LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Money, it's already been stated. The PGA tour audience won't watch live golf in those areas because they have no vested interest - as I keep saying, it's a golf for America, by America.

LIV isn't and is already generating significant interest in countries where the PGA overlook.

I hardly think Thailand will feel like having Bryson, DJ, Phil, Brooks etc, playing in their country, is "stomping all over their tours" either, do you?
If LIV have any success worldwide, with global audiences, what would stop the PGA Tour following suit?

Do you think they are so wedded to US soil, that they would not dare play several events globally. Even if it appeared they'd capture a whole host of new fans and global sponsors?

Maybe they felt there was no requirement before. But, if they are being pushed by LIV, I am sure the PGA Tour will react. If you are saying playing golf globally is truly a good thing for the success of a tour, then I see no reason why the PGA Tour would not be able to persue this idea.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If LIV have any success worldwide, with global audiences, what would stop the PGA Tour following suit?

Do you think they are so wedded to US soil, that they would not dare play several events globally. Even if it appeared they'd capture a whole host of new fans and global sponsors?

Maybe they felt there was no requirement before. But, if they are being pushed by LIV, I am sure the PGA Tour will react. If you are saying playing golf globally is truly a good thing for the success of a tour, then I see no reason why the PGA Tour would not be able to persue this idea.

And what will they sack off to go global? Did you see the post tournament analysis after the USPGA, Chamblee and McGinley discussing taking the tournament across the planet - because The PGA is a global organistion right?

"Maybe they could take it overseas once every 7 years or so" !!! Don't bother lads, seriously, total disrespect for the PGA members, and golfers all across the world.

The LIV can go to say seventeen or eighteen rounds, without having to sacrifice anything on their calendar. All the PGA can do is try and squeeze in a few events in the winter months, when their "superstars" wouldn't want to play, becuase that's when they take a break from the game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Money, it's already been stated. The PGA tour audience won't watch live golf in those areas because they have no vested interest - as I keep saying, it's a golf for America, by America.

LIV isn't and is already generating significant interest in countries where the PGA overlook.

I hardly think Thailand will feel like having Bryson, DJ, Phil, Brooks etc, playing in their country, is "stomping all over their tours" either, do you?
That makes little/no sense. The PGA LatinoAmerica Tour, while including the word 'America' disproves that, as does The PGA Tour China, suspension because of Covid notwithstanding!

And while not denying your statement about 'significant interest...', I'd be interested to see actual evidence of it - published or otherwise. Do you have insider contacts/knowledge? I've certainly seen 'Asian offices to follow' in some of their documentation

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...All the PGA can do is try and squeeze in a few events in the winter months, when their "superstars" wouldn't want to play, becuase that's when they take a break from the game.
Or they could develop a (feeder?) tour in those areas - as seems to be the case in Latin/South America (and China?).
If LIV are simply going to send in their 'team' of 'stars' for an over-compensated exhibition, that's hardly going to grow the game in those areas and will just be a 'circus'!

D

Deleted member 21445

Sounds like the LPGA are ? themselves.
Announcing big purse increases
Is it a worry that LIV might try the same with the womens game?

If Liv do the same thing for the women's game it will be a total game changer for women professinal players.

The LET tour is really struggling these days with very few tournaments with small purses available.

The worry is would the LPGA or LET survive at all if Liv launched a lucrative women's tour??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As someone who lived, and had family 'discussions', through the Rugby/Apartheid/'81 Springbok tour/'85 Tour cancellation/86 Cavalier Tour controversy in NZ, I can understand Elder's concern! I actually believe that isolation contributed to the change of attitude in SE, but it took tremendous courage from the politicians involved (primarily FW DeKlerk) to admit it and actually make the changes required.
That prejudice almost certainly still exists, perhaps also/even in reverse in SA these days! And Augusta/The Masters certainly isn't a model of progressive attitudes.
But huge amounts of cash is just another tool in the 'diplomatic' toolbox to legitimise or promote otherwise unsavoury governments/methods of governing. How individual sportsmen/women decide to react to such offers is up to them and their particular circumstances.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If Liv do the same thing for the women's game it will be a total game changer for women professinal players.

The LET tour is really struggling these days with very few tournaments with small purses available.

The worry is would the LPGA or LET survive at all if Liv launched a lucrative women's tour??
It might actually 'save' or be beneficial to the LPGA. I'm not sure whether would actually do it - for a couple of reasons - but it would certainly inject a beneficial amount of funding into the Ladies game!

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It would have seemed and easier and less confrontational tour to crack, and bring ladies golf big money and a world platform.
But women in short skirts playing a sport is not an ideal affinity for Saudi Arabia maybe.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This is the connection between Performance 54 - they are 54 hole events, and the name of the series LIV - 54 in Roman numerals.

You've probably all seen that Rick Shiels company is part owned by performance 54, plus a few other influencers.
Somehow stumbled from this old post - not sure how, but....
Does it strike you as a bit peculiar that, while you emphasise the '54' link(s), Performance54 has actually been around and associated with Golf PR, marketing etc since 2015 - way before LIV was launched. And Matthew Selby, one of its officers, is also an officer of Rick Shiels's company - and of 'Performance54 Group' that appears to be the 'real' LIV one - as there are 3 Saudi Arabians (and another Performance54 officer) noted as officers. All seems to be an amazing coincidence to MS's 2015 company with '54' in the name!

Last edited:

AussieKB

Visit site
To put another perspective on this I remember when Tennis was Amateur and the Pro's were banned from all Majors and most other events, then in 1968 after so many turned Professional they finally relented and made the Majors Open to all, seems like it turned out OK.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Watching Mark Roe and co slagging off the greed of the players transferring i couldn,t help thinking if they were still in contention would they not go for it? Which is worse greed or envy?

Element of self interest perhaps, if the PGA / DP implode those commentators may be out of a job.

D

Deleted member 21445

Rickie Fowler
Bubba Watson
Jason Kokrak

Heavily tipped to be the 3 announcements to the Portland Liv field this week.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
No great loss to the PGA Tour, in my opinion. Fowler is done, Watson not far behind and none of us would recognise Kokrak if he walked up to us and said hello.

Meanwhile the leaderboard at the Travelers is packed full of household names?

Of course they are a loss to THE PGA Tour, they might not challenge anymore, but between all the players that have left, they are well known to millions and millions of golf fans across the world. They have taken that interest and spread it to the new tour. It's going to be devastating long term to the PGA Tour.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Meanwhile the leaderboard at the Travelers is packed full of household names?

Of course they are a loss to THE PGA Tour, they might not challenge anymore, but between all the players that have left, they are well known to millions and millions of golf fans across the world. They have taken that interest and spread it to the new tour. It's going to be devastating long term to the PGA Tour.

"They may not challenge anymore". That is kinda important, though, dontcha think? Fowler, Watson and Kokrak will not add any viewers to the LIV Tour events. Devastating? Laughable.