LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
One misnomer is that 4 good rounds are required to win at Augusta.
Only once, Cam Smith in 2020, has anyone actually had 4 rounds in The 60’s (and he didn’t even win).
So 4 good to steady rounds are required.

Rory didn’t big himself up, others did.

He has as much chance as anyone, but, just like thousands of others, it’s entirely possible he won’t win a green jacket.

Rory was the one dropping F bombs in Mickelsons direction on the Netflix doc.
He who laughs last and all that...

IJames

Visit site

Jason.H

Visit site
Rory for some reason prefers a really high ball flight . When the wind blows he comes unstuck. Rahm kept it below the tree tops with a lower flight. Made it look easy.

evemccc

Visit site
Rory for some reason prefers a really high ball flight . When the wind blows he comes unstuck. Rahm kept it below the tree tops with a lower flight. Made it look easy.

Spot on

High ball flight works on standard PGA Tour greens and usually there isn’t much wind at many venues

We all know Augusta can be calm..but it can also blow

D

Deleted member 21445

I really think that Liv Adelaide (next up, next week) is going to be Liv's best event yet by miles.
At the moment Boston last year has been their best event IMO (DJ playoff win)

- The Aussie crowds have been starved of pro golfers like Brooks, DJ, Lefty, Smith, Reed etc etc for decades.
- Great golf course
- The tour will be on a high after their players performances at Augusta.
- Cam Smith is playing in front of his home crowds.
- Tickets sold out in days.
- They have a par 3 completely surrounded by grandstands for a crazy atmosphere.

Shame they STILL dont have a UK TV Deal to make it super easy to watch...

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I really think that Liv Adelaide (next up, next week) is going to be Liv's best event yet by miles.
At the moment Boston last year has been their best event IMO (DJ playoff win)

- The Aussie crowds have been starved of pro golfers like Brooks, DJ, Lefty, Smith, Reed etc etc for decades.
- Great golf course
- The tour will be on a high after their players performances at Augusta.
- Cam Smith is playing in front of his home crowds.
- Tickets sold out in days.
- They have a par 3 completely surrounded by grandstands for a crazy atmosphere.

Shame they STILL dont have a UK TV Deal to make it super easy to watch...

I can tell you right now, the angle of criticism over Adelaide will be viewing figures - the time difference will kill the US viewing numbers, even here in the UK, you'll need to be up early to catch the tail end of the golf - The usual media suspects have probably already got a draft article written up ready to publish as soon as the event is go...
But I agree, it will be the best tournament yet for the reasons you've listed, and of course, a chance for those viewing in Australasia and Asia to take in some of the worlds best golfers, without having to stay up all night to do so.
You've not mentioned him but I'm sure Gregg Norman is looking forward to putting on a great show for his home nation. Looking forward to seeing how well received it is.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can tell you right now, the angle of criticism over Adelaide will be viewing figures - the time difference will kill the US viewing numbers, even here in the UK, you'll need to be up early to catch the tale end of the golf - The usual media suspects have probably already got a draft article written up ready to publish as soon as the event is go...
But I agree, it will be the best tournament yet for the reasons you've listed, and of course, a chance for those viewing in Australasia and Asia to take in some of the worlds best golfers, without having to stay up all night to do so.
You've not mentioned him but I'm sure Gregg Norman is looking forward to putting on a great show for his home nation. Looking forward to seeing how well received it is.
Or how badly received. You are jumping to conclusions at little early. The fundamental weaknesses of the LIV proposal are unchanged for it being in Aus.
Australia has a very strong sporting culture and the weak field (Padriag Harrington spoke last year of the pressure even the top guys feel on the PGAT week in week out due to the high quality of 149 others in the field, and how no cut and reduced field makes such a difference) and exhibition element of a handful of the top golfers will be no more interesting to them than to the rest of the world.

D

Deleted member 15344

I can tell you right now, the angle of criticism over Adelaide will be viewing figures - the time difference will kill the US viewing numbers, even here in the UK, you'll need to be up early to catch the tale end of the golf - The usual media suspects have probably already got a draft article written up ready to publish as soon as the event is go...

Didn’t they have the Australian Open and Australian PGA Championship last year there ? Around nov and Dec time

Think Cam smith played in one of them ?

In fact I think the Aus Open had both ladies and men playing - the likes of Adam Scott playing

Over the years the likes of Woods , Spieth , Rory etc have played in the events

The events have been well supported by the public.

D

Deleted member 21445

Or how badly received. You are jumping to conclusions at little early. The fundamental weaknesses of the LIV proposal are unchanged for it being in Aus.
Australia has a very strong sporting culture and the weak field (Padriag Harrington spoke last year of the pressure even the top guys feel on the PGAT week in week out due to the high quality of 149 others in the field, and how no cut and reduced field makes such a difference) and exhibition element of a handful of the top golfers will be no more interesting to them than to the rest of the world.

There is no where near the same anti Liv feeling in Australia, this event will be very well supported and there is a lot of expectation for the event..
They have had to add extra tickets for the demand.

In fact the appetite is such they are thinking of 2 next year and 3 Australian events in the future.

IJames

Visit site
I can tell you right now, the angle of criticism over Adelaide will be viewing figures - the time difference will kill the US viewing numbers, even here in the UK, you'll need to be up early to catch the tail end of the golf - The usual media suspects have probably already got a draft article written up ready to publish as soon as the event is go...
The speed at which the initial allocation of tickets sold was impressive, though possibly engineered! And that's in the smallest of the main cities (Canberra and Hobart don't count). Aussies are sports mad and, apart from their Open and PGA, are, indeed, pretty much starved of top level golf! I'm certain it will be well received! Don't anticipate negative reviews - Journos often draft 2 versions of reports, or at least paragraphs. Likewise the low viewership is to be expected and any comparison of dropoff should be relative to the Asian event. That said CW viewership has been extremely, however the PR guys state 'above expectations'!

The time difference shouldn't be a problem either. Yanks are used to allowing for time differences as they have 6 of their own - though 4 main ones! Some of them even know how to use Video Recorders!

You might lto check how Horman spells his first nme though! It's a golf league he runs, not a bakery!:rolleyes:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The time difference shouldn't be a problem either. Yanks are used to allowing for time differences as they have 6 of their own - though 4 main ones! Some of them even know how to use Video Recorders!

You might lto check how Horman spells his first nme though! It's a golf league he runs, not a bakery!:rolleyes:
Great golfer that Horman bloke! ;)

AddisonRoad

Visit site

You're right, Australia will be an excellent event for LIV, and they're probably best to add another event or two next year in Melbourne to take advantage of large crowds.

That said, it's looking like Australia will be the only highlight on LIV's calendar going forward. While that's great for Cam Smith, Greg Norman, and the other Australians, it doesn't bode well for LIV's overall impact on world golf - Australia has fewer residents than Texas alone.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You're right, Australia will be an excellent event for LIV, and they're probably best to add another event or two next year in Melbourne to take advantage of large crowds.

That said, it's looking like Australia will be the only highlight on LIV's calendar going forward. While that's great for Cam Smith, Greg Norman, and the other Australians, it doesn't bode well for LIV's overall impact on world golf - Australia has fewer residents than Texas alone.

That's pretty much like saying any golf competition held in the USA has no impact anywhere else, we simply know that's not true.
The LIV Australia event will generate plenty of interest in that corner of the globe, which includes most of the people that are living on the planet as it happens - including the growing markets in Asia - which of course LIV have already got a foothold in.

D

Deleted member 21445

With everything going on its easy to forget Greg was Open Champion twice which is what many would die for

Had a masters and a USPGA snatched from him and it wasn't due to choking but incredible, some would say lucky shots from Larry Mize and Bob Tway.

Yes he choked a few times but one thing is for sure is that he had an incredible pro golf career.

2 Majors
20 PGA Tour Wins
14 European Tour Wins
90 Total worldwide wins
Longest stint as World no 1 - an incredible 331 weeks
Is in the world golf hall of fame

Anybody want to argue that's not a great career?
Greg deserves to be respected as a golfer what ever you think of the person..