’re supposed to believe it’s because millions are watching on the app.

And I’m the one pretending?

Nobody is pretending there was a big audience today - but it was a qualifying event. How many people watch Q school events?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I'd clap this if it wasn't such a load of rubbish. Is this the 1970's again, nothing must change, no one can challenge anything, no competiting competition in any way. Maybe you want to go back to Men only clubs, no shorts, long white socks only, maybe no kids either. Blimey...
The scenario is no different than those clubs wanting to break away from the Premier league & form a European super league.

It's a dilution of an established format, where the best compete against the best for a prize that actually means a great deal in terms of monetary value, prestige & history.

It's been tried in F1 & football & failed (thankfully) any breakaway from a long established format will always be viewed as a secondary lower format formed for a alternative motive (always money & greed)
At best, LIV golf is exhibition golf which isn't something that remotely interests me regardless of who is playing.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The scenario is no different than those clubs wanting to break away from the Premier league & form a European super league.

It's a dilution of an established format, where the best compete against the best for a prize that actually means a great deal in terms of monetary value, prestige & history.

It's been tried in F1 & football & failed (thankfully) any breakaway from a long established format will always be viewed as a secondary lower format formed for a alternative motive (always money & greed)
At best, LIV golf is exhibition golf which isn't something that remotely interests me regardless of who is playing.

Ok.

LIV was never intended to be an alternative to the existing tours. From the outset the plan was to have a worldwide golf series that complimented the best events on those existing tours.
The PGAT and the DPWT took the decision to block that possibility.
LIV were then forced to go alone as direct competition to those tours, whose management have massively underestimated the commitment the Saudis would put into their project.
Within 1 year, the PGAT were over spending and in need of capital to operate.
The PIF stepped in with an offer totalling 2 billion dollars, plus further funding for the existing PGAT players.
Jay Monaghan agreed to negotiate a deal.
The PGAT then went in search of private equity - in an attempt to avoid being funded by the Saudis - but have tried to keep the Saudi offer on the table at the same time - have their cake and eat it, some might say?
As a result, the PIF have doubled down - and signed Rahm, with more top names to be announced.
The PGAT are falling into a weaker position with each move, the ONE asset they have though are media deals.

So, what happens next?

The PGAT HAVE to merge with LIV, the tour does not have the economic value to its investors with the players that will remain once the dust settles over the next few months - to generate enough income to meet their expenditure.
Once the merger is complete, a new format of professional golf will exist where the top events on the PGAT still exist, as do SOME of the current LIV events - the ones that generate the most money. It will all be on Sky, or the Golf Channel etc, and the best players in the world will once again compete regularly against each other.
It is not a dilution of sn established format. It is the replacement of a tired format that restricts global growth due to a US centric schedule.

You will still have events with prestige, and history, and you will have events that are breaking new markets and GROWING THE GAME - that’s how it all works.

So, I get people might not like the source of the funding, I get people might not like Greg Norman, but can we please stop grieving over the demise of golf events that are simply no longer attractive to investors, or good for the pro gam, or it’s fans (existing and potential) as a whole?

The game is evolving, embrace the changes.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Looking like Mcdowell is off the Team Smash, thats pretty underwhelming isnt it?

Is there not an exciting up and coming player on the Asian Tour who would be more worthy of a space?
At the time, yeah maybe, he did play better in patches the 2nd half but obviously not well enough. Now though that team seems pretty strong overall.
Trouble with up and coming players on the Asian Tour is the usual suspects dismiss them as nobodies as they are not on Sky Sports - damned if you do, damned if you don't 🤷‍♂️

BubbaP

Visit site
Why don't we all just terminate the discussion now as it's patently obvious that a) we don't all agree with each other, b) we won't be persuaded otherwise, and c) if we haven't realised that after 13,948 blooming posts, we should hang our heads in shame!
Wouldn't it be wise for someone to create an "anti LIV" thread, then all the usual suspects can repeat post on there, ad infinitum, how much they don't like it, how rubbish they find it. Can high five each other on their "witty" remarks, enjoy the echo chamber, make up "facts" unhindered, etc. ?

wjemather

Visit site
I guess you know all about them?
All about them? No
Have I heard of them before this week, and do I know something about them? Yes, because my interest goes beyond the two-dozen players who appear incessantly in featured groups on PGA Tour or DP World Tour coverage; and beyond just those two tours.

Last edited:

BubbaP

Visit site
As far as I can see right now there are 9 spots available on Liv Teams for 2024
3 will be taken by the qualifiers in the Q School promotion event that is on You Tube right now

Rahms Team has 3 spots
We have all seen this movie before so Tony Finau is one so that leaves 2 more

Rippers
2 Spots

Iron Heads
1 spot (probably a qualifier)

High Flyers
1 Spot
Mickleson's team so I expect a PGAT defection here because he will want to do that.

Cleeks
2 Spots

So currently only 5 spots for possible PGAT defectors as it stands if big Tone is coming.

If another really big name is coming (captain) then they could create another team which would mean 9 spots would be available.
Or maybe the qualifiers are given their own team and each year the qualifying event is to earn a place on that team.

Going to be an interesting few weeks till 31st December
I'm guessing Samooja to go with Kaymer.
Vincent or Kozuma to go with Na. (Probably Vincent).

I thought Ogletree may end up with Mickelson, but as you mention maybe someone is in negotiations.

Think Cam may bring Jones back now an Aussie hasn't qualified, plus may have one in negotiations.
Obviously I don't have a clue! 🥴

Kozuma is a bit interesting as coming from Japan Tour - back in 2022 when the PGAT (allegedly) tightened the screws on Japan Tour, the Japanese early LIV players all stopped. Either that's eased off, or as things are more established now it just isn't seen as much a risk as it was.

D

Deleted member 23270

I find it strange that some people think LIV will sign a deal with Sky etc. Nobody watched it for free so why think they are going to pay to watch it?