LIV Golf

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Your right of course but it is also huge for Liv.
Their players continually competing and winning majors helps legitimise the quality on the Liv Tour.

LIV tour is as legitimised as it’s going to be - it’s a tour with multiple world class players. That’s no different to this time last year when Koepka was winning , there are players on that tour capable of winning majors - they had multiple players who won majors

Providing the players continued in the same work ethic as they did before then they will no doubt challenge for majors.

World class players don’t lose that ability

The one hope I had were that the majors were above everything in regards the tour issues going on and when they started it was all down to the players during those 4 days

When a player wins a major it doesn’t say what tour they are on , when they engrave the trophy they don’t put LIV or PGAT next to the name

It’s a win for BDC

D

Deleted member 29109

Surely LIV paid these players a fortune because they were amongst the best.
So it is expected they do well, immaterial of where they now play.
No. They paid them to take them from the PGAT. Some of them, like Bryson are very good. Lots of them aren’t!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
LIV are allowed to crow a little, they have taken enough stick. The LIV critics talked about how players would be under cooked, '54 holes in not enough, their incentive was gone to practice and improve, blah blah. BDC has competed well in all 3 majors this year, won one of them. 'LIV is a graveyard for competitive golfers' can surely be put to bed now, first Brooks, now BDC. Accept it is simply a different tour with some very good golfers on it. You can like whichever one you want but time to stop denigrating it as being meaningless for the golfers on it when it comes to the world stage.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
LIV are allowed to crow a little, they have taken enough stick. The LIV critics talked about how players would be under cooked, '54 holes in not enough, their incentive was gone to practice and improve, blah blah. BDC has competed well in all 3 majors this year, won one of them. 'LIV is a graveyard for competitive golfers' can surely be put to bed now, first Brooks, now BDC. Accept it is simply a different tour with some very good golfers on it. You can like whichever one you want but time to stop denigrating it as being meaningless for the golfers on it when it comes to the world stage.

My mate was still banging on last night that Liv is rubbish, Bryson needs to come back and test himself against the best. Erm? He just won the us open..before that he was second at the pga and before that 5th at the masters

He has proven he can compete with the best in the world

Doesn't this set him up for 5 more years of this? Entry to majors I mean

I honestly think Byrson going to Liv is the making of him. This isn't saying Liv is good or bad. However since he left he seems incredibly chilled. Enjoying just playing golf. Maybe the lack of pressure and ofc no need for making cuts to get paid .. but he can just enjoy 4 majors a year. Make loads of brilliant YouTube stuff ..

That's just my personal take.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He does seem like the exception though to be honest. Koepka turned up for one too but he was always an anomaly who turned up for majors. A lot of the other top guys who went to LIV do seem to have gone off the boil a little bit. Rahm in particular this year, Cam Smith hasn't really challenged. DJ went off a cliff. Garcia had a decent showing though, and Hatton is still doing ok.

I just looked up the LIV individual standings though and Bryson is only 15th while Rahm is 2nd. I think Rahm said as much in a recent interview, that people are falsely judging him off his major performances, but of course they're going to do that as it's the only real frame of comparison that we have.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He does seem like the exception though to be honest. Koepka turned up for one too but he was always an anomaly who turned up for majors. A lot of the other top guys who went to LIV do seem to have gone off the boil a little bit. Rahm in particular this year, Cam Smith hasn't really challenged. DJ went off a cliff. Garcia had a decent showing though, and Hatton is still doing ok.

I just looked up the LIV individual standings though and Bryson is only 15th while Rahm is 2nd. I think Rahm said as much in a recent interview, that people are falsely judging him off his major performances, but of course they're going to do that as it's the only real frame of comparison that we have.
I think DJ was on the downturn before he moved to LIV, the offer came at a great time for him. Garcia is also way past his best, age catches up. Some of the others did okay, some didn't. No different to the other players there, Hovland for example. Golf is usually like that, with some clear exceptions.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think DJ was on the downturn before he moved to LIV, the offer came at a great time for him. Garcia is also way past his best, age catches up. Some of the others did okay, some didn't. No different to the other players there, Hovland for example. Golf is usually like that, with some clear exceptions.

I like to look at the data golf rankings, they give a good indicator of form

I mean there not that far off the official ones but for example (as of last week) Byrson was 38th in the world lol ok .. on this he is 11th which before winning yesterday id defo say he is within the top 20 in the world

Fore Right

Visit site
Be interesting to see if the Bryson effect makes any difference to the crowds at their Nashville event this week.
Their USA events crowds have struggled in the main in past events..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like to look at the data golf rankings, they give a good indicator of form

I mean there not that far off the official ones but for example (as of last week) Byrson was 38th in the world lol ok .. on this he is 11th which before winning yesterday id defo say he is within the top 20 in the world
Bryson is top 5 players in the world for me, never mind top 20.

Fore Right

Visit site
Bryson is top 5 players in the world for me, never mind top 20.
The annoying thing is without seeing Scottie v Bryson on a regular basis its hard to really compare

Bryson has edged the Majors they have played against each other this year.

Masters
Scottie Winner
Bryson T6

USPGA
Scottie T8
Bryson 2nd

US Open
Scottie T41
Bryson Winner

In fact Brysons 2024 major record is ridiculous.

Need to get all these guys playing against each other more asap because when they do its really good..

evemccc

Visit site
I’m not really a tattoo kind of fella. If I was, I draw the line at having a tattoo of anyone wearing a Pringle sweater and sporting a crap haircut.

You prefer a Slazenger sweater and an even crapper haircut?

Jeez…the fan-boyism / tribalism of people doesn’t ever cease to amaze me

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe if they had taken him to the ryder cup they wouldn't have been so poor 🤣
I thought it was baffling they didn't select him at the time, but it looks even more stupid now. Doubt he would have changed the result though as he is only one player.

The annoying thing is without seeing Scottie v Bryson on a regular basis its hard to really compare

Bryson has edged the Majors they have played against each other this year.

Masters
Scottie Winner
Bryson T6

USPGA
Scottie T8
Bryson 2nd

US Open
Scottie T41
Bryson Winner

In fact Brysons 2024 major record is ridiculous.

Need to get all these guys playing against each other more asap because when they do its really good..
I don't think there's any doubt that Scheffler is still the world's best player, although his putter started letting him down again this week. The Open will be interesting as it's a different kettle of fish - I'd say it suits Scottie more than Bryson, but you never know.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
LIV tour is as legitimised as it’s going to be - it’s a tour with multiple world class players. That’s no different to this time last year when Koepka was winning , there are players on that tour capable of winning majors - they had multiple players who won majors

Providing the players continued in the same work ethic as they did before then they will no doubt challenge for majors.

World class players don’t lose that ability

The one hope I had were that the majors were above everything in regards the tour issues going on and when they started it was all down to the players during those 4 days

When a player wins a major it doesn’t say what tour they are on , when they engrave the trophy they don’t put LIV or PGAT next to the name

It’s a win for BDC
This is very different to Koepka winning last year, imo. BDC has had a rebrand and lots of young people like him now. That isn't the case with Koepka. Koepka also hasn't really bought in on the LIV brand, whereas BDC has.

And I think it is slightly important which tour they're on. In the eighties there was a lot of talk about the strength of the European Tour, as European Tour players were dominating majors. If the same were to happen with LIV (it isn't going to), then it would be talked about.

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
This is very different to Koepka winning last year, imo. BDC has had a rebrand and lots of young people like him now. That isn't the case with Koepka. Koepka also hasn't really bought in on the LIV brand, whereas BDC has.

And I think it is slightly important which tour they're on. In the eighties there was a lot of talk about the strength of the European Tour, as European Tour players were dominating majors. If the same were to happen with LIV (it isn't going to), then it would be talked about.
I think it’s a stretch to say the ET players dominated the majors.
There are more US winners than Euros in any period.
We just recall the Open and Masters wins. But the Yanks were winning the other 2 regularly.

wjemather

Visit site
I think it’s a stretch to say the ET players dominated the majors.
There are more US winners than Euros in any period.
We just recall the Open and Masters wins. But the Yanks were winning the other 2 regularly.
Well, we don't (shouldn't) really count the PGA as a major back then as there were so few international invites.