LIV Golf

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Most of the OEM's have been quiet over LIV, wonder if there's anything to read into this from Taylor Made, 2 of their biggest ambassadors on a promo together. Hopefully an indication that we're going to move away from the pettiness we've seen in recent weeks - coupled with the players dropping out of the court case...

There isnt he still has an RBC logo on his shirt so it was filmed before LIV … probably
Same with the wedge video they released a month or 2 back

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There isnt he still has an RBC logo on his shirt so it was filmed before LIV … probably
Same with the wedge video they released a month or 2 back

It was released yesterday on the TM website. Doesn’t matter when it was filmed, Taylor Made obviously had it in their interests to release it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It was released yesterday on the TM website. Doesn’t matter when it was filmed, Taylor Made obviously had it in their interests to release it.

Well it doesn't help in proving that Rory and DJ are still mates despite the changes does it? If we see a newly filmed vid of all the sponsored players together then maybe?

A lot of the equipment manufacturers don't seem that fussed about players hopping over to LIV though, I note Bryson is still carrying his COBRA bag to the long drive championships this year

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well it doesn't help in proving that Rory and DJ are still mates despite the changes does it? If we see a newly filmed vid of all the sponsored players together then maybe?

A lot of the equipment manufacturers don't seem that fussed about players hopping over to LIV though, I note Bryson is still carrying his COBRA bag to the long drive championships this year
I very much doubt all the players have fallen out on a personal level, some may have, but these guys know their paths will cross many times in the remainder of their careers.

D

Deleted member 15344

Be good to see one of the execs from the other tours face the same type of interview from Piers, thought GN handled that pretty well tbh.

Why do the execs need to speak to someone like Piers Morgan ?

Right now GN is on the offensive - last week going to the US government and being shot down , constant shouting about the other tours and Ranking points

This all smacks of someone who is getting desperate because things aren’t going his way - seems like lots of promises were made to the players and they haven’t been made

And the media deal is another perfect example if it’s true - last week going on about multiple deals etc , now it’s looking like they have to pay to go on main stream.

I don’t think this is all going as smoothly as you think

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

So GN said he was sitting down with media deals and the one they went with is to pay for the coverage , also provide the coverage and sort any sponsors out themselves ?‍♂️

I though media deals were supposed to be the other way around
Putting the GN stuff to the side for a mo', from what I have seen of US golf coverage they have different presenters & commentators per network.
Liv had already gone down the route of sorting their own presenters & commentators, plus the footage - so I'd always assumed it would be a different model. At least in those countries happy with an English speaking presentation I guess.

D

Deleted member 15344

Putting the GN stuff to the side for a mo', from what I have seen of US golf coverage they have different presenters & commentators per network.
Liv had already gone down the route of sorting their own presenters & commentators, plus the footage - so I'd always assumed it would be a different model. At least in those countries happy with an English speaking presentation I guess.

yeah they can use their own production etc but they are having to pay for airtime ?

All the other sports get paid to broadcast the events - are they struggling to get any sort of media interest beyond You Tube ?

What are you going to do in the UK for example

IainP

Visit site
yeah they can use their own production etc but they are having to pay for airtime ?

All the other sports get paid to broadcast the events - are they struggling to get any sort of media interest beyond You Tube ?

What are you going to do in the UK for example
Quite possibly struggling. Could well be some things that will come out in the "anti trust" stuff, but just speculation.
Might be different in a couple of years.

In UK, the model doesn't fit with Sky's model. I posted before I wasn't clear if there was 'clamour' for it being on tv outside of US really.
Based on this forum, don't think anyone is looking for it to be on tv, but then again a sizeable chunk would likely prefer it to go away full stop ??

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Strange one this deal with fox

Is it their choice to pay to avoid ad breaks or is it their only option

Probably the former I reckon

IainP

Visit site
Strange one this deal with fox

Is it their choice to pay to avoid ad breaks or is it their only option

Probably the former I reckon
Confident it will be spun both ways (as most things these days), and we'll never really know.

As per Phil, I think in time they'll want/need the ad money - but for now have stumbled upon a USP and may see that as worth sticking with, as cash flow not being an issue

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Confident it will be spun both ways (as most things these days), and we'll never really know.

As per Phil, I think in time they'll want/need the ad money - but for now have stumbled upon a USP and may see that as worth sticking with, as cash flow not being an issue

Bang on I think.

They can swallow 5 years of losses no problem so long as it establishes the tour. From then - big changes I'm sure!

D

Deleted member 15344

23673F5D-232F-43AF-B631-999138296E83.jpeg
what the heck were the three other offers if this was the best

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I believe LIV have 14 events which their contracted players will be obligated to attend. I also believe that the PGA Tour requires players to sign up to a minimum of 15 events.

If that is correct then for players to play both tours and comply with the requirements they will have to play 29 events rather than 14 or 15, unless LIV and the PGA Tour agree to co-sanction some of them, which appears unlikely this side of Hell freezing over. That looks distinctly like a doubling of workloads unless anything changes.

On a basic maths yes however when you factor in that the vast majority of the LIV guys still (at present) fulfill obligations elsewhere and compete in Europe or Japan etc then their schedule is significantly more than their LIV obligations.

I'm surprised that I had to explain that but at the risk of sounding like a broken record the haters.....

You get the picture

D

Deleted member 15344

On a basic maths yes however when you factor in that the vast majority of the LIV guys still (at present) fulfill obligations elsewhere and compete in Europe or Japan etc then their schedule is significantly more than their LIV obligations.

I'm surprised that I had to explain that but at the risk of sounding like a broken record the haters.....

You get the picture

Currently the only LIV guys fulfil any other tour requirements are those that need events for ranking points and those that have been binned off when bigger name players arrived.

The likes of Gooch etc aren’t playing to fulfil requirements as they are not members of the ET so have no requirements for fulfil

Most of them are now just playing LIV - the likes of DJ , Koepka , BDC - most of them are going to end up playing under 10 events this year.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Currently the only LIV guys fulfil any other tour requirements are those that need events for ranking points and those that have been binned off when bigger name players arrived.

The likes of Gooch etc aren’t playing to fulfil requirements as they are not members of the ET so have no requirements for fulfil

Most of them are now just playing LIV - the likes of DJ , Koepka , BDC - most of them are going to end up playing under 10 events this year.

Hence why it's being challenged - again really didn't think that would require an explanation.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

I'm sure these guys are waiting on the resolution of the OGWR situation at the moment though. They have exemptions so need not rush to play other tour if its not necessary for the majors!

I honestly think these guys are the ones laughing the loudest at the moment, way less golf and more money in the bank. They have time on their side for a few years yet!

D

Deleted member 15344

Hence why it's being challenged - again really didn't think that would require an explanation.

Challenged? Do you mean the lawsuit that players are pulling out of ? And some of the players have resigned as PGAT members ?‍♂️ So they are just LIV members ?

But the point BIM was clear - if they want to play on LIV and another tour then they are going to play a minimum of 28/29 events

The players right now that play on two tours have a number of events that double up - majors , WGC - that’s ten events alone that count on both tours , so the likes of Rory will play around 20 events , same with anyone who plays two tours where majors count
I'm sure these guys are waiting on the resolution of the OGWR situation at the moment though. They have exemptions so need not rush to play other tour if its not necessary for the majors!

I honestly think these guys are the ones laughing the loudest at the moment, way less golf and more money in the bank. They have time on their side for a few years yet!

I guess if that’s all they are motivated by then they will be happy with the money

I suspect other golfers already have a lot of money but also want to compete for the prestige to win some of the tournaments in the name of the greats or comps that the greats have won before.