LIV Golf

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Has there been many top names saying it’s broken other than Rahm?

As for LiV. Very few people actually care if they get points or not. Personally I’d rather thy didn’t just to annoy LiV supporters. Those of any interest already have exemptions to the majors. Those that haven’t won’t be missed and can go through qualifying for the opens if they think they are good enough.

They knew LiV didn’t meet the OWGR criteria before going, so should suck it up and stop crying about it.

Harington, Rahm, Tiger, Bryson, J. Thomas - have all criticised the current OWGR format in some way - to name a few.

Exemptions don't last forever in some cases though, only The Masters is forever as far as I'm aware?

Its pretty evident people do care if they get points or not - its been debated here for so many pages now, and with a lot of passion in some cases. Id say most hoping that they don't - which is absolutely fine.

As I said in my post, OWGR incorporating LIV is nigh on impossible in my mind, I cannot think of a way to equitably give them points if their format doesn't change. You'd think the lack of a cut would probably give them even less points as they could always have a third day charge up the leaderboard which is not possible if cut after two days on another tour.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Rory is the bad guy in an incident with Reed? ?????????????

See this kind of prejudice is why Mr Reed is having to take legal action. ;-)

I like Rory the golfer way more than I like Patrick Reed, but he’s portraying himself as a bit of a bellend - sadly.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory is a self appointed (seemingly) spokesperson for the PGAT, and an ambassador for the game, and in life, and business, you can’t and shouldn’t always ignore people. If any of his co-professionals attempt to acknowledge him, he should reciprocate. Reed has done nothing for his public perception over the years, there is no denying that, but I’d expect more from Rory - or maybe I wouldn’t given his wavering opinions over the last year….

Maybe Reed was trying to find out what was dead in the water, and Rory simply couldn’t answer the question ;-)

For the record if Rory blanked him, then that bad on him, despite Reeds history its always best to try and be the better man.

McIlroy though was appointed by his peers to be a players represented on the board as I have pointed out before, he is by no means self oppointed. Interesting that you don't accuse Rahm of the same when he talks about OWGR, yet his comments on that subject could simply be sour grapes.

Swango1980

Visit site
See this kind of prejudice is why Mr Reed is having to take legal action. ;-)

I like Rory the golfer way more than I like Patrick Reed, but he’s portraying himself as a bit of a bellend - sadly.
You're clearly saying that because of your love for LIV. I know plenty of people that applaud McIlroy for speaking what is on his mind, and he echos the thoughts of many others. Clearly.

I'd imagine this Reed incident is simply a story about nothing. Something that either didn't happen, or the context of it was nowhere near as controversial as people make out. However, even if the most controversial part was true, where McIlroy didn't speak to someone, and they got frustrated and threw something at him, who cares? If McIlroy doesn't want to speak to someone, or he is in the zone and doesn't realise they are speaking to him, then that person could just either leave or, they could try and speak to him again. I doubt Reed was saying "hey Rory.....Rory, alright Rory......Can you hear me Rory.....Rory!!!!!" whilst McIroy just blanked him. Sounds a bit Benny Hill, Reed chasing McIlroy all over the practice green, and McIlroy desperately walking away so as to ignore him. At what point is it reasonable for Reed to start throwing things at people?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory is a self appointed (seemingly) spokesperson for the PGAT, and an ambassador for the game, and in life, and business, you can’t and shouldn’t always ignore people. If any of his co-professionals attempt to acknowledge him, he should reciprocate.

Why the hell not? He has no obligation to speak to anyone or everyone...its his choices as it anyone's.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
For the record if Rory blanked him, then that bad on him, despite Reeds history its always best to try and be the better man.

McIlroy though was appointed by his peers to be a players represented on the board as I have pointed out before, he is by no means self oppointed. Interesting that you don't accuse Rahm of the same when he talks about OWGR, yet his comments on that subject could simply be sour grapes.

Apologies, he is of course an elected member of the Players Advisory Council and a paid member of the PGAT policy board, so as a paid employee of the PGAT, representing that tour on a DPWT event - of which Reed is entitled to play, I'd expect better of him.

I stand corrcted.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You're clearly saying that because of your love for LIV. I know plenty of people that applaud McIlroy for speaking what is on his mind, and he echos the thoughts of many others. Clearly.

I'd imagine this Reed incident is simply a story about nothing. Something that either didn't happen, or the context of it was nowhere near as controversial as people make out. However, even if the most controversial part was true, where McIlroy didn't speak to someone, and they got frustrated and threw something at him, who cares? If McIlroy doesn't want to speak to someone, or he is in the zone and doesn't realise they are speaking to him, then that person could just either leave or, they could try and speak to him again. I doubt Reed was saying "hey Rory.....Rory, alright Rory......Can you hear me Rory.....Rory!!!!!" whilst McIroy just blanked him. Sounds a bit Benny Hill, Reed chasing McIlroy all over the practice green, and McIlroy desperately walking away so as to ignore him. At what point is it reasonable for Reed to start throwing things at people?

No I'm not, I'm saying it as somebody who has enjoyed watching Rory become one of the best golfers in the world, that is needlessly tarnishing his reputation by being inconsistent and disruptive with his views, which he regularly airs due to the platform he's given in the media.

I agree it's a story about nothing, blown out of proportion by the media - like everything else. Rory should be well aware by now of how it works.....

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Apologies, he is of course an elected member of the Players Advisory Council and a paid member of the PGAT policy board, so as a paid employee of the PGAT, representing that tour on a DPWT event - of which Reed is entitled to play, I'd expect better of him.

I stand corrcted.
You really do put political spin doctors to shame.

Swango1980

Visit site
No I'm not, I'm saying it as somebody who has enjoyed watching Rory become one of the best golfers in the world, that is needlessly tarnishing his reputation by being inconsistent and disruptive with his views, which he regularly airs due to the platform he's given in the media.

I agree it's a story about nothing, blown out of proportion by the media - like everything else. Rory should be well aware by now of how it works.....
I'm sure he knows how it works. So, if nothing actually happened, there was nothing for Rory to do. If Reed did throw a tee at him, maybe he should know how the media works. Though, I'm sure he does. The LIV people would be quite pleased with such childish antics by Reed anyway, keeps people talking about LIV. If it happened, Reed will be getting a bonus.

McIlroy is hardly inconsistent. He doesn't like LIV, that seems pretty consistent. Every interview he has, he is probably asked repetitively about LIV. He has given his answers. I'm also sure he'd like a resolution somehow. But, he doesn't make decisions on behalf of the PGAT, nor LIV.

D

Deleted member 15344

Since when has Rory’s reputation been tarnished because of his views ?

He has been pretty consistent in his dislike of LIV and his like of the PGAT

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Since when has Rory’s reputation been tarnished because of his views ?

He has been pretty consistent in his dislike of LIV and his like of the PGAT

You've not seen the comments about him across social media then Phil?

Rahm has been mentioned earlier, he's able to express his opinions of LIV without the petulance that Rory shows, but then he isn't directly on the PGAT payroll, so it's understandable I guess.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

All coming from the LiVs bots and their supporters though!

Just like on here we knew who would defend Reed and call out Rory for the incident today. When the one who has previous for poor behaviour is the one who has allegedly (don’t want to end up in court on a slander charge) petulantly thrown something at another player.

What’s Rory done wrong in ignoring someone who by all accounts is an utter ??, especially given what Reed is doing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Rahm has been mentioned earlier, he's able to express his opinions of LIV without the petulance that Rory shows, but then he isn't directly on the PGAT payroll, so it's understandable I guess.

Ah social media - I’m guessing you mean LIV fans and bots then

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh, has there been some click bait 'journalism' today? ? ?
Just something about Reed throwing a tee at Rory for apparently ignoring him and it seems it’s Rory’s fault ?‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site

You can find hateful comments about anyone on social media. Even the nicest of celebrities.

The LIV fan boys will be furious with McIlroy, simply because he isn't a fan and doesn't mind giving his opinion. So, they spit their dummies out and start slagging him off. It is to be expected.

But, in terms of reputation, in the minds of many golf fans, McIlroy has enhanced it since LIV came around. He wouldn't become an unofficial spokesperson for PGAT if he tarnished his reputation after all.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Appreciate there are some posters on here with a genuine interest in LIV, and the TV deal caused some confusion last week over whether it would be pulled from You Tube globally.

Bit more in this article about the deal but Will Steiger confirms what I suggested when the CW deal was announced, that LIV are now actively seeking broadcast partners elsewhere,

There are other levers to help boost ratings and, by extension, revenues for all parties involved. One avenue is through additional rights deals. LIV’s agreement with the CW encompasses its U.S.-based programming, but the league still has the freedom to shop the remainder of its broadcast rights to international partners. Staeger hinted that more news on those agreements could be coming very soon.
“We’re in negotiations in every territory in the world right now,” he said. “We were just wanting to announce this one first.”

The whole article is linked if anybody wants a read.

LIV exec details CW negotiation, hints at future deals (golf.com)

D

Deleted member 15344

Appreciate there are some posters on here with a genuine interest in LIV, and the TV deal caused some confusion last week over whether it would be pulled from You Tube globally.

Bit more in this article about the deal but Will Steiger confirms what I suggested when the CW deal was announced, that LIV are now actively seeking broadcast partners elsewhere,

There are other levers to help boost ratings and, by extension, revenues for all parties involved. One avenue is through additional rights deals. LIV’s agreement with the CW encompasses its U.S.-based programming, but the league still has the freedom to shop the remainder of its broadcast rights to international partners. Staeger hinted that more news on those agreements could be coming very soon.
“We’re in negotiations in every territory in the world right now,” he said. “We were just wanting to announce this one first.”

So the first event is in 4 weeks and they don’t have any media deals outside the US

Is there any odds on it being Dave within the UK ?

Swango1980

Visit site

A LIV exec hints at future broadcast deals?

Really. A golf tour that has invested billions, wants to be one of the worlds leading tours with the best players, and they can only "hint" at future broadcasting deals!?

Seriously, does that not sound absolutely horrific? With so many ambitions and they have yet to entice any big broadcasters, or any real broadcasters at all except for CW?

LIV fans and execs might sing their praises any chance they get. But, behind closed doors I bet LIV execs are extremely frustrated and probably, at least, a little concerned.