LIV Golf

sunshine

Visit site
I must admit I do find it strange that people are questioning the "charity" status of the PGA Tour. I'm not an expert in this, but the organisation clearly is not classed as a charity (thanks Ethan for sharing tax status), it is simply an organisation that distributes all its income to its members, so it doesn't make a profit to be taxed, but the members are taxed on that distributed income.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I must admit I do find it strange that people are questioning the "charity" status of the PGA Tour. I'm not an expert in this, but the organisation clearly is not classed as a charity (thanks Ethan for sharing tax status), it is simply an organisation that distributes all its income to its members, so it doesn't make a profit to be taxed, but the members are taxed on that distributed income.

Can you explain where the 1.2 billion dollars has come from then?

Net assets.png

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
They dont, no. They have an obligation to make money for their member professional golfers.
We will have to disagree here, I’m in the belief that in any business you lead from the top and you do what you can to make sure the business keeps on thriving from development of youth, to working with golf clubs / schools, this will hopefully ensure good quality coming through and making the business more attractive to sponsors etc.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Well, there was wonder what the DP World Tour would do. Some hoped that they would allow LIV players to play in the DP events, improve the quality of field.

However, they have gone the other way, and look to categorically align themselves with the PGA Tour.

Golfing politics gets more interesting.
I read it as they can play in the DP events, but not the co-sanctioned events and end of year points qualifying things. So likely the lower value events.
The fine is interesting, on the one hand probably not a lot to most of the liv gang. But will they pay up or resign?
For the Europeans wonder if Ryder Cup is potentially back on for them if fine paid?

Note a few people asking if the Scottish Open is really an open now ? (I know even Opens have rules)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Apparently LIV have picked up all the fines, costs etc for the DP World players affected today.

They miss 3 events, but obviously have The Open (if qualified) and Portland to look forward to.

Doubt any of them are that arsed now about todays announcement.

It also means that we could well see some of the LIV players competing in the remaining DP WT or Asian Tour events to get the OWGR points thay may want for major qualification.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Apparently LIV have picked up all the fines, costs etc for the DP World players affected today.

They miss 3 events, but obviously have The Open (if qualified) and Portland to look forward to.

Doubt any of them are that arsed now about todays announcement.

Of course they aren’t - they are all being given vast amounts of money ?‍♂️

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Leaving the Saudi aspect out of this I can honestly say the LIV series does nothing for me. I was quite happy as a golf fan with the product that was presented. I enjoy the big tournaments outside of the majors. I like the smaller events, mainly the early season tournaments that give new players a chance to make a name for themselves or get a breakthrough win.
The LIV series to me doesnt seem to grow the game at all. Quite the opposite in fact. It currently has some complete no names in the field but that isn't their aim. They want the 50 most popular players playing. Not even the best 50 or phil wouldn't be anywhere near it. Even at that, its then a closed shop. How can anyone strive to qualify to play in it. There is no competition. Watching the same 50 guys play over and over doesnt excite me one bit.
The 3 round shot gun start thing too doesnt do it for me. I have no desire to see a mutiscreen putt out to see who wins. It might be cool once or twice. I enjoy watching a tournament come to its conclusion. I dont want my attention being dragged in multiple differnt directions in a short space of time.
Constantly going on about a team thing for 3 days is unbelievably tiring. I've watched guys miss half million pound putts for years. I literally couldn't care about how 4 players are going to spit 750,000 dollars. To keep going on about it for 3 days straight is mind boggling. Even if it was for 10 million I wouldn't care one bit.

As a golf fan, I am struggling to see why anyone bar the player$ would be happy to see the game they love getting torn apart at a professional level.

This sums up my opinion of LIV perfectly. No more words required.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

View attachment 43196
Read the 2nd sentence of the description!
As for the legitimacy of the 'Retained Earnings', that falls within the rules of NPOs. NPO's aren't actually allowed to distribute 'profits' to 'individuals' (there's a few different categories involved).
Of course, it would be daft to distribute all net earnings every year. The 5.3% increase in Retained Assets seems reasonable. Of course, they could reduce that and help the IRS at the same time, by paying Monahan more! ;)

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My take on it all, for what it’s worth

The DP Tour is a lesser tour than the PGA tour, certain events are Co sanctioned, but the PGA probably have a bigger say.

The PGA tour is far from perfect, as is the DP

LIV have launched a hostile attempt to poach the most popular players to form a breakaway tour with a slightly different format. Offering huge sums of dosh to attract these players.

LIV has limitations on number of players at each event, they claim to want to grow the game, but I have yet to see how golf at grass roots level will benefit.

The 1 tournament so far produced fairly mediocre golf

The PGA has launched a robust campaign to defend itself and to stop players defecting, you cannot blame them for this, what the chief exec of the PGA earns is not part of the argument.

LIV players have been banned from PGA and Co sanctioned events inc the Scottish Open.

The DP have banned LIV players £100000 each and banned them from 3 events.

Where the Ryder Cup / Ranking points stand in all of this, Lord knows

Have I missed anything?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My take on it all, for what it’s worth

The DP Tour is a lesser tour than the PGA tour, certain events are Co sanctioned, but the PGA probably have a bigger say.

The PGA tour is far from perfect, as is the DP

LIV have launched a hostile attempt to poach the most popular players to form a breakaway tour with a slightly different format. Offering huge sums of dosh to attract these players.

LIV has limitations on number of players at each event, they claim to want to grow the game, but I have yet to see how golf at grass roots level will benefit.

The 1 tournament so far produced fairly mediocre golf

The PGA has launched a robust campaign to defend itself and to stop players defecting, you cannot blame them for this, what the chief exec of the PGA earns is not part of the argument.

LIV players have been banned from PGA and Co sanctioned events inc the Scottish Open.

The DP have banned LIV players £100000 each and banned them from 3 events.

Where the Ryder Cup / Ranking points stand in all of this, Lord knows

Have I missed anything?
All the interesting bits like 'Why?' 'Who?', 'How much?', 'How will this affect Golf?'

D

Deleted member 1147

I see even Charles Coody’s grandson was approached, but turned down LIV.

sunshine

Visit site

View attachment 43196

I assume you are referring to the closing net assets position? Well I’m not the CFO of the PGA Tour so I don’t have a detailed breakdown and I’m not going to search their financial statements.

However, receipts and payments fall due at different times of the year, so it may have received income from sponsors and TV companies but not yet paid suppliers or distributed the funds to the members.

A bit like a golf club that collects annual subscriptions at the start of the year and then spends the cash over 12 months. The balance sheet at year end looks really healthy because it has a load of advance subs.

D

Deleted member 1147

I assume you are referring to the closing net assets position? Well I’m not the CFO of the PGA Tour so I don’t have a detailed breakdown and I’m not going to search their financial statements.

However, receipts and payments fall due at different times of the year, so it may have received income from sponsors and TV companies but not yet paid suppliers or distributed the funds to the members.

A bit like a golf club that collects annual subscriptions at the start of the year and then spends the cash over 12 months. The balance sheet at year end looks really healthy because it has a load of advance subs.
balance sheet shows position, the Income statement shows performance.

But the position is only on that specific day. It can change significantly the next day.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can you explain where the 1.2 billion dollars has come from then
I guess it could be the accumulated funds from the previous years, if you look carefully you’ll see that on line 4 it says “Net assets or fund balances at beginning of year” and this 1.15b comprises the bulk of the 1.2b. Of the income figure, 95% has been paid out as expenses, leaving less than 5% to be retained and carried over to reserves. It would be foolish not to do so, thereby creating over time a healthy balance to be used in emergencies, unforeseen situations, etc.

Possibly, although it depends on the accounting method. A pure cash transactions basis would show a healthy situation and balance, but an accruals basis would show a healthy bank figure but also a liability for ‘prepayments’ which pertain to the upcoming year and therefore a lower nett balance.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Buying the game.....

About a month ago, Coody, who was then wrapping up his senior year at the University of Texas, turned down what he and his father Kyle described as a “multi-million-dollar” offer from the Saudi-financed LIV Golf Series. The deal would have made Pierceson, who earned $31,125 in his first two KFT starts, an instant millionaire, with a chance to get even richer in LIV’s huge-purse, no-cut events.

But Coody, 22, who earned his Korn Ferry membership by finishing first in the 2022 PGA University Series, said that while signing with LIV would have given him financial security, it also would have taken something away: his lifelong dream of playing on the PGA Tour.

“I might be sitting on my couch with millions in my bank account watching my friends play on the PGA Tour, and that would have been devastating,” Coody said.

https://golf.com/news/ex-college-star-reveals-liv-golf-recruitment/