LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

OWGR approves Mexican tour – and its 54-hole events – for world-ranking points

How do you spell hypo.......
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ow...d-its-54-hole-events-world-ranking-points?amp

The approval ends a 16-month approval process for the Mexican tour, which conducts 54-hole tournaments with 36-hole cuts while offering qualification via a qualifying school and culminating its season with a no-cut championship. It also has hosted past events in conjunction with the PGA Tour Latinoamerica.

"As such, the Gira de Golf Professional de Mexicana is in keeping with long-standing OWGR eligibility and format criteria providing inclusion for professional tours at the development level with available ranking points commensurate with the format and anticipated fields," an OWGR release read.

cleveland52

Visit site
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ow...d-its-54-hole-events-world-ranking-points?amp

The approval ends a 16-month approval process for the Mexican tour, which conducts 54-hole tournaments with 36-hole cuts while offering qualification via a qualifying school and culminating its season with a no-cut championship. It also has hosted past events in conjunction with the PGA Tour Latinoamerica.

"As such, the Gira de Golf Professional de Mexicana is in keeping with long-standing OWGR eligibility and format criteria providing inclusion for professional tours at the development level with available ranking points commensurate with the format and anticipated fields," an OWGR release read.
Now imagine giving OWGR points to a tour that circumvents the process and demands favoritism. Such an act would make a mockery of the whole system.

evemccc

Visit site

So do you have a problem with 54 hole events that have a cut and qualifying, or don’t you?

With a cut and a Q-school is it ‘OK’ now?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I thought it was a 2 year application and qualification process...

Not that it matters, the Mexican tour points will be worthless anyway...

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought it was a 2 year application and qualification process...

Not that it matters, the Mexican tour points will be worthless anyway...

Not to the players involved.

Your post, as have many of your previous posts, points to your complete lack of understanding of the OWGR. It is designed to provide a ranking system for the circa 2500 players across the world that play in international competition. The development aspect is fundamental to it and not merely an add-on, otherwise, how would professional golfers ever progress to the top 200? Development tours are generally 54 events and are therefore awarded ranking points on that basis. Perhaps you see LiV as a development tour and it being awarded points on that basis.

As I have said many a time and you continue to ignore me, I see a route to the LiV tour gaining membership of the OWGR but it will require negotiation and some changes to the LiV model, both of which seem a long way from forthcoming to me.

In any walk of life if you want to be part of an "eco system" then you need to walk towards it, I have seen nothing from LiV in the last 12 months that indicates they have any desire to do that. I am guessing that is largely due to GN and not the PiV, when they see that the current model is not working for them they will get rid of GN and then there may be movement but until then I see nothing changing with regard to either OWGR or major qualification.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not to the players involved.

Your post, as have many of your previous posts, points to your complete lack of understanding of the OWGR. It is designed to provide a ranking system for the circa 2500 players across the world that play in international competition. The development aspect is fundamental to it and not merely an add-on, otherwise, how would professional golfers ever progress to the top 200? Development tours are generally 54 events and are therefore awarded ranking points on that basis. Perhaps you see LiV as a development tour and it being awarded points on that basis.

As I have said many a time and you continue to ignore me, I see a route to the LiV tour gaining membership of the OWGR but it will require negotiation and some changes to the LiV model, both of which seem a long way from forthcoming to me.

In any walk of life if you want to be part of an "eco system" then you need to walk towards it, I have seen nothing from LiV in the last 12 months that indicates they have any desire to do that. I am guessing that is largely due to GN and not the PiV, when they see that the current model is not working for them they will get rid of GN and then there may be movement but until then I see nothing changing with regard to either OWGR or major qualification.

Yeah, to the players involved it'll mean they know where they rank, but it will be meaningless other than that, but there will not be any golfer progressing to the top 200 from solely playing on that Mexican tour, I can guarantee it.

Swango1980

Visit site
What a load of codswallop.....you cannot give points for 54 hole events, but now you can, and the excuses just come on coming.
You are absolutely brilliant at interpreting posts in completely the wrong way. There is literally no point in anyone having a debate with you, as you will never be able to grasp even the most basic points made.

Nobody said "you cannot give points to 54 hole events, end of story". It is incredible that is how you have understood that to be the case.

If LIV is to be seen as a development tour, then I guess they can stick to 54 hole events and negotiate a small amount of world ranking points. I have absolutely no issues with that.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah, to the players involved it'll mean they know where they rank, but it will be meaningless other than that, but there will not be any golfer progressing to the top 200 from solely playing on that Mexican tour, I can guarantee it.
Well, exactly. Hence the reason it is a development Tour. It'll help them progress up the rankings in their own tour, if they get better, and open doors to bigger opportunities down the line. Career progression.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What a load of codswallop.....you cannot give points for 54 hole events, but now you can, and the excuses just come on coming.

The goalposts are moving faster than nuclear fission occurs mate, in case you haven't realised - all these exemptions to the OWGR 'rules' were put in place to accomodate all the minor tours and hit and giggle events that exist within the "golf ecosystem", so they could give points to invitational events and no cut events. But of course, LIV has to go to 72 holes with a cut and qualification if they are to be even considered for points according to some of the numpties on here ;-)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well, exactly. Hence the reason it is a development Tour. It'll help them progress up the rankings in their own tour, if they get better, and open doors to bigger opportunities down the line. Career progression.

They'll get picked out by invite if they play extremely well. The points won't qualify them for anything.

In the same manner, Eugenio Chacarra may well get a Ryder Cup invite if he continues to play well on LIV, and maybe, he might get an invitation to a major in the not too distant future.

Swango1980

Visit site
They'll get picked out by invite if they play extremely well. The points won't qualify them for anything.

In the same manner, Eugenio Chacarra may well get a Ryder Cup invite if he continues to play well on LIV, and maybe, he might get an invitation to a major in the not too distant future.
And, one day, the LIV players might get an invite onto the PGA Tour, help improve their rise up the World Rankings again?

Maybe. Clearly the bad blood between the PGA and LIV will not allow that Anytime soon. Getting rid of GN would probably help, he is an appauling representative of LIV.

Or, if LIV adapt to allow proper qualification they might start to tick the box for ranking points on their own. However, to earn lots of ranking points, to keep their players contending for World Number 1, they will probably need to have many events with a lot more players, and look into 72 hole tournaments. Otherwise they are much closer to the format of a development Tour.

Not sure why there would be an objection going to 72 holes? Surely that just means you get to watch more golf, would LIV fans not like that?

I can maybe see a difficulty having more players, as it just means LIV either have to spend more money, or dilute the money going to individuals. Like having a cut, and only paying the top 48, or trimming the money going to top guys, so that the guys who finish last still get paid.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some of the "numpties" on here seem to have a lack of comprehension when it comes to the word Development....
With the lesser Tours, such as the Mexican, there is a clear pathway for a player to DEVELOP and, in time, qualify for bigger and better Tours.
These Tours are allowed to be over 54 holes.
Where is the progression from LIV?
Which Tour can DJ "progress" to..?
If there is a progression available then that will have fulfilled one of the criteria....is there one?

D

Deleted member 15344

So do you have a problem with 54 hole events that have a cut and qualifying, or don’t you?

With a cut and a Q-school is it ‘OK’ now?

That was a cut and paste from the article giving the reasons why the Mexican Tour qualified for ranking points ?‍♂️

it’s always been “ok” for a “developmental” tour to play 54 holes providing they fulfill other areas of the criteria - cut , q school etc

Nothing has changed

The Mexican Tour is a developmental tour so as per their criteria can be 54 holes ( the same as Mena tour etc )- come on at least try and grasp some level of understanding of how it works and why LIV currently doesnt get ranking points - and it’s not just because they only play 54 holes

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If LIV is to be seen as a development tour, then I guess they can stick to 54 hole events and negotiate a small amount of world ranking points. I have absolutely no issues with that.

A small point, but points should not be negotiated for. Its up to OWGR to allocate appropriate points for their own credibility and the usefulness of the rankings. Effectively, all tours should get something. According to level of player, depth of field, renown of the title, competitiveness of access to it, etc. So not up to liv to negotiate points, but owgr to allocate them something appropriate to a limited field, limited access, level of golfer between Campions and Kornferry, for tournaments of no heritage.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some of the "numpties" on here seem to have a lack of comprehension when it comes to the word Development....
With the lesser Tours, such as the Mexican, there is a clear pathway for a player to DEVELOP and, in time, qualify for bigger and better Tours.
These Tours are allowed to be over 54 holes.
Where is the progression from LIV?
Which Tour can DJ "progress" to..?
If there is a progression available then that will have fulfilled one of the criteria....is there one?
To be fair, where is the progression path from the PGAT ?

The only precedent we have seen, is to LIV...

Though thats more akin to 'development' to the Champions tour really.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Well, no. Thats a DP Tour event, so he cant be invited to that. Are you serious !?!?!

D

Deleted member 15344

The goalposts are moving faster than nuclear fission occurs mate, in case you haven't realised - all these exemptions to the OWGR 'rules' were put in place to accomodate all the minor tours and hit and giggle events that exist within the "golf ecosystem", so they could give points to invitational events and no cut events. But of course, LIV has to go to 72 holes with a cut and qualification if they are to be even considered for points according to some of the numpties on here ;-)

The goalposts haven’t moved at all - the Mexican Tour qualifies for points in the exact same way as the other developmental tours - what exactly do you think has moved ?

Nothing has been “put in place” that wasn’t already there before this year

LIV is not a developmental tour so it needs to follow the same criteria as the PGAT , DP tour , Asian Tour , Sunshine Tour

Eugenio Chacarra will not be invited to any Ryder Cup until he is a member of the ET and is able to gain Ryder Cup qualification points

Just like he won’t get an invite to the majors unless he qualifies via one of the many qualifiers