LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

The fundamental problem LIV has, is that at the moment at least, it is just a rubbish sport product.

That's an opinion of course ?

A sport product is deemed great or rubbish based on the opinion of the person and whether they like or dislike what it offers.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's an opinion of course ?

Yes, but a rational and justified opinion.
From two aspects :
1) the vast majority of the sports and/or golf watching public agrees. They have voted with their remotes to not watch LIV. Even when it offered them for free.
2) The small field, and low quality of it, reduces its credibility, and seriousness, as a sporting contest. They have not reached a critical mass of top golfers to claim world class golf. In such a small field, the past it golfers, and rent-a-crowd (which the PGAT has as well - but it still has a critical number of top flight ones, for them not to be significant), are just too prominent. And the team thing is just pathetic. It is the killer as far as sporting credibility goes and harms any chance the overall venture has.

I am not at all against LIV - I would like it to either succeed in a big way and provide great entertainment with the worlds best golfers in serious competition, or fail and not waste some top golfer's careers. Its harming spectator golf at the moment because it is in the twilight zone of having removed some worthwhile top golfers from the scene, and not in sufficient numbers to make LIV worthwhile in its own right.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, but a rational and justified opinion.
From two aspects :
1) the vast majority of the sports and/or golf watching public agrees. They have voted with their remotes to not watch LIV. Even when it offered them for free.
2) The small field, and low quality of it, reduces its credibility, and seriousness, as a sporting contest. They have not reached a critical mass of top golfers to claim world class golf. In such a small field, the past it golfers, and rent-a-crowd (which the PGAT has as well - but it still has a critical number of top flight ones, for them not to be significant), are just too prominent. And the team thing is just pathetic. It is the killer as far as sporting credibility goes and harms any chance the overall venture has.

I am not at all against LIV - I would like it to either succeed in a big way and provide great entertainment with the worlds best golfers in serious competition, or fail and not waste some top golfer's careers. It’s harming spectator golf at the moment because it is in the twilight zone of having removed some worthwhile top golfers from the scene, and not in sufficient numbers to make LIV worthwhile in its own right.
The low quality of the field, wow ???

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d guarantee Cameron Smith, Patrick Reed, Brooks, Bryson could easily compete with the best in the world, Golf for me is one of that sport’s where if you’re on it you can beat anyone, that’s what makes it great, look at the progress Richard Bland has made, he’s an older man but seems to be getting better.
You can’t knock LIV for fields in my opinion because the very best rarely play in the same tournaments apart from the Majors.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

The sharp end of the field on The Asian Tour this weekend, is waaaaaay stronger than that of the PGAT. I know people will argue this with arbitrary OWGR ratings and field strength points, but you only have to take a quick glance at the entries to see where the better players are.

Swango1980

Visit site
I’d guarantee Cameron Smith, Patrick Reed, Brooks, Bryson could easily compete with the best in the world, Golf for me is one of that sport’s where if you’re on it you can beat anyone, that’s what makes it great, look at the progress Richard Bland has made, he’s an older man but seems to be getting better.
You can’t knock LIV for fields in my opinion because the very best rarely play in the same tournaments apart from the Majors.
If McIlroy, Spieth, Thomas and Cantlay were competing in a regular PGAT event, but none of the other top 20/30 players, LIV fans would accuse those PGAT events of having weak fields.

Yet, if Smith, Brooks, Bryson and Reed are competing in a LIV event, they are boasting about the strength of the field?

It's no wonder this thread goes round in circles :)

D

Deleted member 15344

So last year the events struggled to attract the viewers and the crowds despite both being given away free - so what is going to change this season to improve that

There doesn’t appear to be anymore “stellar” signings- they did last year and it didn’t make much difference

All the talk about manufactures etc sponsering teams didn’t materialise

So what is going to be different this year

Swango1980

Visit site
So last year the events struggled to attract the viewers and the crowds despite both being given away free - so what is going to change this season to improve that

There doesn’t appear to be anymore “stellar” signings- they did last year and it didn’t make much difference

All the talk about manufactures etc sponsering teams didn’t materialise

So what is going to be different this year
People will tune in to see Reed cheating. I guess it provides a bit of entertainment. :)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know, but it does have a handful of top rank golfers non the less, so its not utterly abysmal. But it is very low. Any PGAT tour event is a tougher win. Certainly, the best there can compete with the best.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread from Flushing it.

After a long period of silence from LIV, I spoke with a member of senior management today who gave me some great info about the coming year that’ll I’ll outline in a thread. Despite the reports of chaos, it sounds as though the changes at the top have been a positive for them.
The 48 player roster should be announced next week with a few new signings. They expect more big names but the deals are still being finalised. These players have been selected by captains in conjunction with LIV and the captains will all be the same as last season.
There have been “lots” of players who have contacted LIV via agents etc and asked for big money to join but were turned away. We can speculate on who this is but I have been told from multiple sources of 1 vocal anti LIV guy who actually tried to get a move. (I won’t name them.)
They have some mainstream sponsors secured that’ll be announced in the coming weeks and expect it to be a “domino effect” now that the schedule and TV deals have been announced and player roster will be confirmed soon. International TV partners will be announced in coming weeks.
There will be team shirts this year beginning with polos with logos on in Mexico and moving on to more unique kits when apparel sponsors are confirmed. Replicas will be available to buy. Some of the players can’t wear the team gear yet due to existing clothing deals though.
There are 2 complete team rebrands of names and logos etc but every team will see big to moderate changes to their logos this year. I understand that the Fireballs will be keeping their name now. The team points system to qualify for the team finals is the same as last season.
The off season silence has been intentional as they generated so much noise last year that they didn’t want us to get LIV fatigue. The management changes affected things too but there’s been a lot going on behind the scenes and they’re ready to let the product do the talking now
Finally, they confirmed that they do not have any “paid for” or “bot” social media accounts so anyone pretending to be associated with LIV or an “insider” probably aren’t. I’m sure you know what I mean!

The guy who runs that account is a member at my club, will have to catch up with him and see how the chat went

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I know, but it does have a handful of top rank golfers non the less, so its not utterly abysmal. But it is very low. Any PGAT tour event is a tougher win. Certainly, the best there can compete with the best.
Barracuda
Barbasol
Mexico
Corales
Puerto Rico
QBE
Hero World
Bermuda

Pretty subjective but can imagine many would disagree with you...

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw that earlier - I mean - if they had total confidence in their own product, the PGAT wouldn't need to do that.

Jay out.

Would LIV not have a similar rule in place stopping players playing on other tours when there are LIV events on? I can't imagine they'd be too happy if someone they were paying several million pounds to said "Sorry, I'm not going to play in the Orlando event this season because I'm playing a PGA Tour event that week".

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Would LIV not have a similar rule in place stopping players playing on other tours when there are LIV events on? I can't imagine they'd be too happy if someone they were paying several million pounds to said "Sorry, I'm not going to play in the Orlando event this season because I'm playing a PGA Tour event that week".

But it's not remotely a similar rule is it. The PGAT are banning players for one year for playing on a LIV event, when they aren't even PGAT players - amateurs, college players etc. LIV players can play where they want when they want, outside of the LIV events.

D

Deleted member 15344

But it's not remotely a similar rule is it. The PGAT are banning players for one year for playing on a LIV event, when they aren't even PGAT players - amateurs, college players etc. LIV players can play where they want when they want, outside of the LIV events.

That’s very key though isn’t it - they can’t ,

GN states that they are independent contractors etc and can play where they want but that’s not strictly true is it

LiV dictate who plays in their events and the contractors must play in every single LIV event , players are unable to qualify

Anyone can attempt to qualify to play in any of the other tours and only then are required to play a minimum to keep a tour card

One tours seems a more close shop than all the others