LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
This Tiger & Rory stadium golf thing is all a bit cringe imo.
If LIV golf hadn’t come along & Tiger tried this he’d be getting slated for it.
Seems he’s got a few more fans now.

Think I need to see it before deciding, but if if it was an idea presented on Dragons Den, I'd be declaring "I'm out"

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like Its a Knockout. Rubbish. Why do people think they need to dumb down or reinvent something that needs no reinventing. Get on with the real thing and ditch the crazy golf.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Potato, potato. The other majors will exempt them to their tournaments, the master will invite them. Bottom line is, they'll be there.
Yeah...they'll be there because the ones that matter have recently won Majors and are, therefore, exempt...Bryson, Brooks, DJ, Read etc etc
The ones that aren't - Westwood, Poulter, Kaymer, Gooch, Na etc etc will have to qualify.
If they're in the top 50 or 60 in the OWGR on a certain date then that will qualify them..if they're not then there are qualifying competitions that they can enter.
The Opens are not going to say to them " Oh, you were once a World #1 ..please come and play....
The pathway is already there for them to qualify...if they don't qualify then they don't play.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thought you would definitely be in - it’s a short format ?‍♂️

Did I see somewhere that it will be on a Monday Evening?
It's definitely aimed at primetime viewing, that's a well repeated phrase in all the press blurb, which will mean it will be happening in the early hours of the morning over here - assuming it's primetime USA viewing.

It's definitely not proper golf on a course, maybe that's why I have my doubts as to whether it will appeal to me.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
It would be a shame to see these players rocking up at qualifying for the Open etc. imagine being an elite amateur or lower ranked/club pro and turning up to try and qualify and having to play against DJ et al.
In that sense this could negatively impact those who aren’t even involved in the whole thing.

Harry Putter

Visit site
Think I need to see it before deciding, but if if it was an idea presented on Dragons Den, I'd be declaring "I'm out"

If Dragons Den presented an individual golf format but contrived a team element that nobody cares about, with names like Crushers, Punch and Smash then I'd definitely be out.. in fact you wouldn't even get in the room.

How much are LIV paying you to spout your constant drivel?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If Dragons Den presented an individual golf format but contrived a team element that nobody cares about, with names like Crushers, Punch and Smash then I'd definitely be out.. in fact you wouldn't even get in the room.

How much are LIV paying you to spout your constant drivel?

Definitley not enough to compensate for the nonsense I have to put up with on here. ;)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah...they'll be there because the ones that matter have recently won Majors and are, therefore, exempt...Bryson, Brooks, DJ, Read etc etc
The ones that aren't - Westwood, Poulter, Kaymer, Gooch, Na etc etc will have to qualify.
If they're in the top 50 or 60 in the OWGR on a certain date then that will qualify them..if they're not then there are qualifying competitions that they can enter.
The Opens are not going to say to them " Oh, you were once a World #1 ..please come and play....
The pathway is already there for them to qualify...if they don't qualify then they don't play.
You cant have a pathway that ignores a tour regardless of the level of player on it. The will make a new pathway ; and Saudi Tour winners, top 10 on the Saudi rankings, anyone who places in the top 3 in the 3 tournys before that major or whatever. If the existing pathway doesnt work, you have to lay a new one.

D

Deleted member 15344

You cant have a pathway that ignores a tour regardless of the level of player on it. The will make a new pathway ; and Saudi Tour winners, top 10 on the Saudi rankings, anyone who places in the top 3 in the 3 tournys before that major or whatever. If the existing pathway doesnt work, you have to lay a new one.

No matter how many times you say it still won’t make it happen

There will be no direct entry from the LIV Tour results into the majors

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No matter how many times you say it still won’t make it happen

There will be no direct entry from the LIV Tour results into the majors
So on Monday, for example, Cantlay, Straka, Zalatoris, Homa, Hatton, Poston, Power, Schauffle, Wise, Noren, Harmon, Kuchar, Kirk, Fleetwood, Lee, List, Glover, English, Young, Hovland, Burns, Finau, Lahiri, Fox, Berger, Stallings, Wise, Bradley, Horschel, Varner, Triangle, Theegala, all take the Sheiks Riyal. It benefits the majors how, not to have those players in their fields ?

D

Deleted member 15344

So on Monday, for example, Cantlay, Straka, Zalatoris, Homa, Hatton, Poston, Power, Schauffle, Wise, Noren, Harmon, Kuchar, Kirk, Fleetwood, Lee, List, Glover, English, Young, Hovland, Burns, Finau, Lahiri, Fox, Berger, Stallings, Wise, Bradley, Horschel, Varner, Triangle, Theegala, all take the Sheiks Riyal. It benefits the majors how, not to have those players in their fields ?
?‍♂️ Sorry not sure your point as many of them will gain access via exemptions already and most of them people won’t care about and have little impact on the majors anyway

It doesn’t change that the majors won’t change their qualifying to help LIV Tour players

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can see that you are missing the point - if you saw it, you would agree that the majors will change their criteria. It isnt needed at the moment. The players that matter still get in by the existing routes. BdC, DJ, PR, CS. But once there is a risk of a significant cohort of the worlds best golfers not having automatic access as they do at the moment, then the majors will react. There is no way they will hobble the prestige they hold today.

sunshine

Visit site
@Mel Smooth
There comes a point when the continual forcing of one’s opinion down everyone’s throats crosses the line between opinion/debate to flaming.
You are getting close to crossing that line

We are a golf forum and LIV is a subject we need to talk about, but your almost evangelical stance is becoming problematical

We do need contrarian views for a constructive debate, but I understand your point.

To be fair, this thread is heading for 300 pages and I think we all know what Mel is up to, so people shouldn’t be taking it seriously or getting offended any more. He’s turned into a parody account now with his Twitter “facts”.

D

Deleted member 15344

I can see that you are missing the point - if you saw it, you would agree that the majors will change their criteria. It isnt needed at the moment. The players that matter still get in by the existing routes. BdC, DJ, PR, CS. But once there is a risk of a significant cohort of the worlds best golfers not having automatic access as they do at the moment, then the majors will react. There is no way they will hobble the prestige they hold today.

I’m not missing the point - I know exactly what you are trying to say

But it’s also very clear that the majors imo will not create direct qualifying from LIV events or tours when every single one of them can qualify from other means

If the tour becomes a standard tour with points then there will be further entry

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We do need contrarian views for a constructive debate, but I understand your point.

To be fair, this thread is heading for 300 pages and I think we all know what Mel is up to, so people shouldn’t be taking it seriously or getting offended any more. He’s turned into a parody account now with his Twitter “facts”.

What’s that then?

I’m just debating the issue from the LIV side of the argument - obviously outnumbered on this platform by those that aren’t fans, but happy to keep contributing despite the seemingly unwavering views shared by both sides.

As for twitter news, Smith, Leishman and Tringale apparently confirmed as going, plus another top 30 player that will be a ‘bombshell’. The twitter account is Argentinian, and lots of speculation it will be Joaquin Niemann, which would be deemed a big signing in that part of the world.