LIV Golf

You're clearly saying that because of your love for LIV. I know plenty of people that applaud McIlroy for speaking what is on his mind, and he echos the thoughts of many others. Clearly.

I'd imagine this Reed incident is simply a story about nothing. Something that either didn't happen, or the context of it was nowhere near as controversial as people make out. However, even if the most controversial part was true, where McIlroy didn't speak to someone, and they got frustrated and threw something at him, who cares? If McIlroy doesn't want to speak to someone, or he is in the zone and doesn't realise they are speaking to him, then that person could just either leave or, they could try and speak to him again. I doubt Reed was saying "hey Rory.....Rory, alright Rory......Can you hear me Rory.....Rory!!!!!" whilst McIroy just blanked him. Sounds a bit Benny Hill, Reed chasing McIlroy all over the practice green, and McIlroy desperately walking away so as to ignore him. At what point is it reasonable for Reed to start throwing things at people?

No I'm not, I'm saying it as somebody who has enjoyed watching Rory become one of the best golfers in the world, that is needlessly tarnishing his reputation by being inconsistent and disruptive with his views, which he regularly airs due to the platform he's given in the media.

I agree it's a story about nothing, blown out of proportion by the media - like everything else. Rory should be well aware by now of how it works.....

Apologies, he is of course an elected member of the Players Advisory Council and a paid member of the PGAT policy board, so as a paid employee of the PGAT, representing that tour on a DPWT event - of which Reed is entitled to play, I'd expect better of him.

I stand corrcted.
You really do put political spin doctors to shame.

Swango1980

No I'm not, I'm saying it as somebody who has enjoyed watching Rory become one of the best golfers in the world, that is needlessly tarnishing his reputation by being inconsistent and disruptive with his views, which he regularly airs due to the platform he's given in the media.

I agree it's a story about nothing, blown out of proportion by the media - like everything else. Rory should be well aware by now of how it works.....
I'm sure he knows how it works. So, if nothing actually happened, there was nothing for Rory to do. If Reed did throw a tee at him, maybe he should know how the media works. Though, I'm sure he does. The LIV people would be quite pleased with such childish antics by Reed anyway, keeps people talking about LIV. If it happened, Reed will be getting a bonus.

McIlroy is hardly inconsistent. He doesn't like LIV, that seems pretty consistent. Every interview he has, he is probably asked repetitively about LIV. He has given his answers. I'm also sure he'd like a resolution somehow. But, he doesn't make decisions on behalf of the PGAT, nor LIV.

Kaz

I think there's no "correct" way to rank pro golfers across a variety of tours. The OWGR just tries to come up with a reasoned, consistent approach. It isn't "broken" by any means but has an unfortunate issue at the moment where current events are awarded points using the new methodology while players retain points gained for older events under the old methodology. That's throwing up some apparent anomalies but that will diminish as time goes on.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner

Since when has Rory’s reputation been tarnished because of his views ?

He has been pretty consistent in his dislike of LIV and his like of the PGAT

Since when has Rory’s reputation been tarnished because of his views ?

He has been pretty consistent in his dislike of LIV and his like of the PGAT
You've not seen the comments about him across social media then Phil?

Rahm has been mentioned earlier, he's able to express his opinions of LIV without the petulance that Rory shows, but then he isn't directly on the PGAT payroll, so it's understandable I guess.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
All coming from the LiVs bots and their supporters though!

Just like on here we knew who would defend Reed and call out Rory for the incident today. When the one who has previous for poor behaviour is the one who has allegedly (don’t want to end up in court on a slander charge) petulantly thrown something at another player.

What’s Rory done wrong in ignoring someone who by all accounts is an utter ??, especially given what Reed is doing.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner

Rahm has been mentioned earlier, he's able to express his opinions of LIV without the petulance that Rory shows, but then he isn't directly on the PGAT payroll, so it's understandable I guess.
Ah social media - I’m guessing you mean LIV fans and bots then

Swango1980

You can find hateful comments about anyone on social media. Even the nicest of celebrities.

The LIV fan boys will be furious with McIlroy, simply because he isn't a fan and doesn't mind giving his opinion. So, they spit their dummies out and start slagging him off. It is to be expected.

But, in terms of reputation, in the minds of many golf fans, McIlroy has enhanced it since LIV came around. He wouldn't become an unofficial spokesperson for PGAT if he tarnished his reputation after all.

Appreciate there are some posters on here with a genuine interest in LIV, and the TV deal caused some confusion last week over whether it would be pulled from You Tube globally.

Bit more in this article about the deal but Will Steiger confirms what I suggested when the CW deal was announced, that LIV are now actively seeking broadcast partners elsewhere,

There are other levers to help boost ratings and, by extension, revenues for all parties involved. One avenue is through additional rights deals. LIV’s agreement with the CW encompasses its U.S.-based programming, but the league still has the freedom to shop the remainder of its broadcast rights to international partners. Staeger hinted that more news on those agreements could be coming very soon.
“We’re in negotiations in every territory in the world right now,” he said. “We were just wanting to announce this one first.”

The whole article is linked if anybody wants a read.

LIV exec details CW negotiation, hints at future deals (golf.com)

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Appreciate there are some posters on here with a genuine interest in LIV, and the TV deal caused some confusion last week over whether it would be pulled from You Tube globally.

Bit more in this article about the deal but Will Steiger confirms what I suggested when the CW deal was announced, that LIV are now actively seeking broadcast partners elsewhere,

There are other levers to help boost ratings and, by extension, revenues for all parties involved. One avenue is through additional rights deals. LIV’s agreement with the CW encompasses its U.S.-based programming, but the league still has the freedom to shop the remainder of its broadcast rights to international partners. Staeger hinted that more news on those agreements could be coming very soon.
“We’re in negotiations in every territory in the world right now,” he said. “We were just wanting to announce this one first.”

So the first event is in 4 weeks and they don’t have any media deals outside the US

Is there any odds on it being Dave within the UK ?

Swango1980

A LIV exec hints at future broadcast deals?

Really. A golf tour that has invested billions, wants to be one of the worlds leading tours with the best players, and they can only "hint" at future broadcasting deals!?

Seriously, does that not sound absolutely horrific? With so many ambitions and they have yet to entice any big broadcasters, or any real broadcasters at all except for CW?

LIV fans and execs might sing their praises any chance they get. But, behind closed doors I bet LIV execs are extremely frustrated and probably, at least, a little concerned.

You should try leaving your bubble, you might learn something.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Oh, has there been some click bait 'journalism' today? ? ?
When I saw the headline I naturally assumed he’d gone full Fatima Whitbread and threw it javelin style with a bit of a run-up
Then read a few lines and thought maybe it was more like Phil taylor would when he’s checking out
A bit more info and I’m thinking maybe it was thown like we’d discard a broken tee on the tee box
Then I read it was reported in Spanish and the tee was ‘flicked in rors direction’ & not thrown at him

I’m not sure which I’d prefer to be the truth :unsure::LOL:

evemccc

You can find hateful comments about anyone on social media. Even the nicest of celebrities.

The LIV fan boys will be furious with McIlroy, simply because he isn't a fan and doesn't mind giving his opinion. So, they spit their dummies out and start slagging him off. It is to be expected.
The bolded part @Swango1980 - ??

You really seem unable to have a difference of opinion without throwing in personal pejoratives and barbs alongside every comment you make….

@Mel Smooth is right with this IMO, Rahm has handled himself well and been the ‘adult in the PGA room’….

Rory has demanded a CEO be removed and been wildly and hopelessly wrong with his “dead in the water comments” - which smacks of creating a narrative and attempting to convince his peers not to leave, but not representative of truthful reality

Rory by almost all accounts is a stand-up guy in real life — and I prefer him to Rahm as a golfer and in general — but @Mel Smooth has this one correct on Rory / Rahm re: LIV

TheBigDraw

Medal Winner
Alan Shipnuck on latest podcast.

"been talking to Liv to try and find out who their new signings are. All I got was that the dates for announcements have been continually pushed back for months. I've no idea if they are going to rock the world with 3or4 huge signings or they are scrambling around desparately because they only have Mito Perreira right now. Top golf agent told me that players are being told to hold out so they up their offer as the tour start deadline gets nearer. Full 48 man field has to be secured before their 1st event because the teams have to be set in stone for the whole season in 2023."

Alan Shipnuck on latest podcast.

"been talking to Liv to try and find out who their new signings are. All I got was that the dates for announcements have been continually pushed back for months. I've no idea if they are going to rock the world with 3or4 huge signings or they are scrambling around desparately because they only have Mito Perreira right now. Top golf agent told me that players are being told to hold out so they up their offer as the tour start deadline gets nearer. Full 48 man field has to be secured before their 1st event because the teams have to be set in stone for the whole season in 2023."
I thought I read in here that there was going to be qualifying spots for each event. If not I am pretty sure that will rule out any hope of them getting OWGR points.