LIV Golf

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well I did google.
Googling how many watching LIV golf throws up either LIV stopped publishing their data when it was going down - damned suspicious, or it being trounced by other sports and the PGAT by between 5-1 and 10-1 despite being for free in some golf following quarters of the globe. Including one on the first page of searches whose title includes "they cant even give it away".

And I point out again. I am not saying nobody as literally zero. But in the context of global billion dollar professional sports market, nobody is watching.

Nobody was watching Man City 15 years ago. Look at them now.

LIV are trying to attract the next generation, not blokes in their late 50's atm who are already stalwart PGA tour and DPWT fans.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I posted that on October 13th, so why quote me now?
And we're now at 18,871 and still no sign of all of you, for and against, stopping posting! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
I think it is pretty legitimate for those who like LIV to post in a LIV thread. For those who have an inherent dislike of it to keep going, all these posts later on this same thread, making the same points over and over, is less coherent.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
For a predominantly individual player sport it’s a bit surprising how tribal this thread continues to be, it’s like rivals taking swipes for/against a football team

The discussion about how LIV affects golf is derailed time and again by the same outlandish claims and petty (equally inaccurate) swipes, we’ve seen since the thread started

Makes for a tough read sometimes

Which is precisely why I have avoided the subject like the plague from day one. I pop into the thread occasionally out of necessity, not because I want to.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Oh yes we were

Honestly wonder how they'll ever quantify the numbers but there's a generation going through primary school now who have only ever known Man City as a dominant force and they're choosing the support them.

I work on the outskirts of Birmingham and I don't see any Man United bags anymore!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Nobody was watching Man City 15 years ago. Look at them now.

LIV are trying to attract the next generation, not blokes in their late 50's atm who are already stalwart PGA tour and DPWT fans.
That people might watch in the future is not a counter to nobody is watching today.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That people might watch in the future is not a counter to nobody is watching today.

No - the counter is absolute buckets of cash that have time to wait.

But you already know that.

All the Anti-LIV posts are the same and its so boring. Yes its young, yes the fan base is small at present and yes they need a TV deal.

They just continue to break down doors though, so maybe its time to accept LIV.

JCB is going to be one incredible event next year!

RichA

Visit site
No - the counter is absolute buckets of cash that have time to wait.

But you already know that.

All the Anti-LIV posts are the same and its so boring. Yes its young, yes the fan base is small at present and yes they need a TV deal.

They just continue to break down doors though, so maybe its time to accept LIV.

JCB is going to be one incredible event next year!
Some of the negative stuff seems to directly follow the equally boring LIV propaganda that gets pasted in from social media.
There's only one person who seems to relentlessly troll with their own anti-LIV propaganda without prompting, but they're doing that on every thread about every subject on the forum.

D

Deleted member 21445

Not sure these 2 are household names in their own homes but they're on the clown circuit View attachment 50888

So the criticism is that Liv just spends ridiculous money to attract the best golfers in the world and there is no meritocracy for players to find their way onto the tour.

Then when they give regular pro's the unbelievable life changing opportunity through a qualifying event there is criticism that the qualifiers are unknown players. :rolleyes:
I mean what are you expecting Jordan Spieth to tee it up.
You cant have it both ways.

Many more better slightly more well known players had entered but then when the PGA Tour changed its mind on letting them play without any consequences many withdrew.
A Player like Kevin Chappel who has won on the PGA Tour threw all his chips in on the table by competing in the Liv qualifier and came up just short,he now faces being banned from the PGA Tour.
His qualifying score does get him full status on the Asian Tour as a plan B.

The PGA tour school is on the 14th December and I guarantee you will have never heard of the qualifiers but hopefully getting on the PGA Tour and for these 3 guys on the LIv Tour they will use the platform they now have to become well known players.

WGCRider

Visit site
I was thinking about baseball and the money on offer to players yesterday - obviously the game is huge in the USA, but elsewhere it's just not really followed - so are the claims that the money that golfers are now getting as being unsustainable fair? Golf really does have a global market - granted more popular in some countries than others.
Personally I don't have an issue with the numbers, good luck to anybody that's at the very top of their profession.. I'd rather see a sports player getting wealthy for their skill, rather than an exec of a multinational getting wealthy on the back of exploiting their workforce and customer base.
Thing with baseball is that the sport in itself is profitable as a self contained ecosystem I think. They get their money from fans and broadcast and are not reliant on sponsors. I know that the most profitable sport in the world is NFL and almost none of their money is from sponsorship. All the money in football is from broadcast. Ignoring LIV for a second - golf goes the other way and for a product that can fill 4 days of TV schedule a week I think they get comparatively little of the money from broadcast, almost nothing from fans. It is very heavily reliant on sponsors which does stretch sustainability. Again LIV aside - for a sport with relatively small appeal - in my view top end golfers are by some distance the most overpaid sportsmen.

D

Deleted member 1147

Its a very good course, normally in excellent condition.
Very much an american style track.
The greens are a bit Mickey Mouse with the odd elephant only partially buried in them, leading to some almost impossible pin positions.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The size of field is critical, and a LIV weakness ad long as their top end is weak.
Having 50 unknowns in a PGAT event if you have most if the top 80 golfers in the world as well. The win is validated by the good golfers you beat, not the filler. The weakness in a LIV win, and why the exhibition and low regard for any wins on it, is not realy that there are 20 nobodies in the field per se, its that that leaves very few good golfers to beat. So the win has little value. Beatin Poulter, McDowell, etc counts for nothing either. LIV is really a 10 man competition.
( or 11 now with Jon !).

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Im interested to see the course as much as experiencing a Liv Event

One of the plus points of the shotgun start - we drove from Yorkshire to Centurion, watched all the golf, hung around afterwards to get a bunch of signatures, got blanked by Rick Shiels 😂 (it wasn’t intentional), and drove home, all comfortably done in a day.
I’m taking my apprentice from work this year, and his mate who’s a golf fan, plus the youth. Depending on the weather I’ll probably stick around for the turn after. 👍

D

Deleted member 21445

Remember the early rhetoric that Liv golfers have given up on being competitive and are just taking the money.
That soon disappeared when they performed so well in the majors despite their lower numbers in the field.

Liv Golfers have won 4 of the first 5 DPWT events this season and the last 4 in a row

Last 4 DPWT Events

Joburg Open - Winner Dean Burmister (Stingers)
Austrailian Open - Winner Joaquin Niemman (Torque)
South African Open - Winner Dean Burmister (Stingers)
Alfred Dunhill Championship - Winner Louis Oosthuizen - 2nd Charles Schwartzel (Stingers)

Klimski

Visit site
To me it seems like a pretty simple equation. PIF (LIV) have pumped billions in a bunch of players to play some golf - with no revenue in sight. So, LIV golf is clearly not a business. So what are they paying for? The Sauds want to be palatable in the West without actually implementing human rights (which would cost them no money at all!?).

With this in mind, buying Rahm and others is a power move to break PGA resistance to the PIF deal. They want nothing less than to own world golf. And they will spend no end of money to do so.

So, you can't really blame Rahm for taking the money, as the PGA will now fold and sell out anyway. All the players will be dancing to the Saud's tune, only some will be making 10x as much money.

End of this story: by 2025 the Saudi regime will own professional golf.

D

Deleted member 1147

Remember the early rhetoric that Liv golfers have given up on being competitive and are just taking the money.
That soon disappeared when they performed so well in the majors despite their lower numbers in the field.

Liv Golfers have won 4 of the first 5 DPWT events this season and the last 4 in a row

Last 4 DPWT Events

Joburg Open - Winner Dean Burmister (Stingers)
Austrailian Open - Winner Joaquin Niemman (Torque)
South African Open - Winner Dean Burmister (Stingers)
Alfred Dunhill Championship - Winner Louis Oosthuizen - 2nd Charles Schwartzel (Stingers)
I think a caveat needs adding that there was only 1 top 20 player in those events (cam Smith)