LIV Golf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The Fed Ex prize has been obscene for years but it simply gets bigger year on year with no sign of stopping. It won't while the money is coming in but what happens if we get another global crisis like Covid.

During 'new covid' = no golf
Post new covid, everyone was gagging for sport (to broadcast, watch, play & sponsor) & would give their left cashew for it to return = many many oodles of cash

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
During 'new covid' = no golf
Post new covid, everyone was gagging for sport (to broadcast, watch, play & sponsor) & would give their left cashew for it to return = many many oodles of cash
Agreed but what happens once the global economy goes into a huge recession and money gets tight. All sponsors, governing bodies etc will have to tighten their belts accordingly which arguably may be no bad thing if we move away from these mouth watering amounts of cash on offer. No blame on the players who will all make hay and provide for their families but you have to question where it will end

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Agreed but what happens once the global economy goes into a huge recession and money gets tight. All sponsors, governing bodies etc will have to tighten their belts accordingly which arguably may be no bad thing if we move away from these mouth watering amounts of cash on offer. No blame on the players who will all make hay and provide for their families but you have to question where it will end

it won't end and there's no difference if scottie/rahm were to only pick up 10mil rather than 25mil
economies are going rise/fall, peaks and troughs

Things'll be lean(er) during a trough & pick up after. The only ones with issues are those that overreach themselves be that tours/clubs/fans/players etc

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Pretty poor piece overall although there are some good judgments in there - absolutely Anthony Kim was brought in to bring some attention to LIV which it has done, and as Elliott Heath has pointed out, he'll likely be signed by one of the teams, where of course, he could benefit from the players around him and kick on - he has shown steady improvement in form throughout the year despite coming back from what has clearly been a long and troubled break from golf.

What all of the 'journalists' have failed to mention is that Kim had an offer to go back to the PGAT and play there, which he declined in favour of LIV, and I find the exhibition player comments a little churlish given the biggest exhibition in golf is Tiger Woods - and we all know, these scribes would not make those kind of comments about Eldrick.

And then we have - "he represents everything that's wrong with LIV Golf.".. in reference to him being paid for his commitment to the tour rather than his performance on it. It's a 54 man field that travels globally and has 13 events where all the players compete - there are no weak fields where the lesser players have opportunities to make cuts and make some money. The model simply would not work if they all didn't get paid - you know, like pretty much every other sport out there.

On reflection, the article probably says more about the quality of some of the journalism than it does about the quality of AK's golf.

Now where's my tin hat....

cleveland52

Visit site
Pretty poor piece overall although there are some good judgments in there - absolutely Anthony Kim was brought in to bring some attention to LIV which it has done, and as Elliott Heath has pointed out, he'll likely be signed by one of the teams, where of course, he could benefit from the players around him and kick on - he has shown steady improvement in form throughout the year despite coming back from what has clearly been a long and troubled break from golf.

What all of the 'journalists' have failed to mention is that Kim had an offer to go back to the PGAT and play there, which he declined in favour of LIV, and I find the exhibition player comments a little churlish given the biggest exhibition in golf is Tiger Woods - and we all know, these scribes would not make those kind of comments about Eldrick.

And then we have - "he represents everything that's wrong with LIV Golf.".. in reference to him being paid for his commitment to the tour rather than his performance on it. It's a 54 man field that travels globally and has 13 events where all the players compete - there are no weak fields where the lesser players have opportunities to make cuts and make some money. The model simply would not work if they all didn't get paid - you know, like pretty much every other sport out there.

On reflection, the article probably says more about the quality of some of the journalism than it does about the quality of AK's golf.

Now where's my tin hat....
Comparing AK to Tiger Woods? 🤣 Well, AK should be considered for future Commissioner position.!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It always seemed a strange signing to me. Having read a little of his problems he deserves great credit for getting his life back on track and I presume his earnings will help him do that.

As for the future I think a spell on the Asian tour followed by LIV qualification (if he wants to go that way) would be appropriate.

3 jabber

Visit site
What all of the 'journalists' have failed to mention is that Kim had an offer to go back to the PGAT and play there, which he declined in favour of LIV,
What was the offer from the PGAT? I've looked online and cannot find anything. All I can see is he had the option to try to qualify for his card. I'd be very surprised if the PGAT offered him playing rights because he has nothing to offer in return. He is washed up now at PGA level.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What was the offer from the PGAT? I've looked online and cannot find anything. All I can see is he had the option to try to qualify for his card. I'd be very surprised if the PGAT offered him playing rights because he has nothing to offer in return. He is washed up now at PGA level.

He talks at length about it here..

Make your own mind up, but it doesn't sound like he was going to be doing much qualifying - the general chat at the time was that he'd have been given sponsor exemptions at multiple PGAT events, which AK alludes to in the interview.

D-S

Visit site
I realise that neither I nor any of my regular golfing mates are the demographic that LIV are probably looking for but I don’t know anyone who has watched as much as a minute of any LIV event on TV nor, I believe, could any of them name any of the teams or who is in which team. We all know the names that have moved to LIV but bar their performances in majors and the odd appearance in a DP event they go unwatched and unremarked upon.
This must change eventually I assume but it’s taking a long time coming.

wjemather

Visit site
I realise that neither I nor any of my regular golfing mates are the demographic that LIV are probably looking for but I don’t know anyone who has watched as much as a minute of any LIV event on TV nor, I believe, could any of them name any of the teams or who is in which team. We all know the names that have moved to LIV but bar their performances in majors and the odd appearance in a DP event they go unwatched and unremarked upon.
This must change eventually I assume but it’s taking a long time coming.
Interestingly, I've played a few scratch opens this season and it was noticeable how many of the younger players were wearing LIV team caps.

In our house, we watch LIV in preference to the PGA Tour, which had already lost most of our interest long before LIV arrived - for many reasons, including: excessive commercials, atrocious commentary full of vomit-inducing sycophancy (and since LIV came along, hypocrisy and untruths), ridiculously slow play, second tier (KFT+) fields, no variety in featured groups, bad golf courses and weak/gimmicky setups, etc.

3 jabber

Visit site
He talks at length about it here..

Make your own mind up, but it doesn't sound like he was going to be doing much qualifying - the general chat at the time was that he'd have been given sponsor exemptions at multiple PGAT events, which AK alludes to in the interview.

Hmmm I think you are reading a bit too much into it. He speaks about going back to the PGAT but I could say the same. He would need to qualify just like me. A couple of sponsor invites isn't going to get him his card unless he wins, about the same odds as me winning on the PGA. His options are basically LIV, satellite tours or retirement.

3 jabber

Visit site
Interestingly, I've played a few scratch opens this season and it was noticeable how many of the younger players were wearing LIV team caps.

In our house, we watch LIV in preference to the PGA Tour, which had already lost most of our interest long before LIV arrived - for many reasons, including: excessive commercials, atrocious commentary full of vomit-inducing sycophancy, ridiculously slow play, second tier (KFT+) fields, no variety in featured groups, bad golf courses and weak/gimmicky setups, etc.
Sounds like you are talking about LIV :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

D-S

Visit site

In our house, we watch LIV in preference to the PGA Tour, which had already lost most of our interest long before LIV arrived - for many reasons, including: excessive commercials, atrocious commentary full of vomit-inducing sycophancy (and since LIV came along, hypocrisy and untruths), ridiculously slow play, second tier (KFT+) fields, no variety in featured groups, bad golf courses and weak/gimmicky setups, etc.
I was only commenting as I see it, perhaps if we started we may enjoy it but we haven’t moved from our previous viewing habits with perhaps the exception that fewer PGA tour events catch our attention.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a LIV team cap, but perhaps I wouldn’t recognise one if I saw it.
I believe we both play in the BDGL (which has a number of younger better golfers) and can’t seem to remember any odd caps but again maybe I wouldn’t recognise them.