LIV Golf

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If it doesn't affect anybody, other than those that went to LIV, why have they done it?

Maybe they just did it so they could get some bad press - seemingly you think there's no other reason....

Its pretty simple really, PGAT have banned non memebers who are contracted to LiV from playing to avoid the potential scenario of non players applications to play in single events being accepted, but full members applications not being accepted. In reality, it is not likley effect anyone, but it could.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It is pretty simple really players are banned from LiV if they are not invited, it matters not whether you are good enough it compete against their select players you simply cannot play. So I'll give you a name and he is currently the best player in the world.

Yes I know the LiV model is different from the PGAT/DPWT/Asian Tour. But how in any way should that stop me from critising the hypocracy of your stance, while allowing you an open field on critisising the PGAT or DPWT.

Nobody is banned from LIV.

You can’t just make up an arbitrary argument to try and prove a point.

Anybody can attempt to qualify regardless of their standing, and if they’re extremely good at golf, they may get an invite - much like most of the top golf events across the world.

I will admit that qualifying is extremely limited in comparison- but the path exists. But unlike the PGAT, they have not banned one single player from competing in their events.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Anybody can attempt to qualify regardless of their standing, and if they’re extremely good at golf, they may get an invite - much like most of the top golf events across the world.

I will admit that qualifying is extremely limited in comparison- but the path exists. But unlike the PGAT, they have not banned one single player from competing in their events.

if Jason Day asked to play in a LIV would they let him?

Swango1980

Visit site

It is, in that nobody has an equal chance to qualify, even if their golfing record was exactly the same. It depends on being given an invite. You could have a golfer with a better golfing record than another golfer, wanting a spot on LIV. But, the other golfer gets that position because Greg Norman likes him. Because LIV think they are more marketable.

I doubt Phil Mickleson is on LIV because of his current golfing ability. He is there because of what he has achieved in the last few decades. If Tiger Woods wanted to play in LIV, who would be invited in a heart beat. Even with a broken back. If LIV left open 2 or 3 slots for high profile names, that probably wouldn't be so much of an issue, as the vast majority have qualified by right. But, it it completely backward, where all, or nearly all the slots are by invitation. In terms of any qualification slots, I've no idea how it works, but from what I've heard in here is simply a token gesture. Basically LIV saying "look, we have a qualification process, give us some ranking points please"

evemccc

Visit site
It is, in that nobody has an equal chance to qualify, even if their golfing record was exactly the same. It depends on being given an invite. You could have a golfer with a better golfing record than another golfer, wanting a spot on LIV. But, the other golfer gets that position because Greg Norman likes him. Because LIV think they are more marketable.

I doubt Phil Mickleson is on LIV because of his current golfing ability. He is there because of what he has achieved in the last few decades. If Tiger Woods wanted to play in LIV, who would be invited in a heart beat. Even with a broken back. If LIV left open 2 or 3 slots for high profile names, that probably wouldn't be so much of an issue, as the vast majority have qualified by right. But, it it completely backward, where all, or nearly all the slots are by invitation. In terms of any qualification slots, I've no idea how it works, but from what I've heard in here is simply a token gesture. Basically LIV saying "look, we have a qualification process, give us some ranking points please"

Yes. That’s obviously correct. But don’t you see it is not dissimilar to the PGA Tour…
1) No-one has an ‘equal chance’ to qualify for PGA Tour events — if sponsors deem you ‘marketable’ enough or a big name / useful for them, you’ll get a sponsors invitation..irrespective of recent golfing performance or ranking

2) You need serious financial backers behind you in most cases, to make it as a pro golfer —- take two equally talented 20 yr old rookie pros…one a blue-blood Trust Fund kid from Connecticut and another from Kazakhstan —— it is not a utopian level playing field so although LIV patently is not, neither is the PGA Tour

How the PGA Tour fudged their own criteria and gave millions from PIP to the East Asian golfers from huge markets - Japan and Korea - to entice them / essentially bribe them to not go to LIV is exactly this — “because the PGA Tour think they’re more marketable”

Honestly the naivety and credulousness from PGA Tour ‘supporters’ is astounding

Edit: I strongly recommend listening to former US Amateur Champ Andy Ogletree’s interview with the Alan Shipnuck podcast for context

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
There is a qualification process for LIV going forwards, so it’s not invite only, and, no player is banned.
Ok, what is their qualifying criteria, I know there has been talk of one, but not seen in one announced officially. They seem to be saying that the 48 for the season are to be announced soon, but no announcment in how you qualify to be one of the 48.

Last edited:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes. That’s obviously correct. But don’t you see it is not dissimilar to the PGA Tour…
1) No-one has an ‘equal chance’ to qualify for PGA Tour events — if sponsors deem you ‘marketable’ enough or a big name / useful for them, you’ll get a sponsors invitation..irrespective of recent golfing performance or ranking

2) You need serious financial backers behind you in most cases, to make it as a pro golfer —- take two equally talented 20 yr old rookie pros…one a blue-blood Trust Fund kid from Connecticut and another from Kazakhstan —— it is not a utopian level playing field so although LIV patently is not, neither is the PGA Tour

How the PGA Tour fudged their own criteria and gave millions from PIP to the East Asian golfers from huge markets - Japan and Korea - to entice them / essentially bribe them to not go to LIV is exactly this — “because the PGA Tour think they’re more marketable”

Edit: I strongly recommend listening to former US Amateur Champ Andy Ogletree’s interview with the Alan Shipnuck podcast for context

they have monday qualifiers

Swango1980

Visit site

This isn't about being a "PGA Supporter". I have no strong love of the PGA. Rather, I enjoy watching professional golf, and the PGA is the tour that does it best for me. It has had many years to adapt and improve. But, it is by no means perfect, nothing ever will. If something came along better than the PGA Tour, then no doubt I would be a fan of that.

This is about LIV. It is a LIV thread. It is just that it is compared to the PGAT as that is obviously the gold standard tour out there at the moment.

In reference to Point 1, you seem to be focusing on the few positions out of many that are "sponsor invites"? Why do you ignore the vast majority of the field on the PGAT that qualify to be there? You could be the most boring, bland person on the face of the planet. But if you are good enough at golf, you'll qualify to play on the PGAT. I don't think Sponsors will inform the PGAT that that player should not play?

In terms of point 2, you are simply talking about an individuals route to become a professional golfer. Those everyday barriers are there for everyone, even the guys now on LIV. Those barriers will exist for all sports to one degree or another, and in many vocations. However, if that 20 year old rookie from Kazakhstan is brilliant at golf, then there will be a route for him to take to get on the PGAT. He will probably need assistance early in his career to play in the events he needs to. But, there is a route to PGAT. If he is good enough, he can't be ignored. However, where is his route to LIV? The 20 year old kid from Connecticut could well have a better chance of getting an invite, even if he is worse at golf, if the LIV guys think he is more marketable. Or, vice versa. Maybe the LIV guys think the golfer from Kazakhstan is a great person to invite, because he has generated a cult following in his country and Asia, yet the 20 year old from Connecticut doesn't get a look in, simply because he is just another bog standard American golfer (even though he may be a lot better than the Kasakhstani).

evemccc

Visit site
This isn't about being a "PGA Supporter". I have no strong love of the PGA. Rather, I enjoy watching professional golf, and the PGA is the tour that does it best for me. It has had many years to adapt and improve. But, it is by no means perfect, nothing ever will. If something came along better than the PGA Tour, then no doubt I would be a fan of that.

This is about LIV. It is a LIV thread. It is just that it is compared to the PGAT as that is obviously the gold standard tour out there at the moment.

In reference to Point 1, you seem to be focusing on the few positions out of many that are "sponsor invites"? Why do you ignore the vast majority of the field on the PGAT that qualify to be there? You could be the most boring, bland person on the face of the planet. But if you are good enough at golf, you'll qualify to play on the PGAT. I don't think Sponsors will inform the PGAT that that player should not play?

In terms of point 2, you are simply talking about an individuals route to become a professional golfer. Those everyday barriers are there for everyone, even the guys now on LIV. Those barriers will exist for all sports to one degree or another, and in many vocations. However, if that 20 year old rookie from Kazakhstan is brilliant at golf, then there will be a route for him to take to get on the PGAT. He will probably need assistance early in his career to play in the events he needs to. But, there is a route to PGAT. If he is good enough, he can't be ignored. However, where is his route to LIV? The 20 year old kid from Connecticut could well have a better chance of getting an invite, even if he is worse at golf, if the LIV guys think he is more marketable. Or, vice versa. Maybe the LIV guys think the golfer from Kazakhstan is a great person to invite, because he has generated a cult following in his country and Asia, yet the 20 year old from Connecticut doesn't get a look in, simply because he is just another bog standard American golfer (even though he may be a lot better than the Kasakhstani).

Yes.
I am fully aware / it is my opinion that LIV would have got the biggest 54 names in golf / best players (obvs these are different - but also not always necessarily mutually exclusive) if it could have done…