LIV Golf

Barking_Mad

Visit site
To me it's like 20/20 cricket. It's all a bit meaningless. Three rounds is different but I'm not sure how you can expect ranking points when there's 18 holes less to play. It's apples and oranges.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think if Rory Rahm JT Spieth Scheffler Hovland Smith or Morikawa jumped ship then it’d be catastrophic they’re the golden children of the pga tour currently

If that group jumped, then the PGA Tour as it is is over. But come become a nice feeder world tour for bigger fields and second and third rankers, looking to graduate to LIV. How is LIV going to handle promotions, relagations ? But an LIV win will have little value as a sporting achievement. The Unified PGA DP US World Tour wins will be harder won.

4LEX

Visit site
Gave it a watch today and really dire stuff. So many of the field over par, lacking quality and just a terrible advert for golf. If the future of golf is a load of has beens hacking it around an average golf course, watched by nobody but those on freebies and 60k on YouTube the game is finished.

Golf isn't a team sport apart from once every two years. Just look at the names of these teams....cringeworthy. A lot of players have tarnished their reputatation forever this week, especially G-Mac, Poulter and Westwood.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gave it a watch today and really dire stuff. So many of the field over par, lacking quality and just a terrible advert for golf. If the future of golf is a load of has beens hacking it around an average golf course, watched by nobody but those on freebies and 60k on YouTube the game is finished.

Golf isn't a team sport apart from once every two years. Just look at the names of these teams....cringeworthy. A lot of players have tarnished their reputatation forever this week, especially G-Mac, Poulter and Westwood.

But people moan about golf being too early and super low scores? So when the players are being beaten up by the course it's borin?

Swango1980

Visit site

Regarding team names, it is a bit like when I need to pick a fantasy football team name. I get round to creating a team and it suddenly gives me an option to pick a name. I panic, and with no real thought come up with something garbage, cos I can't be arsed thinking about it. Something like LoadsOfGoals Utd.

Point is, I reckon exactly the same effort went into LIV team names. Probably appointed team captains and then said "by the way, what is your team name". Given that their only thoughts had been about all the money they get and dealing with the fallout with PGA and media, this question was completely unexpected so they just said the first thing that came into their head.

Swango1980

Visit site
But people moan about golf being too early and super low scores? So when the players are being beaten up by the course it's borin?
I'm not overly convinced they were being beaten up by the course. They just aren't as good. If the worlds top 48 players were all playing, I'm sure we'd have seem lots of good scores. Probably wouldn't even be talking about any of the players over par at this stage, apart from if they were fighting to make the cut.

D

Deleted member 15344

They aren’t being beaten up by the course - it’s not that tough there , the field isn’t a strong top of the tree field

If it was the current top 40 in the world then 99% would be significantly under par

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not overly convinced they were being beaten up by the course. They just aren't as good. If the worlds top 48 players were all playing, I'm sure we'd have seem lots of good scores. Probably wouldn't even be talking about any of the players over par at this stage, apart from if they were fighting to make the cut.
It was tough out there - a strong wind and they reduced par by 2. The rough was penal so easy to drop shots.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Aren't some of the big names still over par? It's set up tough.. I mean more rough than the average pga event and tighter

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

yeah they need to cut the field halfway through to avoid watching the out of form hack it about

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Think you are missing the point here - the model is the IPL where companies / wealthy individuals will sponsor / own teams and buy their players in a draft system. These franchises will operate year to year with an individual and team / league element.