LIV Golf

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Maybe so, but that’s because IMO 1) most golf tournaments (outside of the Majors) are not that interesting and many people don’t engage….2) Who is coming to LIV and the politics of it all is constantly developing - and is pretty interesting 3) There’s equally no discussion on the PGA Tour event that’s going on right now (related to point 1)
I haven't watched any of the RBC either but I know Rory and Fitz are T2 and Rory and JT needed a ruling as Rorys drive hit JT's ball and moved it...seen it on the socials.
From what I can see...LIV "GOLF" isn't important, it's a sideshow to the main event...Money.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don’t get the obsession with having players contending for wins on the PGA tour joining the Liv series at this stage. What the series needed in its early days was big names to help draw the crowds, and that’s exactly what they’ve got.

DJ is committed to a four year deal - I suspect a few others are doing the same sort of long term agreement. By then, the series will have either drawn in or found some of the best players in the world anyway.

Last edited:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just watched the highlights of day 2.

Entertaining but two points grated:
Again far too much of Phil shown.
But most annoying of all is that stupid ball rattle when putts dropped, it has to be dubbed and it really gets on my nerves. If they don't sort that soon, I'm OUT.
One of their greenkeepers tweeted that there are microphones in the cups and had a picture of them , I thought it was dubbed too.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
One of their greenkeepers tweeted that there are microphones in the cups and had a picture of them , I thought it was dubbed too.

They used to do a dubbed noise on early films so I suppose this is the next step, but they could have gone the whole hog and put a mini camera in there too!

Either way, it's still very annoying and unless they ditch it, I'm OUT. :)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
. What the series needed in its early days was big names to help draw the crowds, and that’s exactly what they’ve got.

I think is is clear that it is exactly what they have NOT got. Giving away tickets, almost rentacrowd, and still only a fraction of an average PGA Tour crowd. There is no way you can spin that as a success. It is clear failure.

Your post strikes me as Trump style fake news or politian speak, where the statement has no relation to the facts. What is your interest in LIV ? Have you a personal stake in its succeeding ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think is is clear that it is exactly what they have NOT got. Giving away tickets, almost rentacrowd, and still only a fraction of an average PGA Tour crowd. There is no way you can spin that as a success. It is clear failure.

Your post strikes me as Trump style fake news or politian speak, where the statement has no relation to the facts. What is your interest in LIV ? Have you a personal stake in its succeeding ?

To be fair the free tickets is what they should have done from day 1

It's a money lose anyways this tour at the moment. Massive fees to get stars over

Why not free tickets for the fans or £20 or something (but someone did mention unless that's what the course wanted, but surely they could cover that cost)

Then it would be look we trying something new come down see what you think

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I don't know how much you spread yourself across Social Media, but trust me, it's been hugely popular. It will take time to build the crowdbase, but I suspect at the next event in the US, the crowd will be much more involved, especially given the addition of a couple more players.

Saying Phil and DJ are not big names is absolute rubbish,Phil is one of THE biggest names in golf, he's a journalists dream, there is ALWAYS a story to write about him.

I know you have a different opinion, but I also know a LOT of people would agree with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

evemccc

Visit site

Completely disagree

The established US golf media and the newer media like NLU have literally said in the last few days that LIV is here to stay, and it’s not going away…they have literally said they underestimated the reality of the threat to the PGA Tour

Likewise NLU have generally praised the actual broadcasting of it - lack of adverts, no. of shots shown esp compared to the pathetic ad-heavy coverage of the PGA Tour etc etc

If I were LIV golf I would have done many, many things differently, including free tickets, with the ‘team’ concept compromised of mixed teams of men and women etc etc. And I don’t doubt that being at Centurion isn’t the exciting spectacle it’s PR claimed….but that blatantly wasn’t its key aims

LIV golf is has indisputably done well in it’s own aims so far, of being a disruptor and trying to usurp the PGA Tour

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It has done nothing well from a golf, competitive sport, or entertainment aspect. It has a single unbeatable strength - money. Which means it can buy some (and it is very meagre at the moment) top players, and the show is staged. But that is not a success in the wider sense. It is fake purchase of some of the superficial elements of success.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I don't know how much you spread yourself across Social Media, but trust me, it's been hugely popular. It will take time to build the crowdbase, but I suspect at the next event in the US, the crowd will be much more involved, especially given the addition of a couple more players.

Saying Phil and DJ are not big names is absolute horseshit, Phil is one of THE biggest names in golf, he's a journalists dream, there is ALWAYS a story to write about him.

I know you have a different opinion, but I also know a LOT of people would agree with mine.

It may have been on the SM that you’ve looked at, but there is just as much negativity.

Phil and DJ are massive names and a real catch for LIV. The rest other than Bryson are a bit meah.

It will be interesting to see who else jumps, but at the minute all the real superstars are are still on the PGA.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Completely disagree

The established US golf media and the newer media like NLU have literally said in the last few days that LIV is here to stay, and it’s not going away…they have literally said they underestimated the reality of the threat to the PGA Tour

Likewise NLU have generally praised the actual broadcasting of it - lack of adverts, no. of shots shown esp compared to the pathetic ad-heavy coverage of the PGA Tour etc etc

If I were LIV golf I would have done many, many things differently, including free tickets, with the ‘team’ concept compromised of mixed teams of men and women etc etc. And I don’t doubt that being at Centurion isn’t the exciting spectacle it’s PR claimed….but that blatantly wasn’t its key aims

LIV golf is has indisputably done well in it’s own aims so far, of being a disruptor and trying to usurp the PGA Tour

Rome wasnt built in a day, its been a lot better than most guessed it would be. It has more players that I have heard of than I thought it would at this stage

they said that year one didnt matter its just a beta test really its next year they need to be good

if they continue to build on what they have done so far I cant see it disappearing
Average YouTube viewing figures from Apex Marketing
Day 1 = 94k
Day 2 = 54k

Would be interested to know the difference in crowd numbers between the 2 days because people more likely to get out of work on a friday than a thursday

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which is pathetic. So even for free, effectively nobody watched. There will have been more tuned into a monkey on a skateboard or something.

Didn't realise 50,000 was nobody

Doesn't include foreign TV coverage figures

Like I said above how many went compared to Thursday?

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Why dont they shcedule their tournaments from September through to February? The FedEx Cup has finished, there are still opportunities to host in the US, plus over the world. That would make far more sense.