LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Open
2nd (twice), and 3rd in the US Open,
2nd in the Masters
2nd in the PGA Champs

says he’s a ‘proper’ golfer and certainly better than you ???
Not sure if you are looking for an argument, as I was simply asking a question. The reason for my question was that his record does not appear overly brilliant compared to many other of the world's top golfers. You specifically only mentioned 2 of the Majors, I was wondering why? It simply appears to have been an error of communication on your part, no problem.

But, no idea what "proper" golfer means. Could argue that any professional golfer who has played on the main tours is a "proper" golfer. Some might even say their county amateur champion, or even club champion is a "proper" golfer, or the 10 handicapper who usually features in the top 10 of the monthly medal.

Everyone will have a different set of parameters to define a "proper" golfer. I was trying to figure out yours. If Louis is a "proper" golfer (and I agree, he has had some good performances over the years), then we could probably write a very long list of others who meet that definition.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Louis Osteheizen is a proper golfer…by that I mean he plays well at the Open, the US Open and at Augusta, more often than not

How he fares at the Waste Management and the John Deere Classic, I care not ?
Both of those being significantly more competitive than a LIV event, would you care even less how he fares in a LIV, and pretty much, regard LIV events as entirely worthless ?

evemccc

Visit site
Not sure if you are looking for an argument, as I was simply asking a question. The reason for my question was that his record does not appear overly brilliant compared to many other of the world's top golfers. You specifically only mentioned 2 of the Majors, I was wondering why? It simply appears to have been an error of communication on your part, no problem.

But, no idea what "proper" golfer means. Could argue that any professional golfer who has played on the main tours is a "proper" golfer. Some might even say their county amateur champion, or even club champion is a "proper" golfer, or the 10 handicapper who usually features in the top 10 of the monthly medal.

Everyone will have a different set of parameters to define a "proper" golfer. I was trying to figure out yours. If Louis is a "proper" golfer (and I agree, he has had some good performances over the years), then we could probably write a very long list of others who meet that definition.

Definitely not looking for any argument - my post was to stress that (IMO) Louis Ostheizen is able to peak at majors and has a track record of performing at Majors which is certainly better than your average run of the mill PGA Tour player —- as evidenced above

This is in the context of this thread, which is about LIV golf - and LIV golfers — and the persistent narrative has been, laughably, that nearly all golfers on the LIV tour are ‘past it’ and basically no loss whatsoever

Your post, to which I responded, depicts Louis Ost as basically no better than a standard PGA Tour player

His record is a lot better than you’re suggesting - esp on the hardest courses when the comp is at its most fierce

evemccc

Visit site
Are you saying that you are only interested on majors, or only majors determine a golfers ranking ?

I, personally, don’t really care at all about tour golf…I personally only really care about the majors and I only watch the Open and the Masters

I think that performances in majors when the fields are strongest and on major-courses is a v good indicator of how good a player’s golf CV is….but I don’t want to get into rankings because I’m not invested in tour golf

AussieKB

Visit site
Louis compared to a lot of players in the Hall of Fame is well positioned, there are guys in there who have not won a Major, so I would think he is rated better than a tour pro who has not won a Major IMO.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I, personally, don’t really care at all about tour golf…I personally only really care about the majors and I only watch the Open and the Masters

I think that performances in majors when the fields are strongest and on major-courses is a v good indicator of how good a player’s golf CV is….but I don’t want to get into rankings because I’m not invested in tour golf

Do not feed the troll.

Swango1980

Visit site
Louis compared to a lot of players in the Hall of Fame is well positioned, there are guys in there who have not won a Major, so I would think he is rated better than a tour pro who has not won a Major IMO.
Personally, I'd have placed Lee Westwood higher than Louis in the list of better golfers over their careers. Same with Colin Montgomerie

D

Deleted member 15344

Louis Oosthuizen is a World Class player and has been for a decade, he is major winner and has been close a number of other times , prob should have got over the line a couple more times

He has a career that Westwood and Montgomerie would swap because he has the claret jug as a trophy

Swango1980

Visit site
Louis Oosthuizen is a World Class player and has been for a decade, he is major winner and has been close a number of other times , prob should have got over the line a couple more times

He has a career that Westwood and Montgomerie would swap because he has the claret jug as a trophy
Absolutely no doubt he has been a world class player, and had a career many would be envious of.

Whether he has had a better career than Westwood or Monty or not is simply personal opinion.

Certainly no one can speak on behalf of Westwood. I doubt he'd swap his career for Todd Hamilton's, so it clearly isn't as simple as comparing Major wins. I know he'd have absolutely loved one, like all players, but he has had some unbelievable highs, including the Ryder Cup. Would he sacrifice his Ryder Cup appearances for one Claret Jug? I doubt it.

evemccc

Visit site
I cannot believe many would rather have some Ryder Cup appearances over a Claret Jug….but each to their own I suppose

Maybe I think that because I’m not hugely interested in the Ryder Cup or modern Ryder Cup courses - whereas for me The Open is the pinnacle of golf and I’m interested in Open history - and for Open courses I’m fully ?

cleveland52

Visit site
Never heard of the bottom bloke, but he has 7 million reasons not to care about rankings:ROFLMAO:
Totally agree. They're all handsomely compensated and ranking points should be nothing but an afterthought.

All should just disappear and thank their lucky stars that they hit the lottery.

Peter Uihlein, $12.8M LOL!

Brendon Grace pocketed $16.6 million yet he continued to have his cake and eat it to by playing the DP World tour. Shameful, a starving tour player was deprived.

Last edited: