LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Had the Masters banned LIV players, that would have been a huge defeat to LIV. I never expected, nor wanted that to happen. But, now the Masters have confirmed they are maintaining their qualifying criteria and LIV players can play if they qualify, it is certainly not a victory for them. It is just life going on as normal in that regard.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
While not using the word Victory you were certainly cheering in posts 9259, 9267 & 9269 as if it was.

Except I'm not, I've said it was good news, and good news for golf in general, never mentioned about it being good for LIV, let alone a victory for them. It also proves that LIV players can and should be included in the broader elements of proffesional golf - in this case, the majors.

Swango1980

Visit site
Except I'm not, I've said it was good news, and good news for golf in general, never mentioned about it being good for LIV, let alone a victory for them. It also proves that LIV players can and should be included in the broader elements of proffesional golf - in this case, the majors.
Victory for LIV, victory for professional golf...all I am saying is it is neither. It is just things continuing as before.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Victory for LIV, victory for professional golf...all I am saying is it is neither. It is just things continuing as before.

It is, which is good news, which is exactly what I said. The person who tried to 'spin' it into 'a victory for LIV' wasn't me, it was that fella from Liverpool....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Interestingly, there's a few LIV guys getting invites to The Masters for their OWGR rankings who wouldn't be anywhere near the top 50 using the comparible datagolf anaylsis - infact I'm sure I've read that they've maintained those positions by not playing OWGR events, but I'll stand corrected on that - I guess we just don't know as we've no idea how they would have faired had they not joined LIV.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

"So LIV is now part of the 'golf ecosystem' then?" Here you are saying things have changed in favour of LiV, aka a victory for LiV have you not? As I said in my reply to that post things have not changed, the Masters like all the other Majors have not, rightly in my view, changed their qualifying criteria. In other words, they are simply ignoring LiV, not recognising it one way or the other.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
"So LIV is now part of the 'golf ecosystem' then?" Here you are saying things have changed in favour of LiV, aka a victory for LiV have you not? As I said in my reply to that post things have not changed, the Masters like all the other Majors have not, rightly in my view, changed their qualifying criteria. In other words, they are simply ignoring LiV, not recognising it one way or the other.

It is part of the golf ecosystem, LIV players are now playing all over the world, on different tours, with the exception of one. 12months ago, LIV didn't exist - it was dead in the water according to one prolific voice...
The only thing it's not part of, is the OWGR - which has been exposed to be hugely questionable over it's accuracy (not just because of LIV I might add).
It's been a succesful opening year for the series, and it appears to me, that many in the world of golf are now accepting that it will be around for sometime, so, again - it's part of the ecosystem.

It's not a victory, because there needn't be a battle to be victorious in - more golfers, playing more golf, is good for golf - although I accept the PGA loyalists will disagree.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From what I saw Louis, Kokrack and Na would have been outside the top 50 under the old system of OWGR whereas they creep in at 48,49 and 50 under the new system.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
From what I saw Louis, Kokrack and Na would have been outside the top 50 under the old system of OWGR whereas they creep in at 48,49 and 50 under the new system.

That's probably what I read actually, the old system actually weighted non PGA Tour players more - so the new system is 'fairer' - to those playing on the PGA Tour.

evemccc

Visit site
Louis Osteheizen is a proper golfer…by that I mean he plays well at the Open, the US Open and at Augusta, more often than not

How he fares at the Waste Management and the John Deere Classic, I care not ?

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Louis Osteheizen is a proper golfer…by that I mean he plays well at the Open and at Augusta, more often than not

How he fares at the Waste Management and the John Deere Classic, I care not ?
Does he?

Since his Open win in 2010, he has had one 2nd and 1 3rd. Apart from that, best finish 19th and missed cut 3 times.

In same time, he came 2nd in Masters once, in 2012. Never in top 10 otherwise, crept in top 20 3 times and missed cut a couple of times.

He is definitely better than me. But, with that record, I guess there must be a lot of "proper" golfers out there?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It is part of the golf ecosystem, LIV players are now playing all over the world, on different tours, with the exception of one. 12months ago, LIV didn't exist - it was dead in the water according to one prolific voice...

So why the word "now", clearly indicating that something had changed? And why the dozen or so posts since the Master's announcement was made?

evemccc

Visit site
Does he?

Since his Open win in 2010, he has had one 2nd and 1 3rd. Apart from that, best finish 19th and missed cut 3 times.

In same time, he came 2nd in Masters once, in 2012. Never in top 10 otherwise, crept in top 20 3 times and missed cut a couple of times.

He is definitely better than me. But, with that record, I guess there must be a lot of "proper" golfers out there?

I meant to include US Open also

And yes, I do think he does have a Big Boy Major record relative to the vast majority of PGA Tour golfers ?

evemccc

Visit site
Does he?

1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Open
2nd (twice), and 3rd in the US Open,
2nd in the Masters
2nd in the PGA Champs

says he’s a ‘proper’ golfer and certainly better than you ???

D

Deleted member 1147

Does he?

Of course there are, any week one of about 50 has a more than reasonable chance of winning.