LIV Golf

HeftyHacker

Visit site
🤷‍♂️ does it matter ? Its a LIV account whether fan or official not having a clue where their next event is 🤷‍♂️

And on the official why is it LIV Golf Uk and not LIV Golf Uttoexter or Stoke in the same way it’s LIV golf Adelaide or Orlando etc

Because the person who posted it is an American who probably views the whole of the UK as England and doesn't know any UK cities other than London.

On the second point, you have to maintain some form of familiarity. It's not like they've got a rigid way of naming their events. The most recent one in Spain was LIV Golf Andalusia which is a region, most others are named after the major cities in which they're held - clearly Stoke, Uttoxeter or even Staffordshire would mean nothing to the majority of the US based fans.

It's a weird thing to call them out on when most PGA events are just known by their sponsors - I wouldn't have a clue without googling or watching it where the courses are and I wouldn't say my geographical knowledge is particularly lacking.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Because the person who posted it is an American who probably views the whole of the UK as England and doesn't know any UK cities other than London.

On the second point, you have to maintain some form of familiarity. It's not like they've got a rigid way of naming their events. The most recent one in Spain was LIV Golf Andalusia which is a region, most others are named after the major cities in which they're held - clearly Stoke, Uttoxeter or even Staffordshire would mean nothing to the majority of the US based fans.

It's a weird thing to call them out on when most PGA events are just known by their sponsors - I wouldn't have a clue without googling or watching it where the courses are and I wouldn't say my geographical knowledge is particularly lacking.

No idea about the PGA or where events are hosted beyond a handful - Pebble Beach , Memorial , Players Scottsdale , Harbour Town

But a lot of the pandering to the US is a big part of the issue

LIV are still very much focused on that area of the market where it’s already pretty much nailed down by the PGAT

Going in a bit of a tangent - they imo should have had every single event outside the US - take those players to multiple events in Europe , Africa , Asia , Australia, South America

Also the last 4 days have shown maybe it’s time that tours looked to host events on different types of courses instead of the same parkland style soft birdie set up

Last edited:

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I wonder if some of the guys opposed to LIV will ever just choose to accept it?

Genuine question, what good is the continual bitterness doing?
I'll definitely except it provided its kept totally separate from the PGA.
If the backers think there is a gap in the market for LIV, then fine.
I personally have zero interest in watching it or reading about it, but I appreciate some may want to watch it.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
No idea about the PGA or where events are hosted beyond a handful - Pebble Beach , Memorial , Players Scottsdale , Harbour Town

But a lot of the pandering to the US is a big part of the issue

LIV are still very much focused on that area of the market where it’s already pretty much nailed down by the PGAT

Going in a bit of a tangent - they imo should have had every single event outside the US - take those players to multiple events in Europe , Africa , Asia , Australia, South America

Also the last 4 days have shown maybe it’s time that tours looked to host events on different types of courses instead of the same parkland style soft birdie set up

Rightly or wrongly the US is by far the biggest captive market and to get even 10 percent of that market would be bigger than conquering any other market worldwide - I'm talking in terms of those interested in and spectators. If you have any hope of becoming a success you need to be engaging that market in some way.

FWIW I do completely agree on there being too many US events, I think there's definitely scope to replace some of the US events with other events in Australia, the UK (Scotland would get my vote) and South Africa, probably another in Dubai, or Japan as well. It would certainly "grow the game".

However, you'd then have the issue of attracting top US players (in their peak) who would then be required to be overseas for large chunks of the year. It does seem pretty obvious to me that it's the reason there's a pretty strong South African, Australian and European contingent on LIV, these guys are used to having to travel all over the world to compete so being paid more handsomely to do so would be a no-brainer for them. The US guys might be more hesitant.

Agree on the course types as well.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Rightly or wrongly the US is by far the biggest captive market and to get even 10 percent of that market would be bigger than conquering any other market worldwide - I'm talking in terms of those interested in and spectators. If you have any hope of becoming a success you need to be engaging that market in some way.

FWIW I do completely agree on there being too many US events, I think there's definitely scope to replace some of the US events with other events in Australia, the UK (Scotland would get my vote) and South Africa, probably another in Dubai, or Japan as well. It would certainly "grow the game".

However, you'd then have the issue of attracting top US players (in their peak) who would then be required to be overseas for large chunks of the year. It does seem pretty obvious to me that it's the reason there's a pretty strong South African, Australian and European contingent on LIV, these guys are used to having to travel all over the world to compete so being paid more handsomely to do so would be a no-brainer for them. The US guys might be more hesitant.

Agree on the course types as well.

I think unfortunately that’s the biggest issue within Golf and also what will hold back any sort of “world tour” as such

Growing up when I was watching golf it was just events in the UK , plus maybe a bit of the masters , then add the Ryder Cup

I didn’t watch any us golf because it wasn’t on

The only time you saw those US golfers was in the Open or Masters

As soon as those top Europeans jumped to the US the events in Europe dwindled and we were stuck with US Golf , and it’s the same issues with Aus

LIV is going against a tour that’s swamped all other tours because it’s got the foothold in the biggest market

The European tour had to expand and join forces with other tours to keep some sort of relevance

But people in places like Dubai and Saudi etc they aren’t interested in golf as a whole , even when the tour events go there most of the crowds are ex pats , people playing the courses are tourists

It is a game played all over but with massive varying degrees of levels of markets

And unfortunately the US is the biggest and everyone panders to them and the players and LIV did the same - they will get their crowds in markets that are already there

As for the players

You can see why the players that went to LIV did so

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Yeah, I had no complaints about the course itself, certainly didn't come across as tatty. But, when you are having an awful day, and you are dehydrated and shattered, the mind struggles to appreciate the presentation of the course, and instead wants the round to end asap :)
I’ll be taking a few beers ☺️

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Would this be a good addition to the LIV schedule? I'm not sure the Irish golf fans are onboard with LIV yet? I like the idea, but it probably needs to be a course that's more easily accessible, so somewhere in the south of England for me..

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Morning gents, I’ve left the JCB event a bit late and would love to go and take my kids along this Saturday. I’ve never been to a golf event before so if anyone knows of any contacts where I could obtain a grounds pass it would be very much appreciated.

Fingers crossed 🙏

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Morning gents, I’ve left the JCB event a bit late and would love to go and take my kids along this Saturday. I’ve never been to a golf event before so if anyone knows of any contacts where I could obtain a grounds pass it would be very much appreciated.

Fingers crossed 🙏

I have just managed to secure two tickets for me and the misses which apparently gives access to my 3 sprogs who are all under 12 🎉

I’ll be honest, watching golf live has never interested me in the slightest up until now. Not a clue what to expect but really looking forward to it.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have just managed to secure two tickets for me and the misses which apparently gives access to my 3 sprogs who are all under 12 🎉

I’ll be honest, watching golf live has never interested me in the slightest up until now. Not a clue what to expect but really looking forward to it.

One thing is for sure, it wil be very different to the experience you would get at a golf event on any other tour. Whether that's good or bad would depend on your point of view.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Get in in good time so you can do the fan village and merch tent before the golf if possible. There’ll be plenty of activities for the kids as well.
Once the players start their warm up drills, you could get a little starstruck, as you’ll have a bunch of some of the most famous players im the world all congregating in the practice areas at the same time.

Last year we walked out to a position where we could see some solid groups come through, then followed the last of those which had Sergio and Niemann in for a few holes, then picked up Phil, Brooks and Bryson followed them.

You’ll have a great day, its not overly long unlike our day at The Open last week, the music is great, loads of folk enjoying themselves - quality golf - enjoy(y)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Get in in good time so you can do the fan village and merch tent before the golf if possible. There’ll be plenty of activities for the kids as well.
Once the players start their warm up drills, you could get a little starstruck, as you’ll have a bunch of some of the most famous players im the world all congregating in the practice areas at the same time.

Last year we walked out to a position where we could see some solid groups come through, then followed the last of those which had Sergio and Niemann in for a few holes, then picked up Phil, Brooks and Bryson followed them.

You’ll have a great day, its not overly long unlike our day at The Open last week, the music is great, loads of folk enjoying themselves - quality golf - enjoy(y)

(y)

So be at the practice range at just the right time (along with everyone else) or you’ll miss all the action as you’ve only got the one opportunity & no matter what you paid for entry the golf will be over in short order compared to attending tournaments on other tours? Gotcha (y)

oh, in the many many dozens of posts about attending Tour events and Majors on this forum I think this is the 1st time anyone’s ever been warned about being startstruck! So best make sure of the location of 1st aid tent in the fan village ;) Cracking bit of advice

I’m up for watching golf from liv & any other tour but I didn’t realise just how much of a ‘fan’ one can be... I hope you all enjoy it anyway, I'll look forward to seeing the highlights on the box 🏌️‍♂️