LIV Golf

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
…and how US opens did Europeans win whilst we dominated majors?

Also, the USPGA has been a a major for a long time. Even when it didn’t suit your narrative!
Wasn’t McDowell the first winner of the US Open from Europe since 1970 ( 2010 ) and in those 40 years there were only 7 non US winners I think

And USPGA was worse - Harrington the first European winner in 2008 ( only been two others since as well )

Fore Right

Visit site
With rumours of a new framework agreement 2.0 being agreed i feel both tours continuing is the best solution.
Before you jump in let me explain my reasoning.

I think if the PGA Tour continues and sacrifices some events ( lower events)
and Liv continues and sacrifices some events.
This opens up some space in the calendar.

And then to replace said events we have some co sanctioned events that players from both tours qualify for and play against each other.

The reason for this is that I think the rivalry of the 2 tours is a good thing and adds some extra spice when all the players come back together.
Yes the Rory Bryson battle on the back 9 of the US Open was amazing theatre but there was also a PGA Tour Poster boy v Liv Poster boy simmering under the surface.

Say 6 co santioned events and 4 majors would give us 10 events where all the players compete against each other.
Co Santioned events would be 72 hole events going off the 1st tee probably without a cut.
I also think a PGAT v Liv Ryder Cup style event would be amazing.

Just my musings and thoughts.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
With rumours of a new framework agreement 2.0 being agreed i feel both tours continuing is the best solution.

And then to replace said events we have some co sanctioned events that players from both tours qualify for and play against each other.

The reason for this is that I think the rivalry of the 2 tours is a good thing and adds some extra spice when all the players come back together.
Yes the Rory Bryson battle on the back 9 of the US Open was amazing theatre but there was also a PGA Tour Poster boy v Liv Poster boy simmering under the surface.

Say 6 co santioned events and 4 majors would give us 10 events where all the players compete against each other.
Co Santioned events would be 72 hole events going off the 1st tee probably without a cut.

I suspect we'll see LIV going to 60 players to accommodate a few more from the PGAT - which might well be invites through some sort of ranking system or qualification - and that may well require LIV to reduce their schedule. LIV will also be wanting to strengthen their roster throughout as well.

The PGAT will also want some of the LIV players on their events as well of course, so we can expect to see that.

The biggest challenge is fitting it all into the calendar to keep all parties happy - which won't be easy.

The guys that seem to have some inside info or better educated guesses suggest 2026 when things will begin to change.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

I think once PIF get their claws into the PGAT then LIV will be slowly phased out - there will be no need for LIV because PiF would then have a partnership with all the tours - I suspect that PGAT will be looking for some sort of stipulation in regards events on the US soil

LIV was a vehicle to get PGAT to the table for them - Greg Norman obviously will see it differently - he wants the world tour etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree and hate that rhetoric. It was two of the world's best golfers competing for a major. Nothing to do with PGA v LIV for me. I don't think the average person cares about that, it's just media-spun nonsense.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I think once PIF get their claws into the PGAT then LIV will be slowly phased out - there will be no need for LIV because PiF would then have a partnership with all the tours - I suspect that PGAT will be looking for some sort of stipulation in regards events on the US soil

LIV was a vehicle to get PGAT to the table for them - Greg Norman obviously will see it differently - he wants the world tour etc

Yasir Al Rumayan doesn’t share your views.

LIV is part of a plan to build a tourist industry in Saudi, I’ m not sure they want to limit visitors to the male 65 year old that watches the PGAT

You know this anyway. 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I disagree and hate that rhetoric. It was two of the world's best golfers competing for a major. Nothing to do with PGA v LIV for me. I don't think the average person cares about that, it's just media-spun nonsense.
Totally agree. No one cares and it was never described in commentary as Liv v PGA. Just two players trying win a major. Nor does it need the spin

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Not a fan of no cut events tbh. Wgcs never worked, and the no cut stuff on the pga tour isn't great. High value, small field events just work to fossilise the status quo, which is a problem with the current pga setup where young kornferry grads with cards struggle to get starts and Webb Simpson gets invited into all the signature events

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a fan of no cut events tbh. Wgcs never worked, and the no cut stuff on the pga tour isn't great. High value, small field events just work to fossilise the status quo, which is a problem with the current pga setup where young kornferry grads with cards struggle to get starts and Webb Simpson gets invited into all the signature events
True..just look at earlier this year when an Amateur won on the PGA Tour, and is now invited to all signature events.

If you are good enough, you'll get in automatically. If you aren't, then you won't.

D-S

Visit site
Yasir Al Rumayan doesn’t share your views.

LIV is part of a plan to build a tourist industry in Saudi, I’ m not sure they want to limit visitors to the male 65 year old that watches the PGAT

You know this anyway. 👍
I would have thought that older male golfers are exactly the sort of tourists that Saudi are looking for in golfing resorts. I don’t thinking they’ll be touting for, or ever attractive to, the Costas lads on tour groups where cost is a key factor.

Fore Right

Visit site
End of 2023 Bryson was 155 on the OWGR :unsure:
Played in no regular season events qualifying for OWGR points.

Currently no 10 in the world.
Shows what an immense major season BDC has had in 2024.
T6, 2nd & US Open Champion

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I would have thought that older male golfers are exactly the sort of tourists that Saudi are looking for in golfing resorts. I don’t thinking they’ll be touting for, or ever attractive to, the Costas lads on tour groups where cost is a key factor.
We’ve been through this a number of times. The Saudis first and foremost want access to corporate US. The PGAT could give them an in.

The tourism in Saudi is designed to entice the same people the Rolex adds are targeting. The wealthy. Look at the resorts they are building. They are not for the people who save up all year for a week in a cheap resort where you can buy a fake Rolex.

Fore Right

Visit site
Going to be very interesting to see how this framework 2.0 agreement looks.

What will Yassir do with Liv, use this opportunity to merge to wind it down or strengthen its future now his bargaining position is so much stronger than when Liv 1st started.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Ok, so what i actually said was ‘limit to the male 65 year old that watches the PGAT’ - I'm pretty sure that they'd welcome visitors in that demographic, but nobody is stupid enough to believe that they could have invested in the PGAT, and that would have fulfilled their aims in terms of opening up their tourist market to new people.

We’ve been through this a number of times. The Saudis first and foremost want access to corporate US. The PGAT could give them an in.

The tourism in Saudi is designed to entice the same people the Rolex adds are targeting. The wealthy. Look at the resorts they are building. They are not for the people who save up all year for a week in a cheap resort where you can buy a fake Rolex.

I think they've already got that covered to be honest BiM.

They'll be just as interested in Russian Oligarchs as they are wealthy Americans.

The USA has the primary golf market of course, so having a foot in that is essential to their plans, but they'll be targeting global wealth, and LIV is clearly part of building that global network for them .

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
No matter what they do unless their strict laws and human rights issues change they will never become any sort of tourist hot spot and putting fingers in many sports pies hasn’t and won’t change that

Just look at the crowds they have for boxing or football etc

They don’t care about the sports

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
No matter what they do unless their strict laws and human rights issues change they will never become any sort of tourist hot spot and putting fingers in many sports pies hasn’t and won’t change that

Just look at the crowds they have for boxing or football etc

They don’t care about the sports
All they need to do is soften their approach to tourists and they could end up like Dubai. The UAE is just basically a few years ahead of Saudi.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
All they need to do is soften their approach to tourists and they could end up like Dubai. The UAE is just basically a few years ahead of Saudi.

Going to take a massive shift for that , Saudi is worlds away , it’s more than a few years

It’s still a country that you are advised to not travel too as well

Going to need a huge cultural shift there