LIV Golf

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone actually started to care about any team? If they drop it, would someone notice it (negatively) ?
Some minor players would get lower pay days, which are still quite huge anyway. But for fans of the sport?

Have you watched it for any length of time? For me the team aspect makes a bit of sense, specially when it’s down the stretch on the final day and a few teams are within a shot or two of each other. I haven’t chosen a team as such and I won’t be buying any apparel lol but it does make compelling viewing when player a who is way down the leaderboard nees to make bogey or better for the team win. How the commentators keep going on about the team thing can get a bit much though 🤮

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Has anyone actually started to care about any team? If they drop it, would someone notice it (negatively) ?
Some minor players would get lower pay days, which are still quite huge anyway. But for fans of the sport?

The team aspect is a significant part of the competition and adds a very worthwhile dynamic - especially on the final day. People that watch LIV woukd recognise this.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Surprised to tune into LIVE FROM THE MASTERS and still hear them pedaling the line that the Liv Golfers wont be competitively sharp.
Competitive sharpness is meaningless in golf. Good golfers are good golfers. The LIV golfers arent really competing - but that will have no bearing on how they might do at Augusta. Koepka, Rahm, etc will make just as good a challenge as they would have, LIV or no LIV. The most of the LIV golfers in it, are top rank. Thats why they are there, and the other 40 or whatever arent.
They are just lazily borrowing something that is relevant in other sports, but doesnt apply to golf.

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you watched it for any length of time? For me the team aspect makes a bit of sense, specially when it’s down the stretch on the final day and a few teams are within a shot or two of each other. I haven’t chosen a team as such and I won’t be buying any apparel lol but it does make compelling viewing when player a who is way down the leaderboard nees to make bogey or better for the team win. How the commentators keep going on about the team thing can get a bit much though 🤮
I haven’t watched a full comp in ages, I like it as a highlight program in the background. Because of the shotgun start there is constant action, but I don’t pay much attention to the score board. Or even which day it is.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I haven’t watched a full comp in ages, I like it as a highlight program in the background. Because of the shotgun start there is constant action, but I don’t pay much attention to the score board. Or even which day it is.
well you'll never think it's day 4

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
No, in fact it annoys the life out of me when I log into the website to look at the leaderboard, that the team page appears first.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Laura Davies
"I don't think Jon Rahm can be as competitive only playing 3 rounds on the Liv Tour"

Wayne Riley
"Joaquin Niemann is my 2nd favourite"

Laura
"Can't disagree with that"

Last time I checked Joaquin plays 3 round events Laura
I've been thinking about this in the last few days. My wife has been away for a few days watching tennis in France. In Grand Slams men play best of 5 sets. In the tournament she was at, and all inbetween slams, it is best of 3.

If tennis can manage different game lengths, why not golf? It can of course, it just needs a change of mindset.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been thinking about this in the last few days. My wife has been away for a few days watching tennis in France. In Grand Slams men play best of 5 sets. In the tournament she was at, and all inbetween slams, it is best of 3.

If tennis can manage different game lengths, why not golf? It can of course, it just needs a change of mindset.

A lot of these guys are athletes now and someone is suggesting they can't saunter around a golf course for 4 days, or they've somehow become mentally weaker by joining another tour.
Honestly 🤣🤣🤣

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Masters chief Fred Ridley stuns LIV by saying its ranking is too closed shop to use as an entry path to the tournament.
In order to still have the best field possible, Augusta will instead exercise discretion with regard to special invitations.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The team aspect is a significant part of the competition and adds a very worthwhile dynamic - especially on the final day. People that watch LIV woukd recognise this.

And there lies one of the biggest obstacles that they need to get over or around when it comes to awarding of ranking points. A player out of contention for an individual win lagging a putt to make par to help his team rather than try to make the birdie to help his individual score is massive. With it not being a purely individual event how can you accurately compare it to singles strokeplay?