LIV Golf

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would 4 balls make it a lot longer? Probably adding about another 65 to 75 shots in each group. Maybe longer than they want. And they'd have even more golf to try and cram in to show the viewers, or just decide to ignore more golfers entirely.

I read on the BBC Sport website that it took 4 hours 45 minutes for them to get round as three balls yesterday. I can only imagine that if you made it four balls you'd quite easily be pushing six hours to get round.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have nothing to change. It just a whose has the biggest money gun shootout. And we know its the Saudis.
PGA tried the 'obscene money' and immorality of taking Saudi money (which is just American money paid for oil anyway) lines, but the hypocrisy of both arguments was shot through.
So its about money pure and simple, and they havent the fire power.

Money is one of the reasons but think it isn't just that for the players. Yes more money is great but on Liv they have more freedom of choice (opposed to a tour that bans) the image right issue with the PGA.. caddies are looked after

That's all in the PGAs hands to change

The event format is good why couldn't the PGA do this? Why does every single event have to be 72 holes .. could have a few different

Super League in football got uefa to take note

PGA laughed it off arrogantly

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read on the BBC Sport website that it took 4 hours 45 minutes for them to get round as three balls yesterday. I can only imagine that if you made it four balls you'd quite easily be pushing six hours to get round.

Difference is the entire event was 4 hours 45 even with Kevin Na

PGA event time is what? 8 on TV?

Swango1980

Visit site
Difference is the entire event was 4 hours 45 even with Kevin Na

PGA event time is what? 8 on TV?
It is long. However, for many fans, I don't think golf is a sport they feel they need to watch start to finish. They can dip in and out. If you are about early in day watch some PGA then, or later in day watch it then. Thursday and Friday high profile players spread throughout field, so usually decent golf to watch. Saturday and Sunday I reckon most just watch it as the leading few groups start to go out.

Whether a shot gun start or not, it takes same length of time for golfers to play a round of golf. So no real difference in viewing time for most people, it is just that a shotgun start will have all the golfers with rubbish scores still out on the course as the leader finishes their round.

So, I think shotgun start offers less viewing flexibility. I've no choice but to be available to watch it in the 4.5 hour window they play today. On PGA Tour, I could watch the early session, late session or somewhere in between.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It is long. However, for many fans, I don't think golf is a sport they feel they need to watch start to finish. They can dip in and out. If you are about early in day watch some then, or later in day watch it then. Thursday and Friday high profile players spread throughout field, so usually decent golf to watch. Saturday and Sunday I reckon most just watch it as the leading few groups start to go out.

Whether a shot gun start or not, it takes same length of time for golfers to play a round of golf. So no real difference in viewing time for most people, it is just that a shotgun start will have all the golfers with rubbish scores still out on the course as the leader finishes their round.

So, I think shotgun start offers less viewing flexibility. I've no choice but to be available to watch it in the 4.5 hour window they play today. On PGA Tour, I could watch the early session, late session or somewhere in between.

Have you looked at the LIV Golf YouTube page, there's a rapidly increasing content of videos on there, highlights, behind the scenes, player interviews. I appreciate your point about only having a 4.5 hour window to view, but, there is plenty to go back and watch at a later date, if you wanted to.

D

Deleted member 21445

A couple of friends have gone down to watch for a day.

Said its a great fan experience and atmosphere with loads of other entertainment as well as the golf to watch. They are staying tonight for the music concert.

I have watched both days and I have to say I like the format.
Easy to criticise anything new and innovative, they said the Premier League wouldn't work having extra entertainment, a bit of perzass, kick offs in the evening and Monday night football when it 1st started.

Imagine the LivGolf format with all the best players in the world playing ???

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Said its a great fan experience and atmosphere with loads of other entertainment as well as the golf to watch. They are staying tonight for the music concert.

Easy to criticise anything new and innovative, they said the Premier League wouldn't work having extra entertainment, a bit of perzass, kick offs in the evening and Monday night football when it 1st started.

Won't be long at this rate

They said year one was a beta year and they didn't need big names they just needed to test how it went

They had 15 of top 100 at event 1

Already more joining for event 2

That's huge

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Finding it pretty uninspiring so far, don’t know why, maybe because I don’t normally watch tour events start to finish? The faux excitement perhaps? Not sure. Maybe tomorrow will be different.

And I never thought I’d say this, but I miss Paul McGinley!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Caught bits of it poolside and have to say I really enjoyed it, much more than normal coverage despite the lack of depth in the field.

1) It’s great that you can watch a complete comp in around 5hr and not catch up on highlights before the 6 hour live coverage starts.

2) it keeps it interesting with the live shot leader board update (does remind me a bit of the movie death race)

3) it will highlight slow play with shotgun starts!

One thing I did find funny was the heavy hitters who cost big money are not in the running as expected.

Only downside is I find the team side a little pointless. As other have said the teams change per event so impossible to follow a team although I thing it does relate to some club comps…. Maybe I am a fan after all.

Right off to get my morals checked out, need to make sure I’m clear ready for tomorrows stream.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is interesting how people have differing views who have gone there - two groups I know have gone , one lot were bored stiff , the other had a good time , the second group where with a member and had a few drinks ?

I can’t recall many saying the Premier League wouldn’t work - it was essential not much different than the previous version just with bigger sponsorship

it’s day two and I suspect it’s going to be very hard to judge it’s success now - BDC is the first interesting addition and he is very much a marmite character on the tour

As others have said the ET haven’t said much right now and I’m wondering if they are working to join forces with the LiV tour - now that would be a game changer but where would the events be hosted.

Saw a report comparing the situation to Boxing and the multiple different “belts” and how it’s diluted the sport - I still see the comparison with Kerry Packer but with a lot more money to back it up to keep it going a bit more

There are some key hurdles ahead - the majors , ranking points and Ryder Cup points

Will it ever settle down to having 3 tours working together - don’t think that will happen with one tour offering so much money just to play

The one thing is surely for the money they are paying some players they will need to see the players who are being paid a lot step up and perform- won’t do them any favours if unknowns are winning

Swango1980

Visit site
I find it interesting when big names join up to LIV, and you get so many people slagging them off and dismissing their appeal. DJ is a probable has been, Bryson is uninteresting and a knob, etc. Basically, trying to use any excuse as to why it isn't such a big deal.

However, I've just looked at the world rankings. Outside of Tiger Woods, if any single US player joined LIV then I can imagine the same old excuses. Scottie Scheffler, Cantlay, Thomas, etc. I can see the same old arguments. That player is boring, this one is a knob, etc. In this forum anyway, US fans may have different opinions. Realistically, I can only really see 2 players other than Woods who may be universally agreed to be big signings for LIV, McIlroy and Rahm. Probably largely to do with the fact we are European.

So, it seems like some of us are allowing our personal opinion on a player to get in the way of making an objective opinion on how big a signing any given player is for LIV.

Some may hate Bryson, but it is huge for LIV and a massive blow for PGA. Same as DJ. And, despite being at end of their careers, the likes of Phil, Westwood, Poulter, Garcia, Louis, etc were also big for LIV, simply because they are globally well recognised in golf.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
DP World Tour, could and should be talking to LIV, and the other tours, and saying, "we're the 2nd biggest tour in the world, and this is our opportunity to be number one"
Amalgamate the top events from across the continents to provide a true world tour, and run alongside the LIV series. Other tours to support with opportunities to qualify for the main tour and LIV series.
Global sponsorsip opportunities for a global product, instead of an American tour, for American backers, and American golf fans.
It's a huge opportunity.

D

Deleted member 1147

Well I’ve been on the course all afternoon…anyone creamed themselves to death over the latest LIV news?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bryson now confirmed.

That's huge, a lot of the new "younger" golfers I play with all aspire to BDC, he's the main man for them.
I was thinking of the biggest golfing moments for me over the last couple of years, Tiger winning the Masters after that I'm struggling but I clearly remember BDC with his drive at the Arnold Palmer :eek:

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I find it interesting when big names join up to LIV, and you get so many people slagging them off and dismissing their appeal. DJ is a probable has been, Bryson is uninteresting and a knob, etc. Basically, trying to use any excuse as to why it isn't such a big deal.

However, I've just looked at the world rankings. Outside of Tiger Woods, if any single US player joined LIV then I can imagine the same old excuses. Scottie Scheffler, Cantlay, Thomas, etc. I can see the same old arguments. That player is boring, this one is a knob, etc. In this forum anyway, US fans may have different opinions. Realistically, I can only really see 2 players other than Woods who may be universally agreed to be big signings for LIV, McIlroy and Rahm. Probably largely to do with the fact we are European.

So, it seems like some of us are allowing our personal opinion on a player to get in the way of making an objective opinion on how big a signing any given player is for LIV.

Some may hate Bryson, but it is huge for LIV and a massive blow for PGA. Same as DJ. And, despite being at end of their careers, the likes of Phil, Westwood, Poulter, Garcia, Louis, etc were also big for LIV, simply because they are globally well recognised in golf.

I think if Rory Rahm JT Spieth Scheffler Hovland Smith or Morikawa jumped ship then it’d be catastrophic they’re the golden children of the pga tour currently

Bryson has the fitness question mark over him also see Brooks if they went after him

2 year ago they’re the main men but there’s big question marks

make no mistake a fit Bryson is a huge pull I’m sure the wrists will heal and he’s a headliner up there only with Rory and Tiger when he’s firing

Also him and Reed appear to be nightmares to deal with if the smear stories are true

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's huge, a lot of the new "younger" golfers I play with all aspire to BDC, he's the main man for them.
I was thinking of the biggest golfing moments for me over the last couple of years, Tiger winning the Masters after that I'm struggling but I clearly remember BDC with his drive at the Arnold Palmer :eek:

This is the thing everyone looks at it from the tried and tested view on golf

Bryson like Liv appeal to different people