LIV Golf

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So LIV is now part of the 'golf ecosystem' then? Surely if it's not changing anything with regard to The Majors, there's no logical reason to stop their players being awarded ranking points which could help them qualify for The Majors?

That is one hell of a stretch even for you. Those players already qualified for the Majors will play, and I have yet to see anyone sensible within golf or on this forum suggest otherwise. That doesn't make LiV itself part of the "golf ecosystem", but rightly recognises the past acheivments of previous winners etc wherever they currently ply their trade , or not in the case of Sandy Lyle and others.

As I have said many a time when LiV tournaments comply to OWGR requiremnts their players will be awarded points. There is also room for some compromise I suspect, but it will need a good deal of movement from LiV for that to happen and I have seen nor heard anything recently to make me consider changing my view.

Jason.H

Visit site
Golf is a global sport. A win on European tour or Asian tour should bring the same points as PGA tour. That would grow the game. Golfers wouldn’t feel the need to move to USA to benefit.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Golf is a global sport. A win on European tour or Asian tour should bring the same points as PGA tour. That would grow the game. Golfers wouldn’t feel the need to move to USA to benefit.
That has to go down as one of the silliest suggestions I have seen on here. Do you really think that the 4 majors would continue to deserve that status with only approximately a third of the world's truly top players involved? Do you think Lee Westwood, etc would have stayed this side of the pond earning a relative pittance purely to ensure better OWGR points? How would having an OWGR system that rewarded mediocrity grow the game?

D

Deleted member 21445

That has to go down as one of the silliest suggestions I have seen on here. Do you really think that the 4 majors would continue to deserve that status with only approximately a third of the world's truly top players involved? Do you think Lee Westwood, etc would have stayed this side of the pond earning a relative pittance purely to ensure better OWGR points? How would having an OWGR system that rewarded mediocrity grow the game?

Yes I agree the points can't be the same for all events but right now it's too far the other way.

No Laying Up Podcast highlighted under the OWGR points system we have now Tom Kim would not have made it to the PGA Tour and would still be relatively unknown worldwide still playing Japan and Asian tours.

It's not possible now for the next Tom Kim to break through in that way and that's not good..

Think all parties have said the system is flawed right now and will be changed so it ranks ALL pro golfers effectively, if it doesn't then as Rory famously once said about Liv "It's dead in the water"

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes I agree the points can't be the same for all events but right now it's too far the other way.

No Laying Up Podcast highlighted under the OWGR points system we have now Tom Kim would not have made it to the PGA Tour and would still be relatively unknown worldwide still playing Japan and Asian tours.

It's not possible now for the next Tom Kim to break through in that way and that's not good..

Think all parties have said the system is flawed right now and will be changed so it ranks ALL pro golfers effectively, if it doesn't then as Rory famously once said about Liv "It's dead in the water"

It wasn’t the ranking points that helped Tom Kim

He first of all played well enough in an Asian Tour event that was an Open Qualifier and that allowed him entry in the Open in 2020

Then he finished well on the Asian Tour and was able to gain entry into the Scottish Open where is finished 3rd which then gained him entry into the Open , finishing top 50 - the two finishes gave him temp membership on the PGAT for a couple of events and after finishing in the top 10 in one gave him full tour membership and then he of course went onto win

Playing well in tournaments gave Tom Kim the chance not ranking points and those same chances and opportunities are still there , the same pathway is still there

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

All parties, really?? I've yet to hear anyone representing the PGAT/The Open/The Masters/US Open or the PGA, say such a thing. Given that these make up a majority of the OGGR board and that the new system has only been in operation a few months I don't see it changing significantly next year.

It will only be dead in the water if the significant organisations represented on the OGWR board say it is dead in the water, again I can't see that happening soon.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There will be no LIV, DPWT or PGAT or any other Tour players at The Masters.....
Just Professional Golfers who have been invited
But I can guarantee that, should one of the players aligned with LIV win it we....
A. Won't hear the last about it
B. There'll be a big song and dance about it
C. It will be used as evidence that the whole of LIV is the best Tour and has the best players.

I can also guarantee that none of the above will app,y should a member of any other Tour win it.

evemccc

Visit site
There will be no LIV, DPWT or PGAT or any other Tour players at The Masters.....
Just Professional Golfers who have been invited
But I can guarantee that, should one of the players aligned with LIV win it we....
A. Won't hear the last about it
B. There'll be a big song and dance about it
C. It will be used as evidence that the whole of LIV is the best Tour and has the best players.

I can also guarantee that none of the above will app,y should a member of any other Tour win it.

Okay, I’ll bite

Let’s revisit this in 4 months time

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Okay, I’ll bite

Let’s revisit this in 4 months time

Not sure there's a need to do that, there have been three majors since the introduction of LIV, all won by players not playing on that tour. I don't recall any song and dance about it or anyone claiming as a result that it was prove that the PGAT is the best, but go on prove me wrong.

cleveland52

Visit site
The Masters just emboldened the Saudi backed LIV gang. Come play for us and you can still play the majors.

Please, please let a LIV player win the Masters......I just want to see the chaos at AGNC. LOL!

Visit site
The Masters were never going to exclude LIV players. I don't even know why it is news that LIV players will be invited, because that was always going to be the case - it's certainly not a win for LIV as is being made out, and it won't have any bearing on further players making the switch because every player would have already know they'd be able to play at The Masters.

I do have a feeling if it becomes a LIV v PGA shootout on Masters Sunday, you might see some Ryder Cup-esque celebrations and it could become a bit feisty out there...