LIV Golf

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
But that’s always going to be the case, as it always has been. We’re talking about a scenario where the field is engineered to exclude players from competing - who would have a genuine chance of winning.

Nothing is being engineered though is it?

Players left to play LiV knowing there were no world ranking points on offer at those events. They were told they would be banned from the PGAT if they tees it up at a LiV event. Unless, and I know this is highly unlikely, Greg Norman lied to them about OGWR points. They have no one to blame but themselves if they can’t get into a major.

The only players that are of any real value will still be exempt for a number of years. At the minute we are talking about 3 or 4 players. That clearly may change in the future.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don't get this. It's called "The Open Championship" for a reason so unless Liv golfers were banned from entering qualifying they'd be able to get in?
Agree, & wouldn't it be great to see some at regional qualifying :D

I think two thoughts/conversations have become mixed. One as you mention is specific exclusion, there's been a few rumours but currently no actual indication this will happen (Masters maybe being the biggest doubt). The other is the "ease" of qualification. Is it a case of just spend some time on the Asian and DPWT (if allowed) to earn your way in that way. Or might some ranking system from the LIV events be added to the qualifications. Time will tell I guess.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A lot of people seem to forget that the owgr has not been around since the days of Old Tom Morris.
The majors had the worlds best players long before the owgr became a useful tool to select them. The will continue to ensure they have the worlds best golfers even if the owgr no longer indicated correctly the worlds best golfers.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
A lot of people seem to forget that the owgr has not been around since the days of Old Tom Morris.
The majors had the worlds best players long before the owgr became a useful tool to select them. The will continue to ensure they have the worlds best golfers even if the owgr no longer indicated correctly the worlds best golfers.

Did he? Or did he play against those well off enough to enter the competition?

RRidges

Visit site
Just heard on the Beeb before I get called a shill, it’s being reported that Cam Smith is signing for LIV on Monday ?
That would be the logical time for the announcement, so no surprise - if it happens. Though with typical LIV style, a couple more days of 'suspense' would provide beneficial publicity.

RRidges

Visit site
The winner of The Open is Champion Golfer, would it not be a hollow title knowing there are golfers out there that could have potentially challenged for that position?
You have repeated the same sort of 'misrepresentation' that I've noted and/or suspected in other pro-LIV statements - and a goodly number of anti-LIV ones too. That possible misrepresentation is the reason for the 2nd statement of a court oath!
The Title is 'Champion Golfer of the Year', so your entire statement is moot - as no-one can challenge him for that position!
But that’s always going to be the case, as it always has been. We’re talking about a scenario where the field is engineered to exclude players from competing - who would have a genuine chance of winning.
No it hasn't! The players have chosen a route that potentially excludes them from competing in certain events. It was the players choice!
Your 'logic' is the equivalent to claiming that getting a ticket for doing 70 in a 40mph area is 'preventing me getting to work on time' when the real reason is choosing to dally at home prior to leaving for work!
And FWIW, unless the eligibility criteria change, quite a few will still be eligible for quite a while - because of previous Major wins!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

Just heard a great analogy on the Fire Drill Podcast re the PGAs increase in purses announcement yesterday.

"So far the PGA tour have been bringing a knife to a gun fight, at least now they are bringing a pistol while Liv has sub machine guns but at least they are now firing back.
The worry for Jay Monahan is that Liv could bring in the heavy artillery at anytime."

RRidges

Visit site
I’d certainly put Korn Ferry above DP, it seems all the breakout players come from the Korn Ferry tour these days.
I'd agree. My thought on the reason for that is that it's a development/feeder tour for The PGA Tour, as opposed to DPWT being, for many, the pinnacle of their aspirations, whether that be proximity to home or simply excellent reward without the cut-throat environment of US based tours.

D

Deleted member 15344

The winner of The Open is Champion Golfer, would it not be a hollow title knowing there are golfers out there that could have potentially challenged for that position?

There is nothing stopping them going through qualifying ?‍♂️

RRidges

Visit site
Only if the world ranking points system is sorted.
The big problem with LIV will be the 3 round format in my opinion, if it was just a normal 4 day tournament I don’t think it would be such an issue (forgetting the team element, which is secondary)
It's way more than that!
Check out the chart posted a few pages back. There are about 8 showstoppers. 54 holes is only 1 of them - and could easily be rectified, though LIV=54, I suspect it will linger! They've already 54 players will go though - to 48.

RRidges

Visit site
People will always watch it, but they won’t be winning it competing against all the best players in the world.
Brooks, BDC, DJ and Reed are still world class and are still capable of winning Majors.
So to some people, there would be that wee * next to it.
In my opinion, I think the players would rather they were playing as well, then there’s no ambiguity about the result.
I suggest you check out those players performances in recent Majors! Brooks's for example was MC; 55; T55; MC. Dustin performed ok/well (T6 at The Open), if not great though - 1 MC.
Could LIV's format be making them lose their drive?

D

Deleted member 1147

Any Pro, and amateurs with low enough handicaps, can qualify for the 2 major opens.
So the LIV boys are perfectly entitled to attempt to qualify.
Hell, if they want to start at Kedleston I’ll even caddy for one of them.

Swango1980

Visit site
I suggest you check out those players performances in recent Majors! Brooks's for example was MC; 55; T55; MC. Dustin performed ok/well (T6 at The Open), if not great though - 1 MC.
Could LIV's format be making them lose their drive?
I suggested that about 100 pages ago. However, pro LIV posters ridiculed that suggestion, simply by saying that they will always go out to win.

However, with more time off, not worrying about keeping their card or staying high up the world rankings, competing against lesser players, etc there seem to be many reasons for them to lose their drive, or their oomph, or however else you could phrase it. They say elite sport is bout marginal gains, and there seem to be a whole host of reasons that LIV could make players lose focus in certain areas of their golfing life, and place more attention on things outside of golf. The money gives them that luxury.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They have no worries. They know the majors will invite them, world ranking points or no.
The only inviting that goes on in Majors is done by the Masters (and that's mostly a ceremonial thing apart from a few amateurs)...nobody gets invited to the others - they are either exempt or have to qualify.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
This Tiger & Rory stadium golf thing is all a bit cringe imo.
If LIV golf hadn’t come along & Tiger tried this he’d be getting slated for it.
Seems he’s got a few more fans now.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The only inviting that goes on in Majors is done by the Masters (and that's mostly a ceremonial thing apart from a few amateurs)...nobody gets invited to the others - they are either exempt or have to qualify.
Potato, potato. The other majors will exempt them to their tournaments, the master will invite them. Bottom line is, they'll be there.