LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

How so? As far as I am aware if you are good enough you can enter Qschool. Though there are many stages to get through.

Was the LiV qualifying event an open event? Could anyone enter or was it an invitation only event?
For the Liv Promotions Q School event the PGAT announced their would be no bans for members playing in the qualifier.
They had to do this because of the DOJ anti trust case hanging over them.

Then when Liv announced the event was going to be televised they changed the rule to you had to give 45 days notice.
Problem was almost all had entered within that 45 day window which now meant they would be banned if they hit the 1st tee shot.
This led to a raft of withdraws, only a few like former PGAT winner Kevin Chappell rolled the dice, he came up short and now faces a ban from the PGAT.

Who knows how many others were contemplating having a go and then were given no choice.

It led to hardly any PGAT/Korn Ferry players having a go.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
For the Liv Promotions Q School event the PGAT announced their would be no bans for members playing in the qualifier.
They had to do this because of the DOJ anti trust case hanging over them.

Then when Liv announced the event was going to be televised they changed the rule to you had to give 45 days notice.
Problem was almost all had entered within that 45 day window which now meant they would be banned if they hit the 1st tee shot.
This led to a raft of withdraws, only a few like former PGAT winner Kevin Chappell rolled the dice, he came up short and now faces a ban from the PGAT.

Who knows how many others were contemplating having a go and then were given no choice.

It led to hardly any PGAT/Korn Ferry players having a go.
Interesting, but completely irrelevant to the question.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting, but completely irrelevant to the question.

It clearly wasn't an invitation only event - whether you think it was open to everybody depends on where you draw the line of who should be allowed to compete to play on a pro golf tour - but there was young amateur from Ireland who almost made the final day....

Swango1980

Visit site
So what's your point. Rahm - just like lots of other players have admitted the money is a significant factor - it won't be 100% of the reason like you claim, but will play a massive part.
The money will play a massive part, 100% of the reason.

Just because there may be a few other things that he happens to like about LIV, they are in no way a reason why he moved to LIV. He may prefer to play in shorts. He might like a few other bits and pieces. He might like some of the courses they play. Of course that will be the case, I'm not saying that he despises every single aspect of LIV. However, all those reasons are irrelevant when it comes to why he signed for LIV. He signed 100% because of the money.

D

Deleted member 21445

The money will play a massive part, 100% of the reason.

Just because there may be a few other things that he happens to like about LIV, they are in no way a reason why he moved to LIV. He may prefer to play in shorts. He might like a few other bits and pieces. He might like some of the courses they play. Of course that will be the case, I'm not saying that he despises every single aspect of LIV. However, all those reasons are irrelevant when it comes to why he signed for LIV. He signed 100% because of the money.
Im sure some love going to play in their home countries to play events , the players without doubt love the team concept etc

However

They all largely sign for the money and for the money they play for...
Dont think anyone thinks that isnt the case.. because it is

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I was listening to the Rick Shiels podcast about Rahm joining LIV last night and thought the debate about supporting a team was actually very interesting - and a great point made by Guy Charnock.

At present, the idea of supporting a golf team seems rather ludicrous. You can bet that the big name players (DJ, Brooks, Bryson, Rahm, Smith) will have fans supporting their teams by default because they just like a player on the team. What happens when a player moves teams (like Gooch) do you stick with the original team or move with your favorite player? How do they create links to teams to get people buying in to them? One example is geographically of course, UK Team, Aussie team etc.

Then Guy brought up F1. How do people choose a team in that? Because people do fully support teams and wear the merch but others like myself, the casual fan, just have a few drivers they like (UK guys for me). Is this model what LIV are going for?

Safe to say I don't think it ever becomes anything as tribal as football fans, but the team aspect is something they aren't letting go of and must believe down the line will be a success.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Couple of interesting guests on the Flushing It podcast.
Kevin Pietersen compares LIV to the IPL when it launched, and Bob Harig gives some insight on how the game might come back together.

An interesting point made by Tom, the host - did the PGAT want LIV to be no more as part of the framework agreement - it was initially announced of course that JM would have the power to wind LIV up (to reiterate- that was a proposal from the PGAT - not something that was agreed). He suggests that Yasir has stood firm over the future of LIV and team golf, and that has caused a stand off between the two sides…

Worth a listen regardless of which side you are on.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I was listening to the Rick Shiels podcast about Rahm joining LIV last night and thought the debate about supporting a team was actually very interesting - and a great point made by Guy Charnock.

At present, the idea of supporting a golf team seems rather ludicrous. You can bet that the big name players (DJ, Brooks, Bryson, Rahm, Smith) will have fans supporting their teams by default because they just like a player on the team. What happens when a player moves teams (like Gooch) do you stick with the original team or move with your favorite player? How do they create links to teams to get people buying in to them? One example is geographically of course, UK Team, Aussie team etc.

Then Guy brought up F1. How do people choose a team in that? Because people do fully support teams and wear the merch but others like myself, the casual fan, just have a few drivers they like (UK guys for me). Is this model what LIV are going for?

Safe to say I don't think it ever becomes anything as tribal as football fans, but the team aspect is something they aren't letting go of and must believe down the line will be a success.

The F1 team comparison is spot on.

I know a lad who bought an AMG merc, not because he wanted a merc, he just wanted a fast car. He bought it because Lewis Hamilton drives one.

That’s the potential of LIV, imagine having a club manufacturer dominating a golf series, where they are the team…

Immense, untapped marketing opportunities.

D

Deleted member 1147

The team is decidedly secondary to the individual driver.
Even the drivers don’t seem to care too much about the team, or they wouldn’t break team orders, and battle teammates off the track etc

D

Deleted member 21445

Worthy to note some goods news for the PGAT finding a replacement sponsor for The Honda Classic.

A historic event now with a little more security 👏👏👏

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the team golf concept is the one significant differentiator for Liv (aside from oodles of cash) but don’t feel they’ve got it right yet.

Possibly the reason for that is they’re hedging between team and “conventional” individual comps. Maybe they should lean harder into the teams and remove the individual aspect completely?

I have always thought that manufacturer teams would be a great thing for golf. Imagine the PR that they could get from topping a team event with everyone using their gear.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have always thought that manufacturer teams would be a great thing for golf. Imagine the PR that they could get from topping a team event with everyone using their gear.
But then you have the danger of the team coming last and the negative PR that might produce