LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Those guys hate LIV or at least they did the last time I listened to it a few months ago. They usually have sly snipes at anything LIV related so I’m not expecting a balanced view from them. I will give it a listen though 👍
I dont think you can throw hate at them, as if that means their view is prejudiced.

They are very well informed, educated, considered, and articulate spectators and commentators of the world of pro golf.
That their analysis is one that arrives at a conclusion (and by the way, that nobody really is watching its golf) that it is rubbish and has done only damage to the quality of elite golf competition as a spectator sport, cannot be dismissed. Maybe they do hate it - but from valid reason. Not hate first, and criticism to justify the hate second.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

Brandel Chamblee's U Turn is almost as big as Jay Monahan's

Its a sad fact of life that money brings power and the PIF have more than anybody else.
Its still crazy to me that the PGAT thought it was a good idea to make an enemy of a tour funded by the largest fund of money in the world.

All Yassir has to say in these talks to get leverage is
"if we dont come to a deal that suits Liv I will spend whatever it takes to take all of your best players and totally devalue your product."

Private Equity investors wont invest in something that has the potential to be devalued so easily.

PGAT has to find a deal of any kind that brings the PIF in as a partner, The PE investors have to find a deal that brings the PIF in as a partner.
As Brandel says in the video "The PIF has the hammer"

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Brandel Chamblee's U Turn is almost as big as Jay Monahan's

Its a sad fact of life that money brings power and the PIF have more than anybody else.
Its still crazy to me that the PGAT thought it was a good idea to make an enemy of a tour funded by the largest fund of money in the world.

All Yassir has to say in these talks to get leverage is
"if we dont come to a deal that suits Liv I will spend whatever it takes to take all of your best players and totally devalue your product."

Private Equity investors wont invest in something that has the potential to be devalued so easily.

PGAT has to find a deal of any kind that brings the PIF in as a partner, The PE investors have to find a deal that brings the PIF in as a partner.
As Brandel says in the video "The PIF has the hammer"

It’s nearly as big as Rahms U turn 😉

It’s interesting watching the LiV media machine at work. It’s very Trump like.

Keep repeating the message over and over even if it’s not the truth. See the super exciting qualifier last week.

When there is bad news. Go on the attack to deflect. This morning the news about Big Tone has made the LiV bots repeat old quotes from Rory, JM, anonymous quotes from books released months ago and Brandel. Even going after BT himself to say he wasn’t worth the money.

Fascinating.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s interesting watching the LiV media machine at work. It’s very Trump like.

Keep repeating the message over and over even if it’s not the truth. See the super exciting qualifier last week.

When there is bad news. Go on the attack to deflect. This morning the news about Big Tone has made the LiV bots repeat old quotes from Rory, JM, anonymous quotes from books released months ago and Brandel. Even going after BT himself to say he wasn’t worth the money.

Fascinating.

Did you watch the qualifier BiM?

BiMGuy

Visit site
So how can you be critical of those who said it was exciting?
I wasn’t critical of people who found it exciting. Just observing the narrative was pushed hard, in a coordinated way.

However, personally speaking, watching players no one has heard of play for a place on LiV does not sound particularly exciting.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I wasn’t critical of people who found it exciting. Just observing the narrative was pushed hard, in a coordinated way.

However, personally speaking, watching players no one has heard of play for a place on LiV does not sound particularly exciting.

A narrative that is being pushed hard?

It’s peoples opinion. I watched it, it was tense, enthralling, and emotional at the end. The guy that won - won an event on the DPWT last year - so plenty of people who watch golf regularly will have heard of him, along with plenty of the other guys in attendance.

D

Deleted member 21445

You're right they were 99% players you have never heard of but isnt that a great thing BMI and the final few holes and playoff was very captivatiing.

Liv's largest criticism is just paying for top players to join their tour, a closed shop of top golfers.

The Q event was great to watch in my opinion because it was giving guys who have grinded the hard way for years on minor tours the opportunity to change their and their families lives.

Kalle Samooja's reaction below to what he had accomplished is far more meaningful than Jon Rahm, Bryson, Dustin etc talking about their hundreds of millions on Fox News

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Take out the anomaly of 2020, and Kalle averages 25 tournaments per year for the 4 full years he’s had on the DPWT.

Imagine how much time he’s spent away from home in that time - his reaction above says it all.
He’ll make enough in just one year on LIV, to never have to sacrifice that family time again - a life changing for days for him.
Fantastic.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Take out the anomaly of 2020, and Kalle averages 25 tournaments per year for the 4 full years he’s had on the DPWT.

Imagine how much time he’s spent away from home in that time - his reaction above says it all.
He’ll make enough in just one year on LIV, to never have to sacrifice that family time again - a life changing for days for him.
Fantastic.
It’s great for him no doubt.

But it highlights the weaknesses of LiV. He’s hardly made a dent in the DPWT in 4 years, now I presume he’s guaranteed a start at every event for a year?

I suspect he’ll then be playing events on other tours to fill the gaps so will still spend 30 weeks away from home. But will have more money in his pocket doing so.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s great for him no doubt.

But it highlights the weaknesses of LiV. He’s hardly made a dent in the DPWT in 4 years, now I presume he’s guaranteed a start at every event for a year?

I suspect he’ll then be playing events on other tours to fill the gaps so will still spend 30 weeks away from home. But will have more money in his pocket doing so.

Highlights the weakness of LIV??

It’s a qualifying event. One that was torpedoed by the PGAT forcing several members of their tour to pull out - perhaps if they hadn’t pulled that stunt you might have got a qualifier who you’d heard of..
For me, it doesn’t matter. What matters is a pathway exists for guys to make it to a tour where they’ll play alongside, and quite possibly learn from some of the best golfers on the planet.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Highlights the weakness of LIV??

It’s a qualifying event. One that was torpedoed by the PGAT forcing several members of their tour to pull out - perhaps if they hadn’t pulled that stunt you might have got a qualifier who you’d heard of..
For me, it doesn’t matter. What matters is a pathway exists for guys to make it to a tour where they’ll play alongside, and quite possibly learn from some of the best golfers on the planet.
Is it an open qualifier like Q School?

BiMGuy

Visit site
Need to do your homework there mate.
How so? As far as I am aware if you are good enough you can enter Qschool. Though there are many stages to get through. Happy to be proved wrong.

Was the LiV qualifying event an open event? Could anyone enter or was it an invitation only event?

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it an open qualifier like Q School?

This is from the LIV website...

ELIGIBLE ENTRANTS​

All prospective entrants must complete an online entry form by 20 November 2023 and 5PM Eastern Time. The required entry fee of $25 is non-refundable except to entrants that satisfy one of the exemption categories but do not qualify for LIV Golf Promotions 2023. All other entry fees will be donated to a charity chosen by LIV Golf League.
Only the following golfers will qualify for entry. Entrants in Category A qualify for LIV Golf Promotions and will play in Round 1; of these, only the Top 20 and ties from Round 1 will advance to Round 2. Entrants in Category B receive a bye into Round 2.
Category A: Qualifiers for Round 1
  1. Members of the 2023 Walker Cup or Palmer Cup Teams
  2. Winner and runner-up of the following last played amateur events:
    1. US Amateur Championship
    2. The (British) Amateur Championship
    3. Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship (October 29 2023)
    4. Latin America Amateur Championship
    5. European Amateur Championship
    6. NCAA Championship (Individual)
    7. Eisenhower Trophy (Individual)
  3. Leading 15 available players from within the top 40 WAGR rankings as of November 20 2023 (excluding players exempt into round 2).
  4. Leading 25 available players from within the top 40 on the final 2023 International Series Rankings, (excluding those exempt into round two).
  5. Leading 3 available players from inside the top 5 from each of the following professional Tours as of November 20 2023
    1. Japan Golf Tour (Money ranking inc. Majors)
    2. KPGA Korean Tour (Genesis Point Ranking)
    3. Sunshine Tour
    4. PGA Tour of Australasia
  6. Tournament Winners in 2023 from
    1. Asian Tour
    2. Korn Ferry Tour
  7. Leading 30 available players from within the top 300 of The Universal Golf Rankings (TUGR) as of November 20 2023 (excluding those who are exempt into Round 2).
  8. Event invitations as determined by LIV Golf League
Category B: Byes into Round 2
The following players are exempt from Round 1 and are automatically eligible to participate in Round 2:
  1. The top 2 players in the WAGR rankings as of November 20 2023
  2. Players ranked 2 to 8 on the final 2023 International Series Order of Merit.
  3. Leading 5 available players from within the top 30 of the Final 2023 DP World Tour and Korn Ferry Tour Order of Merits / Rankings.
  4. Winners of PGA Tour and DP World Tour sanctioned tournaments in the 2022 and 2023 calendar years.
  5. Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup participants from 2019 – 2023.
  6. Winners of Major Championships from 2019 – 2023.
  7. The leading 15 available players from within the top 150 of The Universal Golf Rankings (TUGR) as of November 20 2023.
  8. Players relegated or without a contract for the following season from the Final 2023 LIV Golf Individual Standings
  9. Event invitations as determined by LIV Golf Leagu