LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Aren't some of the big names still over par? It's set up tough.. I mean more rough than the average pga event and tighter
Yeah, big names. But big names can still play poorly, even World Number 1's. However, it you had a significant amount of the best in the world there, then although some would play bad, you'd expect quite a few to play well. So, for example, you may have Schwartzel mixed in at the top of the leaderboard with Rahm, Thomas, Cantlay, Morikawa, McIlroy etc. Maybe Spieth, Scheffler, Lowry have a bad day or 2. But it doesn't matter as our focus is on the cream rising to the top.

But, as we don't have all those players, more focus is placed on those that we'd normally consider to be under performing in a regular tournament

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, big names. But big names can still play poorly, even World Number 1's. However, it you had a significant amount of the best in the world there, then although some would play bad, you'd expect quite a few to play well. So, for example, you may have Schwartzel mixed in at the top of the leaderboard with Rahm, Thomas, Cantlay, Morikawa, McIlroy etc. Maybe Spieth, Scheffler, Lowry have a bad day or 2. But it doesn't matter as our focus is on the cream rising to the top.

But, as we don't have all those players, more focus is placed on those that we'd normally consider to be under performing in a regular tournament

The rate players are coming it won't be long

6 months ago Rory declared it was "dead in the water"

2 months ago people thought they might get 1 or 2 old players

Couple weeks before people thought nobodies going

First event 15 of top 100 show up.. including DJ

Then Phil arrives

Bryson jumps. Reed to follow (boo) more PGA pros have jumped .. Fowler on the verge

Stenson been mentioned (imagine the current captain coming over)

This is only going one way and it's not the way the PGA hoped

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've watched bits over the first two rounds and it's not really my cuppa tea.
I dislike the shot gun start element. You don't really get a feel for a players round. The whole thing jumps about. The shots come thick and fast and its like watching a highlights reel. It's one look at the shot and that's it. Very little build up to shots unless its phil or dustin.
The fact it's all over in 5 hours doesnt appeal either. I like the way the PGA tour sets up. Usually big names on the fri night coverage to see if they make the cut. The slower pace of coverage allow me to browse my phone or chat on WhatsApp while watching. The liv golf has a section called dont blink. Do and you will miss it. Haha
I'll miss the final round tomorrow as I'll be golfing. Will watch the highlights but overall I'm annoyed its going to interrupt the cream of golf competing on a single tour. Things may have to change in the future. The PGA may eventually have to back down somewhat.
It's all up in the air atm. Lots of unknowns. 8 tournaments this year. How many next etc?
Guys cant be sharp playing such little golf. This story will run and run.
I do feel it's a shame for the traditions and history of the game. 72 holes is a true test of your game. I'm sure some of the old greats are turning in their graves.

Swango1980

Visit site

Then Phil arrives

Bryson jumps. Reed to follow (boo) more PGA pros have jumped .. Fowler on the verge

I agree, it certainly looks like more and more big players will be attracted across. Simply referring to the spectacle of this first event.

D

Deleted member 15344

Then Phil arrives

All getting a bit carried away ?

15 of the worlds top 100 is not exactly shouting about it

Maybe it’s non of the top 10 , 1 of the top 20

looking at the players who have joined which are the players that would be considered one of the current top players - DJ and before his wrist injury BDC

Even the ones muted are still not part of the current cream of the game

Right now there is no real wow player that no one expected - all the players that moved have been rumoured over the past 12 months

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All getting a bit carried away ?

15 of the worlds top 100 is not exactly shouting about it

Maybe it’s non of the top 10 , 1 of the top 20

looking at the players who have joined which are the players that would be considered one of the current top players - DJ and before his wrist injury BDC

Even the ones muted are still not part of the current cream of the game

Players fall down the ranking because of not playing for one. Bryson pre injury was top 10 player and DJ former number 1 ..

How many majors winners on Liv?

Point is people didn't think they would get any.

Swango1980

Visit site
Think it's surprising a lot of people in that it's not as bad as people thought or hoped in some cases
There are definitely more big names in the first one than I thought. A few months ago it seemed Phil was the only one who would do it, while every other big name pro let him fall on his sword.

Then, suddenly you get big names signing up to it shortly before it starts.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are definitely more big names in the first one than I thought. A few months ago it seemed Phil was the only one who would do it, while every other big name pro let him fall on his sword.

Then, suddenly you get big names signing up to it shortly before it starts.

I'd wager that when next year's events start there are many many more names from the world's top 100 in

Let's see who stays loyal

D

Deleted member 15344

Players fall down the ranking because of not playing for one. Bryson pre injury was top 10 player and DJ former number 1 ..

How many majors winners on Liv?

Point is people didn't think they would get any.

The players were rumoured for months - even looking at major winners you have players like Kaymer , McDowell , and Schwartzel who now struggle to get into any major

There is not one player so far where you would look at think that’s someone who is part of the current crop of top players who are battling at the top of the game - DJ is the closet , the rest are all players whose career is on the downturn or at the later stages

If the add in one of those Top 10 players whose trajectory is upwards like a Hovland , Smith, Schuaffle etc then people will take big notice.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
not read every one of the 82 pages but this was an opportunity for US and European Tours to do something to stop the Liv tour but no joined up action from them, no statements and players still seem to be playing in their majors. Players will keep slipping away if they don’t do something. I prefer the 72 holes though. Nothing better than watching the leaders late on a Sunday afternoon. Watching it is like one of those ‘celeb’ events. The commentators (whoever they are) are over hyping it too. It’s quite obvious.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The players were rumoured for months - even looking at major winners you have players like Kaymer , McDowell , and Schwartzel who now struggle to get into any major

There is not one player so far where you would look at think that’s someone who is part of the current crop of top players who are battling at the top of the game - DJ is the closet , the rest are all players whose career is on the downturn or at the later stages

If the add in one of those Top 10 players whose trajectory is upwards like a Hovland , Smith, Schuaffle etc then people will take big notice.

The PGA tour needs to address the situation and change.

It could easily avoid this mess.

Adopt the format for say 4 events a year to get people interested.

Give players their image rights for YouTube etc

And pay the caddies expenses

Adopt those changes and this would be a better and postive tour rather than a greedy tour that just responds by banning players making them look desperate and scared of an apparent lesser product

Swango1980

Visit site

I suspect people are already taking big notice. I mean, it put golf in the main news headlines

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect people are already taking big notice. I mean, it put golf in the main news headlines

The PGA has a lot of decisions to make

Stand by their petty bans and face ruin

Or find a way to co excist

If the DP world tour align with Liv they will become the stronger tour as many will jump to keep their cards and play less events more money and get ranking points

D

Deleted member 15344

The PGA tour needs to address the situation and change.

It could easily avoid this mess.

Adopt the format for say 4 events a year to get people interested.

Give players their image rights for YouTube etc

And pay the caddies expenses

Adopt those changes and this would be a better and postive tour rather than a greedy tour that just responds by banning players making them look desperate and scared of an apparent lesser product

?‍♂️ I’m not sure what that has to do with what I posted ?

And I’m sure the PGA Tour will be fine

I’m not sure using greed is an appropriate message when the players on the PGA already earn significant amounts of money and the ones who have moved are doing so for guarentee significant amounts more money

Why should the tour pay the expenses of the caddies ?

And why adopt the format ? Just because you like it doesn’t mean it’s what makes needed

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
?‍♂️ I’m not sure what that has to do with what I posted ?

And I’m sure the PGA Tour will be fine

I’m not sure using greed is an appropriate message when the players on the PGA already earn significant amounts of money and the ones who have moved are doing so for guarentee significant amounts more money

Why should the tour pay the expenses of the caddies ?

And why adopt the format ? Just because you like it doesn’t mean it’s what makes needed

It's a popular format out of the normal golf viewers and with some current ones

Fans have been crying out for diff formats to be put on along side the norm

There is place for both the PGA and the Liv . However only the PGA is the one making sure they are only ways left.

By doing so they will end up losing talent and weakening their product

Masters top 25

Schwartzel
DJ
Westwood
Garcia

PGA top 25

Fowler
Na

These players are still very competitive on tour

Taking them away weakens the PGA

D

Deleted member 1418

There is place for both the PGA and the Liv . However only the PGA is the one making sure they are only ways left.

Masters top 25

Schwartzel
DJ
Westwood
Garcia

PGA top 25

Fowler
Na

None of those players have been competitive on the PGA Tour recently from memory!

Fowler can barely make a cut. Westwood has come back to the DP World Tour.

Na can barely make it round 18 holes in daylight.

D

Deleted member 15344

Masters top 25

Schwartzel
DJ
Westwood
Garcia

PGA top 25

Fowler
Na

Still very competitive ?‍♂️

Schwartzel outside the World Top 100 , hasn’t won on Tour for over 6 years

Fowler just inside the top 150 - 1/2 top ten in 2/3 years

Westwood top 70 1/2 top ten in the last 2 years , a good number of missed cuts

You can go through them all - even DJ hasn’t won on tour since the Saudi event 18 months ago

Each players World ranking is on a downward

Right now the PGA has all the current players on form and no sign of them moving

Swango1980

Visit site
In discussing the future strength of the PGA, maybe the more critical question is the future of LIV.

Like it or not, I can't see it disappearing anytime soon. Too much money has been thrown at it for them to back down now. They are likely to make a huge effort for at least several years, throwing money at it and not worrying about making big losses.

In that time, more big name PGA players are bound to sign up. Maybe some lesser known players on LIV will suprise us and show some great quality.

In that time, the PGA may well ban any player that plays LIV. Their decision. But all it does is severely weaken their brand.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
None of those players have been competitive on the PGA Tour recently from memory!

Fowler can barely make a cut. Westwood has come back to the DP World Tour.

Na can barely make it round 18 holes in daylight.

Last season and then this season's big events thus far

DJ top 10 at the players

Louis top 5 at the open

DJ top 10 at open

Louis second us open

Reed top 10 masters

Phil won PGA

Louis 2nd PGA

Fowler 9th PGA

Westwood 2nd players

Bryson 3rd players

Garcia 9th players