LIV Golf

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes it is very different. Those players had to earn their places on the PGAT.

How many players have earned a place on LiV? And they are competing in a closed shop.

The only fans that are complaining about Burmister not being there are the LiV cheerleaders, most golf fans won’t give it a second thought.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think winning an LIV event should carry as much weight as winning a PGA one when it comes to rankings, for the reason you mention (closed shop). But it still needs to carry more weight than it does now, I think. Something is amiss when the likes of Bryson and DJ are outside the top 200.

Agree on Burmester though, seriously, nobody cares about that guy.

wjemather

Visit site
LIV can change in order to become able to have points awarded.
We all know that LIV (as it is now - format, contracts, teams, promotion/relegation, everything) would have been getting points from the word go if it was owned by the PGA Tour, so I can only think you are referring to a change in ownership, and that isn't about to happen.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I don't think winning an LIV event should carry as much weight as winning a PGA one when it comes to rankings, for the reason you mention (closed shop). But it still needs to carry more weight than it does now, I think. Something is amiss when the likes of Bryson and DJ are outside the top 200.

Agree on Burmester though, seriously, nobody cares about that guy.

We all follow a host of players for different reasons

Care might be too strong but he was an ambassador for my home club until recently, so he's a player I follow
If he was English more of the forum might care,. Doubtless there's plenty in SA that care to see one of theirs at augusta

Its just perspective

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
We all know that LIV (as it is now - format, contracts, teams, promotion/relegation, everything) would have been getting points from the word go if it was owned by the PGA Tour, so I can only think you are referring to a change in ownership, and that isn't about to happen.
I think you’re getting a little paranoid.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Akshay Batia won the weekend tournament taking his world ranking from 95 to 87. Winning that qualified him into the Masters. In 2021 Burmester was ranked 67, 2022 ranked 55, 2023 ranked 72 (drifted as he had joined liv). Your statement doesn't quite add up when you look at it like that.

Bhatia got in because he won at the weekend. If it was purely ranking then he would not have got the invite. Such is the Masters........

Bhatia is number 34 in the world. Not 87. Such is the ill-informed views of people about the Masters...

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Did we shame players when they left the European Tour to join the money machine that is the PGA? Is the move to LIV really that different (apart from it being louder and brighter, or is it only louder?)

Where you lay the blame is clearly opinion, blimey does this thread show that, but I differ from you on that one. I think the Majors should be above inter tour bickering and fighting, they should be the elite tournaments with the very best there, not most of the very best. I have no problem with the PGA having the hump and banning LIV golfers from their tournaments but the majors should be separate and above this.

I didn’t literally mean throw shame on the players. I just don’t get the idea of it’s a shame player X isn’t there, they knew the situation when they moved so I just don’t have any sympathy for them. The players are remaining relatively tight lipped on the situation, saying anything bad could affect them being invited in the future.

All the people who we would miss currently have exemptions, I imagine by the time those have expired there will be a pathway from LIV to the majors.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Elite tournament golf isn't (or shouldn't be) a PGA Tour owned and operated cartel.
There should be no one designated tour that you have to play on in order to get a fair crack at exemptions into majors. (PGA Championship aside, due to it's history,) the majors are not (supposed to be) aligned to any tour or invested in protecting any tour's interests.

If we're going to point fingers, there should certainly be some pointing at the majors who are willfully failing to ensure they have as many of the best players in their fields as possible. Instead they have seemingly decided to prioritise protection of the cartel (that apparently doesn't exist).

You’re right it shouldn’t be, but equally a new tour or organisation should be sensible enough to play to the OGWR criteria if they want to have a seat at the table. Ignoring the rules and shouting about it is not the way to go about things.

D-S

Visit site
There’s a good interview with Rahm on the Chipping Forecast Masters preview. He suggests that LIV might be considering moving to 72 holes which will change the landscape on OWGR points.

wjemather

Visit site
You’re right it shouldn’t be, but equally a new tour or organisation should be sensible enough to play to the OGWR criteria if they want to have a seat at the table. Ignoring the rules and shouting about it is not the way to go about things.
This has been done to death, but OWGR criteria are only guidelines; they are not rules. Any and all decisions regarding the awarding ranking points are entirely at the discretion of the board.

wjemather

Visit site
There’s a good interview with Rahm on the Chipping Forecast Masters preview. He suggests that LIV might be considering moving to 72 holes which will change the landscape on OWGR points.
Why would it, when the OWGR board have already said that the 54-hole format is not an issue that is preventing ranking the events?