LIV Golf

cleveland52

Visit site
Thats the problem. If THEIR CRITERIA dont correctly assess the rankings of the world best golfers, then they are meaningless.
LOL! They're only meaningless to the players that refuses to conform.
OWGR points become meaningless when players that don't conform receive unearned points.

cleveland52

Visit site
Those golfers are playing a tour that doesn't play the same golf as the others.
It's like Man City deciding that they're only going to play an hour but still want all 3 points when they win.....
If these other "best players in the world" want in then they need to lean on LIV..not the other way round.
LIV is showing unparalleled levels of arrogance in demanding that everyone else bows to their demands.......they are the outsiders..
Agreed 100%....and that arrogance that LIV possesses is very annoying.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
LOL! They're only meaningless to the players that refuses to conform.
They are meaningless to me. And anyone who wants to see a ranking of who the worlds best golfers are - which given the name of the OWGR, suggests it purports to give. They used to make a good assessment of it. But now distorts itself as it hasnt updated to the modern world, which includes topflight golfers not playing in tournaments that didnt exist when it was defined. The measure isnt fit for purpose. OWGR are a laughing stock if they dont adapt very sharply now.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They are meaningless to me. And anyone who wants to see a ranking of who the worlds best golfers are - which given the name of the OWGR, suggests it purports to give. They used to make a good assessment of it. But now distorts itself as it hasnt updated to the modern world, which includes topflight golfers not playing in tournaments that didnt exist when it was defined. The measure isnt fit for purpose. OWGR are a laughing stock if they dont adapt very sharply now.
Again it's everyone else having to comply with LIV....it should be the other way round.
LIV just make noise and expect everyone to listen.
And they don't listen to anyone else.
LIV are the problem.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Oozlum bird
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The oozlum bird, also spelled ouzelum, is a legendary creature found in Australian and British folk tales and legends. Some versions have it that, the bird will fly around in ever-decreasing circles until it manages to fly up its own backside, disappearing completely, which adds to its rarity.

Sounds a bit like this thread

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is LIV open to anyone or invitation only to one of the 48 slots?

Just asking for a mate who wants to gain some OWGR points.

Tell him not to bother, apparently LIV can spot a talented amateur, sign him up, and that kid can fulfill his potential within 5 events to win several million dollars.

If your mate wants Gregg’s number, DM me
;-

cleveland52

Visit site
OWGR has no obligation to rank leisurely golf no matter how many times LIV exhibition fans repeat its bogus claim that the process is illegitimate. Hopefully LIV Golf Series bullying tactic will fail despite all of its backdoor antics.

People are laughing. but they're laughing at the ridiculous excuses LIV fans are presenting in favor of points.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Again it's everyone else having to comply with LIV....it should be the other way round.
LIV just make noise and expect everyone to listen.
And they don't listen to anyone else.
LIV are the problem.
LIV are a problem alright. Its a crap tour, and harming the entertainment value of pro golf. But prostituting the OWGR as a tool of the PGAT seems something the PGAT is willing to sacrifice. There may be an Official World Golf Ranking these days, but there is no ranking of the world's best golfers.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Is LIV open to anyone, or invitation only to one of the 48 slots?

Just asking for a mate who wants to gain some OWGR points.
Go on then, I'll bite.

For clarification, which tournaments can you share that are open to absolutely anyone?

The Open Championship might be an obvious choice, but then players have to have attained a certain standard, and have to be male! So no, that doesn't fit, not open to anyone.

Am not here to defend liv. The limitations are well known. I am capable of acknowledging it has only been around 4 months though.
There was this stuff....
https://golf.com/news/liv-golf-relegation-qualifying-tournament/?amp=1

? ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don't think you understand the simple difference between qualification and invitation
Nah, just reading the words written. (and clearly being back pedalled from now)

I imagine a fair few score of PGAT members would have liked to have played the CJ Cup last week - but it wasn't open to them. Especially not the 13% of places that were for invitations. ?‍♂️

Message received, invitationals are now bad. Best remove all records of early Masters tournaments.

Ian_George

Visit site
OWGR has no obligation to rank leisurely golf no matter how many times LIV exhibition fans repeat its bogus claim that the process is illegitimate. Hopefully LIV Golf Series bullying tactic will fail despite all of its backdoor antics.

People are laughing. but they're laughing at the ridiculous excuses LIV fans are presenting in favor of points.
I'm in favour of LIV golfers being awarded points - eventually!
But before that happens, LIV must comply with the many, reasonable, requirements/rules that it currently fails to, primarily as these 'standardise' the assessment of any tournament's worth! Those requirements were published long before LIV started demanding immediate allocation of points and are complied with by all tours that awarded them. So I agree with your description of their tactics as 'bullying' and 'backdoor'!

It seems, to me, that it's really only for the Majors that 'immediate' OWGR points, are critical - and then only for a very limited number of players anyway. The likes of Cam Smith, Dustin Johnson, BdC etc already gualify - through criteria separate to OWGR positions - and will continue to do so for 2-3 years, so they've no problem if it takes the standard 12 month-ish assessment time before the tour is able to allocate points. If that wasn't considered and checked by the other players before they signed up to LIV, then more fool them!! They already have a convenient vehicle, the MENA Tour through which to achieve that - while still operating their 'invitation' series.

As for the alternative ranking - that includes LIV tournaments/players, that's simply a different analysis with no better or poorer value imo except those running the Majors (and The Players) control it - no bad thing imo. FWIW, my casual analysis indicates that it rates LIV tournaments pretty low compared to PGAT ones, which doesn't help the points allocated to those LIV players finishing outside the first few places - and that's in addition to the likes of Cam Smith, BdC etc. who are not performing very well for whatever reason.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Isn't it odd that for tens of millions of golfers our ranking is based on our best performances in our last 20 rounds but for elite pros it's closer to their best in their last 200 rounds

Just give the pros a ranking based on best 8 from 20 and problem solved
;)