LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Actually although these guys are big names the majority have struggled for a few years. There's been a changing of the guard in the last few years with the likes of Morikawa, Thomas, Scheffler, Hovland etc to the fore. I wonder if the likes of Watson and Reid etc were challenging regularly in the majors and big tournaments they'd join. Liv have been very clever in who they've targeted because they've only really pulled 2 big names, both of which have a love hate relationship with the tour, but they've given the impression of a big name exodus. The other names are all has beens
That was always going to be the case though. The most in form, biggest players on the PGA Tour were never going to be the first ones to be attracted to LIV. They would be taking the biggest risk, with the most to lose if LIV ends up falling flat. Therefore, LIV was always going to attract older fading players, big reputations but not much steam to last much longer on the PGA. And then fill the other slots up with golfers at the other end of the scale, trying to make money they could never dream off on PGA (they may even struggle to make a cut).

It gets interesting when more and more high profile players get attracted across, who do still have some longevity on the PGA. DJ was the first to make things really interesting, he could easily have another 10 years on the PGA. Bryson is likely in the prime of his career, so he is yet a bigger draw. In fact, before his injury, he was most likely one of the most talked about players going into any big tournament, certainly if Tiger wasn't playing.

So, the plot thickens. What happens next. Who will be the next PGA Pro to blink? Are the PGA going to have to backtrack on bans, or risk permanently diluting their brand (either way, they are in a tricky position). Will the Majors allow all players to compete? Will DP World Tour allow the banned players to compete on their tour?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pat Perez allegedly signed for $10m.

That's nearly a third of his lifetime PGA Tour earnings.

What a surprise: sports professionals looking to maximise their income.

Good luck to them; every other profession does the same.

I can't imagine Pat Perez is one of the 48 golfers they want involved in the LIV series if it really takes off. He needs to be making his money over the first few events as otherwise he could've torpedoed his PGA career for $10 million and get dropped from the LIV after a few tournaments if some bigger names want in.

Springveldt

Visit site
I can't imagine Pat Perez is one of the 48 golfers they want involved in the LIV series if it really takes off. He needs to be making his money over the first few events as otherwise he could've torpedoed his PGA career for $10 million and get dropped from the LIV after a few tournaments if some bigger names want in.
Does it really matter though? They have just handed him $10M without even playing. He plays a few events this year, it could be $15M by the end of the year. That's half his life earnings right there. How much more was he going to earn? How many years on the Champions Tour for that?

He's basically set himself up for retirement within a couple of years.

edit: Also, he's a brilliant interview. I hope some of the podcasts get him back on soon.

Swango1980

Visit site
Perez is 46 though, so probably worth the gamble for him at this stage in his career. Probably not even a gamble. Been a pro for about 25 years and made just shy of $29 million. Then gets $10 million at the age of 46, and it is probably unlikely he'd earn that in the rest of his PGA Tour career or even Champions Tour (not sure how Champions Tour status is impacted by LIV?). Add to that $10 million any prize winnings he gets on LIV. Plays well, in a much weaker field than normal, he could rake in millions.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perez is 46 though, so probably worth the gamble for him at this stage in his career. Probably not even a gamble. Been a pro for about 25 years and made just shy of $29 million. Then gets $10 million at the age of 46, and it is probably unlikely he'd earn that in the rest of his PGA Tour career or even Champions Tour (not sure how Champions Tour status is impacted by LIV?). Add to that $10 million any prize winnings he gets on LIV. Plays well, in a much weaker field than normal, he could rake in millions.

To be honest I knew nothing about him or how old he was. For someone in his position it's a no-brainer to take the money. But from my point of view he's the sort of player that is the reason that I've got no interest in watching it. I want to watch the best players compete if I'm going to sit down at home and watch a sport. Watching a tournament where most of the field is made up of players outside the top 100 just doesn't interest me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest I knew nothing about him or how old he was. For someone in his position it's a no-brainer to take the money. But from my point of view he's the sort of player that is the reason that I've got no interest in watching it. I want to watch the best players compete if I'm going to sit down at home and watch a sport. Watching a tournament where most of the field is made up of players outside the top 100 just doesn't interest me.

Give it a few months more top players will be over

Now take the South Africans it's been raised that they normally pack a bag and don't go home for months. Now they can make more money, play 8 events and see their families. Can see why they jumped

More players will see the benefits of the freedom of choice

The PGA has to change or they will lose this battle. Maybe giving players their image rights .. they Own every shot on YouTube

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
68k watching YT at the minute. Not sure who's interested but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Schwartzel took home $1.44m when he won at Augusta, looking at $4.75m if he wins in St Albans tomorrow.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Easily solved. Up the field by 6 with two more 3 balls

If it gets bigger you can have a morning and afternoon event .. 48 players in each then swap them day 2 ..

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Easily solved. Up the field by 6 with two more 3 balls

If it gets bigger you can have a morning and afternoon event .. 48 players in each then swap them day 2 ..

Don't forget the team element. They have a dozen teams of four. If they increase the field it would need to be by a multiple of four and they'd need to create new teams. I wouldn't expect them to do that mid-season.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't forget the team element. They have a dozen teams of four. If they increase the field it would need to be by a multiple of four and they'd need to create new teams. I wouldn't expect them to do that mid-season.

Sorry , they could up to 64 and have 4 balls instead of 3.. still over 16 holes ..

Would create a lot more teams but could easily be next year

Go to 60 players and every team could pick one extra player

Swango1980

Visit site

Who could forget the team element, that is the main attraction. Although I was hoping they'd all wear a full team outfit :)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Bryson now confirmed.

Thats a big one. If a couple more of the meaningful golfers jump, then hopefully they all do lock stock. But really if more than one or two of the world top 20 left behind, then it would be disastrous. I think Rory can go. We know the change of heart on the Olympiad and the Ryder, so citing everyone is going and he wants to compete with the best, is an easy sell. It might prompt Tiger to call it a day, as likely to only play the majors now anyway.
The crunch question is whether LIV would ditch the garbage 'innovations' if they had the bulk of the players. PGA Tour could continue as the new second division, and the World Tour could retain its place as bringing golf to a course near you with third rate golfers for national opens and the likes.

Swango1980

Visit site
Sorry , they could up to 64 and have 4 balls instead of 3.. still over 16 holes ..

Would create a lot more teams but could easily be next year

Go to 60 players and every team could pick one extra player
Would 4 balls make it a lot longer? Probably adding about another 65 to 75 shots in each group. Maybe longer than they want. And they'd have even more golf to try and cram in to show the viewers, or just decide to ignore more golfers entirely.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would 4 balls make it a lot longer? Probably adding about another 65 to 75 shots in each group. Maybe longer than they want. And they'd have even more golf to try and cram in to show the viewers, or just decide to ignore more golfers entirely.

I think they will just have reserve players tbh

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The PGA has to change or they will lose this battle.
They have nothing to change. It just a whose has the biggest money gun shootout. And we know its the Saudis.
PGA tried the 'obscene money' and immorality of taking Saudi money (which is just American money paid for oil anyway) lines, but the hypocrisy of both arguments was shot through.
So its about money pure and simple, and they havent the fire power.