LIV Golf

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What, all the players who left to get a shorter schedule and more family time would sign up to double their workload for very little extra cash in comparison to their guaranteed signing on cash from LIV? I’m not seeing it.

Nobody would double anything. Freedom of choice to select what events you wish to play.

It's really what should have been done from the start rather than toys out of the pram approach. Sadly both Tours appear to far apart and too fractured to come to any agreement or compromise now.

I'm certainly no legal expert and perhaps more intelligent people than me can answer this. How does this whole situation compare to "Bosman" restrictions of trade etc? Freedom of movement (between Tours)? If it's allowed between Europe and US why not Liv?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nobody would double anything. Freedom of choice to select what events you wish to play.

It's really what should have been done from the start rather than toys out of the pram approach. Sadly both Tours appear to far apart and too fractured to come to any agreement or compromise now.

I'm certainly no legal expert and perhaps more intelligent people than me can answer this. How does this whole situation compare to "Bosman" restrictions of trade etc? Freedom of movement (between Tours)? If it's allowed between Europe and US why not Liv?

Not sure that we are in the same territory here. Bosman, from what I recall, revolved around clubs holding on to player registrations at the end of contracts so as they could not move on a free at the end of their transfer. The clubs could hold them to ransom and prevent theim playing elesewhere even when their contract ended. Nobody is preventing anyone playing on either tour but they want exclusivity so not a restraint of trade as such. Sadly we now have a case where we just have to see which holds out londer, the PGA tour pigheadedness or the LIV Tour wallet. There will be casualties along the way I am sure. The only other method of outright victory is for the LIV Tour to sign up enough of the top 50 golfers to make the PGA Tour and irrelevance. As I said, as we stand only one is coming out of this alive

D

Deleted member 15344

The issue is all the current tours including LIV have a minimum numbers of tournaments they must play in to keep their membership/card

LIV next year they have to play in every single event - PGAT and the other tours there are minimums that a player must play to keep their card

They aren’t going to change that because it would be Tour suicide

And there is no “restriction” of trade - it’s about membership , if someone wants to be a member of any of the tours then there are membership rules to follow. If they don’t want to follow those then the players are free to go and play on any of the other tours they qualify for.

As example can some play for Chelsea one day and then Liverpool the next and then back to Chelsea ? Nope because they are under contract.

Current PGAT rules allow for players to be able to play tours on other “continents” - for tournaments within the US they are required to request for a release

Last edited by a moderator:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The LIV lawsuit is falling apart..
Only Matt Jones, Peter Uihlein and Bryson left....all the rest have pulled out.:unsure:
Personally I feel it would be best if all the players stay/pull out and leave it to the administrators.
A couple of weeks back..

Mickelson said: “Now that LIV is involved, it’s not necessary for me to be involved. I currently still am. I don’t know what I’m going to do, really. The only reason for me to stay in it is damages, which I don’t really want or need anything."

Mind, not everyone has his cash ?

BubbaP

Visit site
Why would they do that when they would then see a flood of their best players leaving ?

Who would that benefit ? Certainly wouldn’t be the PGAT
To be fair the question you asked was -
What can the PGAT actually do ?

The answer didn’t need to be palatable to you or Jay, doesn’t make it an invalid answer though.

I think you recently argued strongly (& convincingly I thought) on the strength of the DPWT - yet they have what, a minimum of 4 tournaments a year.

So could the PGAT drop the min reqs, of course they could.(agree they may not want to)

Worth recalling it only went to 14 events and extra $ to Asian tour after the hostilities. I totally acknowledge that may have been the intention anyway, but we don't really know.

Still can't see it happening mind! ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A merger in general is fanciful thinking at this stage, but it doesn't mean it isn't feasibly possible.

Sheik Mansour has invested Billions to make Man City relevant and still not won a CL - LIV's initial investment is simply that, if it gets a foot in the door a couple billion is nothing to these people.

A seat at the table of professional golf for the years to come is worth more than a couple of billion.

It seems that the “seat at the table” will be a table for one, in the corner, by themselves

D

Deleted member 15344

To be fair the question you asked was -
What can the PGAT actually do ?

The answer didn’t need to be palatable to you or Jay, doesn’t make it an invalid answer though.

I think you recently argued strongly (& convincingly I thought) on the strength of the DPWT - yet they have what, a minimum of 4 tournaments a year.

So could the PGAT drop the min reqs, of course they could.(agree they may not want to)

Worth recalling it only went to 14 events and extra $ to Asian tour after the hostilities. I totally acknowledge that may have been the intention anyway, but we don't really know.

Still can't see it happening mind! ?

Some valid points

Removing the minimum number of games that need to be played could be done - but imo that is just suicide for the tour , especially the ET as I suspect most of the top Europeans would prob just come back for the one event maybe two

In regards the 14 events - I have no doubt that it was always the plan to have a significant amount of events - just my opinion but I don’t believe GN ever wanted to work with the PGAT , maybe the ET but not the PGAT , the grudge and issues between the two are well known.

Imo he wants to surpass the PGAT and damage it - and the appearance of the Saudi money gave him the means to do so. Joining the Asian Tour was prob an afterthought because I suspect he thought he could join with the ET after the Saudi event being on the ET for a few years and a link there already

BubbaP

Visit site
Some valid points

Removing the minimum number of games that need to be played could be done - but imo that is just suicide for the tour , especially the ET as I suspect most of the top Europeans would prob just come back for the one event maybe two

In regards the 14 events - I have no doubt that it was always the plan to have a significant amount of events - just my opinion but I don’t believe GN ever wanted to work with the PGAT , maybe the ET but not the PGAT , the grudge and issues between the two are well known.

Imo he wants to surpass the PGAT and damage it - and the appearance of the Saudi money gave him the means to do so. Joining the Asian Tour was prob an afterthought because I suspect he thought he could join with the ET after the Saudi event being on the ET for a few years and a link there already
Yeah fair point on the ET (DPWT), I was kind of thinking the road currently on was for more co-sanctioned events, which would help the top Euro players meet the PGAT requirement targets.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah fair point on the ET (DPWT), I was kind of thinking the road currently on was for more co-sanctioned events, which would help the top Euro players meet the PGAT requirement targets.

i think when the Co sanction events will be carefully scheduled to make the ET event the stronger one - like the Scottish Open and Barbasol ( think it’s called ) going on and the same time but most of the top guys going to Scottish open

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
i think when the Co sanction events will be carefully scheduled to make the ET event the stronger one - like the Scottish Open and Barbasol ( think it’s called ) going on and the same time but most of the top guys going to Scottish open

Not really a huge difference from normal as the Scottish has traditionally been well supported by the top guys looking to hone their competitive game on the links a week prior to the Open.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not really a huge difference from normal as the Scottish has traditionally been well supported by the top guys looking to hone their competitive game on the links a week prior to the Open.

Only have to compare the 2019 line up to the 2022 Line up to see the difference - previously there were a few of the top Americans used to come over - the 2022 version - think there was 7 of the top ten in the world playing

Edit - 14 out of the top 15 , strongest ET event for a long time

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf...ow-in-field-for-genesis-scottish-open-3746016

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I believe LIV have 14 events which their contracted players will be obligated to attend. I also believe that the PGA Tour requires players to sign up to a minimum of 15 events.

If that is correct then for players to play both tours and comply with the requirements they will have to play 29 events rather than 14 or 15, unless LIV and the PGA Tour agree to co-sanction some of them, which appears unlikely this side of Hell freezing over. That looks distinctly like a doubling of workloads unless anything changes.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Most of the OEM's have been quiet over LIV, wonder if there's anything to read into this from Taylor Made, 2 of their biggest ambassadors on a promo together. Hopefully an indication that we're going to move away from the pettiness we've seen in recent weeks - coupled with the players dropping out of the court case...