LIV Golf

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Did anyone attend today?

Can anyone share their experiences as we are currently debating at what time we should set off.

Cheers

We're there tomorrow but spoken to a few who went today and they said it was an absolute horror show - took ages to get in and out and the car park / dropoff zone was about 2 miles walk from the entrance.

It's a couple of hours drive for us (normally) and we're now leaving at 9 in the hope that we can get there at a reasonable time.

Edit. Apparently even the players had to abandon their cars and run in!

Sounds a shambles tbh and I injured my knee last week so currently debating whether or not 6-8 hrs in a car and a 7 or 8 miles walk is worth it.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
We're there tomorrow but spoken to a few who went today and they said it was an absolute horror show - took ages to get in and out and the car park / dropoff zone was about 2 miles walk from the entrance.

It's a couple of hours drive for us (normally) and we're now leaving at 9 in the hope that we can get there at a reasonable time.

This concerns me.

We only managed to get car park D passes (park and ride).

We have a pushchair for my 12 month old in tow, along with a 5 and 10 year old who won’t enjoy a 2 mile walk to the entrance.

Would anyone know if the park and ride shuttle drops you off anywhere near the entrance?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Presumably this is an issue with having a shotgun start. At a regular tournament people drift in at different times knowing they will catch lots of golf still. With LIV there is a clear beginning and end.

Saying that, they have run multiple tournaments already and the set up should be better organised.

Golf is fun

Visit site
I was there yesterday. Some general thoughts/observations.

It's not as loud as people make out. There is background music playing, but it's not like being in a nightclub or anything. I can only assume the broadcast amplifies it for some reason, intentional or not.

The shotgun start is a mixed blessing. Everyone is on the range, or other warm up areas at the same time. You don't have to choose between watching play or warm up. The downside to this is the crowd is not thinned out between these areas. You also get a lot of adult autograph hunters taking it a bit too seriously.

I think the crowd was surprising, especially for a Friday, although maybe it being school holidays was a factor. I stayed the night before in Uttoxeter, left the hotel at 11, and didn't have much trouble getting in. There was some traffic, and queues, bit it was constantly moving so didn't feel too bad. That said it still took 30 mins from leaving to being parked up for what I believe is a 10 minute journey in more normal conditions. From parking to being through the gate onto the grounds was just under an hour, but it didn't feel that long as it was split between walking from where parked to the busses, the bus ride itself, from the bus drop off to the gate, and getting through security. On that note the bag search was exactly as described in the email, people in front were shocked that food and drink was being confiscated. I think we were early enough to be ahead of most people, I guess this is another downside to the shotgun start - everyone arrives at the same time. I wouldn't say it was particularly any worse than going to The Open though.

The fan village was decent, few things to keep kids and big kids busy. Merchandise was a bit disappointing, expensive, big queues and nothing event branded, just the team or Liv kit. Still had some nice stuff, just don't expect to be wowed, compared to other events.

Lots of food options, and a nice shaded sitting area with screens, but very busy at peak time - we waited about 30 mins between ordering and receiving burger and chips.

Overall it was a great day though, definitely recommend it.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I was there yesterday. Some general thoughts/observations.

It's not as loud as people make out. There is background music playing, but it's not like being in a nightclub or anything. I can only assume the broadcast amplifies it for some reason, intentional or not.

The shotgun start is a mixed blessing. Everyone is on the range, or other warm up areas at the same time. You don't have to choose between watching play or warm up. The downside to this is the crowd is not thinned out between these areas. You also get a lot of adult autograph hunters taking it a bit too seriously.

I think the crowd was surprising, especially for a Friday, although maybe it being school holidays was a factor. I stayed the night before in Uttoxeter, left the hotel at 11, and didn't have much trouble getting in. There was some traffic, and queues, bit it was constantly moving so didn't feel too bad. That said it still took 30 mins from leaving to being parked up for what I believe is a 10 minute journey in more normal conditions. From parking to being through the gate onto the grounds was just under an hour, but it didn't feel that long as it was split between walking from where parked to the busses, the bus ride itself, from the bus drop off to the gate, and getting through security. On that note the bag search was exactly as described in the email, people in front were shocked that food and drink was being confiscated. I think we were early enough to be ahead of most people, I guess this is another downside to the shotgun start - everyone arrives at the same time. I wouldn't say it was particularly any worse than going to The Open though.

The fan village was decent, few things to keep kids and big kids busy. Merchandise was a bit disappointing, expensive, big queues and nothing event branded, just the team or Liv kit. Still had some nice stuff, just don't expect to be wowed, compared to other events.

Lots of food options, and a nice shaded sitting area with screens, but very busy at peak time - we waited about 30 mins between ordering and receiving burger and chips.

Overall it was a great day though, definitely recommend it.

Great review buddy.

As for food being confiscated, the kids were going to bring a backpack with snacks.

Do you know if this is allowed?

Golf is fun

Visit site
Great review buddy.

As for food being confiscated, the kids were going to bring a backpack with snacks.

They were confiscating food and opened drinks bottles. I think sealed bottles were ok. You can also take empty plastic flasks, and there are chilled water refill stations. I think the sealed or empty bottles is to stop water miraculously turning into vodka.

They were really strict with the food, even confiscated a small tub of chewing gum from someone. Might be a bit more lenient with kids, but be prepared for the worst.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Went yesterday. Organisation was fine for me. In car park D was a little slow getting in but this was more due to the nature of the roads around the course than anything. Shuttle buses were quick and waiting. Quick getting in even with my rucksack. Same leaving buses waiting outside getting people on quickly. Staff efficient getting cars out of the car park too. Sadly the roads around the course aren't built for the traffic though.

The event itself - shotgun start is not for me. Found it very slow. A few groups nearly a hole behind. Plenty of toilets dotted about and food and drink kiosks.

Merch shop was absolutely chaos. Was a bit surprised by that.

Overall excellent value for what we paid for the tickets and parking but did feel the limited time the golf was on meant we were rushing around at times to watch groups(this maybe down to our poor planning though)

Last edited:

babylonsinger

Visit site
Great review buddy.

Didn't take any food and drink in ourselves as I'd read they weren't allowed but whilst sat in the stand above 17 the couple in front pulled out a picnic they'd clearly brought with them so perhaps it depends on who checks the bags. The lad who "checked" mine took my word for it that I only had a raincoat for all of our group in it. He didn't look inside

Golf is fun

Visit site
The event itself - shotgun start is not for me. Found it very slow. A few groups nearly a hole behind. Plenty of toilets dotted about and food and drink kiosks.
Interesting, it's all subjective, but I found it not really any different from a more traditional event, except without the ramp up and down you get at the start and end. Yes there were slow groups who dropped a hole, but I've seen groups drop multiple holes in traditional formats, I guess the only difference is in a traditional event only those groups behind the slow group are impacted, whereas with the shotgun it can impact the whole field. It was just under 5 hours from start to finish, for a club round this would get you crucified, but for elite tournament play you wouldn't get much different in other events.

Swango1980

Visit site
My mate is off to watch today with his brother and dad.

Just sent a photo of his brother, who is wearing a T Shirt, with Tiger Woods lining up a putt. Bit of PGA v LIV banter :D

babylonsinger

Visit site
Interesting, it's all subjective, but I found it not really any different from a more traditional event, except without the ramp up and down you get at the start and end. Yes there were slow groups who dropped a hole, but I've seen groups drop multiple holes in traditional formats, I guess the only difference is in a traditional event only those groups behind the slow group are impacted, whereas with the shotgun it can impact the whole field. It was just under 5 hours from start to finish, for a club round this would get you crucified, but for elite tournament play you wouldn't get much different in other events.
Not something I can say I've found. Only been to a few events but not had any significant waiting at those. Nearly 12 minutes for one group at 14 yesterday (albeit this isn't me with a stopwatch but a mate checking his phone use).

Can't say my gripe was about the length of the rounds in general (actually it may have helped us catch a few extra holes at the end) but it did feel like we could have maximised some of that waiting time better if we knew

Golf is fun

Visit site
Not something I can say I've found. Only been to a few events but not had any significant waiting at those. Nearly 12 minutes for one group at 14 yesterday (albeit this isn't me with a stopwatch but a mate checking his phone use).

Can't say my gripe was about the length of the rounds in general (actually it may have helped us catch a few extra holes at the end) but it did feel like we could have maximised some of that waiting time better if we knew
That's a fair point, with a shotgun ultimately everyone plays at the slowest groups pace, whereas traditionally you have a mix of paces even if the overall total time is the same. That said 12 minutes isn't outrageous given the tee times were 11 mins apart for the open.

Whilst the course was nice I do think part of this feeling of it being slower comes from there not being many viewings spots that cover multiple holes, at least not from the parts of the course I saw.

babylonsinger

Visit site
That's a fair point, with a shotgun ultimately everyone plays at the slowest groups pace, whereas traditionally you have a mix of paces even if the overall total time is the same. That said 12 minutes isn't outrageous given the tee times were 11 mins apart for the open.

Whilst the course was nice I do think part of this feeling of it being slower comes from there not being many viewings spots that cover multiple holes, at least not from the parts of the course I saw.
That second paragraph is a valid one. The other events I've been to have had at least a couple of areas where you could watch more than one hole at a time. Difficult from what I saw to do that much at JCB.

In fairness there were probably more people at the event yesterday than the events I'm comparing it too aswell

4LEX

Visit site
I watched all of it yesterday and felt really underwhelmed.

I've said before I'm no fan of the PGA Tour and feel it has an unfair monopoly on professional golf but what LIV have done is shocking. For all that money, to end up with the current format is mind boggling. I do want to like it and I've tried but it's impossible - it's just a rubbish product.

I liked the initial shot gun start but from then on the coverage only really features the best shots or the biggest players, it doesn't feel live at all. It's a 4 hour highlights reel bar the end when they focus more on the players at the top, rather than the big names.

The coverage is so biased it has to be fake, from the tweets to the constant hype, it's nauseating. You can't get away from the team names either, the players don't seem bothered and were walking off from the tee almost before the last person had finished his swing. The players look like they're on holiday mode as whatever happens, they've already won. There's only a few players that have improved since going to LIV and one is a near 50 year journeyman in Bland. Hardly rock and roll golf is it? Even Rahm looks bored senseless. Bryson is holding the whole thing together.

The Saudi's should've bought the European Tour, vastly increased prize money, put on more events in the UK and Ireland and taken the PGA Tour on head to head. Instead they've wasted billions on basically destroying professional golf outside of the Majors and the odd elite event. I don't even bother watching golf anymore bar the majors.

Maybe it's part of the PIF masterplan to merge together and create a world tour (mostly based in the US) but I can't see it.

It did look a decent day out though for a golf starved public and the course was brilliant on TV.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Did Rahm not get the memo when he joined LIV - it’s supposed to be louder , going to have a lot of chatting and music around the course , just like the WM it’s going to encourage this behaviour- as we saw with Poulters recent Teddy throw with a fan

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Walked straight in this morning. Slick operation today

Gates didn't open til 12 did they?

We ended up following the back roads to the main entrance and leaving the car on a grass verge on a wide bit of country road and walking the last mile.

Seemed a ball ache at the time but we were eating KFC at knutsford services before our mates from Stoke had even left the car park!

Was a good day, decent set up and the course was immaculate. Didn't see everyone we wanted to (Bryson and DJ) but ended up following quite a few groups round and enjoyed it.

"Party" hole was fun but a bit contrived, seemed to be a land of extremes - people were either singing along or just ignoring the songs.

Good day though and will definitely be back next year if JCB is hosting again.