LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Okay......so that means Pat Perez is better than JT, Fitz, Burns and Schauffele ..............
See the problem?

Yeah, it's innacurate - as is the OWGR.

If we did rank players by money lists by the way, the PGA tour would be dead in months, so it won't ever happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well you could debate the point (granted you're starting to here) rather than just throwing accusations of trolling around.

The fact is, ranking players by what they've earned right now, is just as legitimate as ranking players by the OWGR.

Is it really ?

So say LIV offer £10mil per event to the winner and someone like Poulter wins 3 of them does he then become number 1 because the prize money is higher ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah, it's innacurate - as is the OWGR.

If we did rank players by money lists by the way, the PGA tour would be dead in months, so it won't ever happen.
Well, at least you have managed to see the big flaw in your logic then

P.S. I very much doubt the PGA would be dead. But, if would kill off the credibility of the OWGR a million times faster than you think is happening currently.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is it really ?

So say LIV offer £10mil per event to the winner and someone like Poulter wins 3 of them does he then become number 1 because the prize money is higher ?

Wouldn't happen would it? If we were ranking players for entry to majors by money lists, LIV would be THE place to earn that money, and Poulter wouldn't get a sniff of a win with the worlds best players wanting to be part of the action.

It's a business model the PGA Tour have used to position themselves as the worlds number one golf tour for years, and the reason Poulter has made a nice living out of golf.

Visit site
Like Davis Love said, rank them by their earnings, bad golfers don't earn good money, and good golfers don't play for frig all.

Essentially, it's the big money earners that everybody wants to see in The Majors, and one way or another, that is what we will see.

I can’t quite put my finger on why you would agree with this statement.

LIV pays people just for turning up. You think that half the field (who are just phoning it in on a big fat retirement pension) should be accelerated up the world ranking points because of that?

As has been covered a million times, just because it has unlimited oil money thrown at it, it doesn’t make it special.

D

Deleted member 15344

It would be amazing for everyone to read there comments in a years time.....

Yes and that could be equally valid for those who are very much in favour of LIV

Wouldn't happen would it? If we were ranking players for entry to majors by money lists, LIV would be THE place to earn that money, and Poulter wouldn't get a sniff of a win with the worlds best players wanting to be part of the action.

It's a business model the PGA Tour have used to position themselves as the worlds number one golf tour for years, and the reason Poulter has made a nice living out of golf.

surely it depends on how many players LIV allow or what - right now it’s very restrictive because of shotgun starts and many of the top players are on paid contracts so when does that stop because the business model for the PGAT is massively different because the level of prize money given out is only dependent on the money coming in from sponsers and Telly money etc - LiV business model is held up by PIF

The Masters just announced all eligible LIV players will be invited to participate. Good news. (y)

They were never going to stop players playing in them just like all the majors last year , it’s not really news , their qualfiying criteria is staying the same for next year but it seems they are looking to change it for 2024 - there is the potential that they could change it to ensure LIV players can’t qualify ?‍♂️

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
They were never going to stop players playing in them just like all the majors last year , it’s not really news , their qualfiying criteria is staying the same for next year but it seems they are looking to change it for 2024 - there is the potential that they could change it to ensure LIV players can’t qualify ?‍♂️

They've said that purely to pacifiy the PGA fanboys who will inevitably start getting upset at the prospect of LIV players competing in The Masters. ;-)

D

Deleted member 15344

They've said that purely to pacifiy the PGA fanboys who will inevitably start getting upset at the prospect of LIV players competing in The Masters. ;-)

I don’t think I have seen anyone “upset” at LIV players competing in any of the majors ?‍♂️

It’s strange that not getting banned seems to have turned into some victory for LIV , apparently that’s now going to see floods of top golfers joining when basically nothing has changed , there was no talk about LIV being banned etc

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don’t think I have seen anyone “upset” at LIV players competing in any of the majors ?‍♂️

It’s strange that not getting banned seems to have turned into some victory for LIV , apparently that’s now going to see floods of top golfers joining when basically nothing has changed , there was no talk about LIV being banned etc

It's a victory for proffesional golf, the sensible decision has been made, just like it has been for The Open.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's a victory for proffesional golf, the sensible decision has been made, just like it has been for The Open.

It’s not a victory for anyone - it’s carrying on as normal for the majors , nothing changing , nothing special put in place , no changes in qualifying to satisfy any new tours - qualifying process the same as it was before LIV was started

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s not a victory for anyone - it’s carrying on as normal for the majors , nothing changing , nothing special put in place , no changes in qualifying to satisfy any new tours - qualifying process the same as it was before LIV was started

So LIV is now part of the 'golf ecosystem' then? Surely if it's not changing anything with regard to The Majors, there's no logical reason to stop their players being awarded ranking points which could help them qualify for The Majors?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
By the way, Phil says nobody is getting upset about players comepeting in The Masters, but I'm pretty sure there were plenty complaining when LIV players were taking their rightful places in the BMW at Wentworth - even the players joined in, right?

D

Deleted member 15344

So LIV is now part of the 'golf ecosystem' then? Surely if it's not changing anything with regard to The Majors, there's no logical reason to stop their players being awarded ranking points which could help them qualify for The Majors?

Can you name me one player who has qualified through their performances on the LIV tour to show that LIV is part of the “golf ecosystem” ?‍♂️

I’m confused how you have managed to equate the majors not changing to their current qualification to meaning LIV events getting ranking points ? Had something changed with required Ranking points criteria ?

By the way, Phil says nobody is getting upset about players comepeting in The Masters, but I'm pretty sure there were plenty complaining when LIV players were taking their rightful places in the BMW at Wentworth - even the players joined in, right?

Blimey you really do try left field examples trying to make some comparisons

Are you really suggesting it’s anywhere near the same ?

Many people believed that the LiV players no longer had “rightful” places on any other tour event when they left said tour to chase the money

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No, they have to revise it for 24 to let in the couple of LIV golfers who are needed for the Masters to remain credible, but will be losing their entry rights as recent major winners. Brooks, Bryson, for example. The Masters cant exclude them. Maybe with some low bar criteria, such as major winners within the previous 10 years who have a top 5 in a LIV exhibition or something. That would get the likes of Brooks in, but keep out the LIV filler material and golden oldies.

Last edited: