LIV Golf

wjemather

Visit site
Part of the problem is that LIV want to be ranked alongside the existing Tours but they're not playing the same game.
In cricket you have Test rankings, 1 day rankings, T20 rankings because these are not the same game....
How can you rank a Test Match bowler against a T20 bowler....?
The basic game is the same but there are huge differences as well.
This is the problem with 54 holes, no cut etc etc....
Play the same game and everything falls into place.
This is a bad analogy.
Since there isn't a single Rule of Golf that is different on LIV than on any other tour, they are playing exactly the same game. There is also nothing mystical about 72 holes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is a bad analogy.
Since there isn't a single Rule of Golf that is different on LIV than on any other tour, they are playing exactly the same game. There is also nothing mystical about 72 holes.
It's what the other, established Tours play.
LiV plays a shorter version...
Tell me I'm wrong...

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’m sure they will spin it as a positive. Growing the game ore ensuing they have the best future stars

I don't think anybody would say that signing an amateur is as impressive as signing a top ranked pro, however, feeding young emerging talent into any tour is vitally important to it's success - so it is essential.

I did mention Wyndham Clark earlier, you know, another current major holder - but the LIV critics have skimmed over that one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And right there is LIVs biggest problem....deflection
Answering a question with a question
You do it all the time.
Hey..Harman won a Major too last year.....can you take him too.......

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tell me I'm wrong...

Maybe assign only a percentage of the ranking points, e.g. if a PGAT event has 100 points, why not allocate 75 points for a LIV event. It might even make some LIV players rethink there position if their ranking is falling away.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
And right there is LIVs biggest problem....deflection
Answering a question with a question
You do it all the time.
Hey..Harman won a Major too last year.....can you take him too.......

LIV's biggest problem is people challenging those that claim it isn't the same golf as is being played on conventional tours. That's an interesting take.

D

Deleted member 29109

I don't think anybody would say that signing an amateur is as impressive as signing a top ranked pro, however, feeding young emerging talent into any tour is vitally important to it's success - so it is essential.

I did mention Wyndham Clark earlier, you know, another current major holder - but the LIV critics have skimmed over that one.

You did. He’s not a LiV player yet, so ant this point just another name amongst many being thrown around. And a major champion he may be, but he’s not exactly a needle mover is he?

wjemather

Visit site
Tell me I'm wrong...
Ok, you're wrong.

They're not playing par-3 or pitch-and-putt courses, or playing any other variation of golf that demands different skills to be successful. This is why your cricket analogy is a bad one.

They're playing exactly the same game, by the same rules, on the same standard of golf course. 54/72 holes is not a meaningful difference, and all known ranking systems include both without issue.

D

Deleted member 15344

I know this is a bit simplistic, and everyone appears to be very entrenched in their views on it but there’s multiple football leagues in the world and there’s multiple rugby leagues in the world and there’s multiple cricket leagues in the world. Why can’t there be another golf tour?

Cricket leagues follow the sun to a large extent but the same players can be seen playing in different leagues.

I just don’t get the anti feelings. It’ll stand or fall by how it progresses. It’s unlikely to cause any real harm to the current tours, it might even force them to improve their products.
There is nothing stopping another golf tour - anyone is free to create a tour and ask players to join and create rules etc etc

But there is also other areas where rules have been set that other golf tours follow to gain things like - ranking points or entry into majors etc - if a new tour wants to get either of those then they follow the same criteria as others

This new tour as an example want to have those points etc but don’t want to follow those guidelines - they want those guidelines to change to suit them.

LIV is along the same lines as European Super League in football or the Indian Cricket league when that was started - leagues outside the boundaries of other established leagues - nothing stopping them from being started or getting players but the other leagues etc don’t have to change their rules to allow them to fit in
Ok, you're wrong.

They're not playing par-3 or pitch-and-putt courses, or playing any other variation of golf that demands different skills to be successful. This is why your cricket analogy is a bad one.

They're playing exactly the same game, by the same rules, on the same standard of golf course. 54/72 holes is not a meaningful difference, and all known ranking systems include both without issue.
What other ranking systems ? There is only one that matters - and it’s there for the majors and is used to help entry into majors and is run by the majors - any other rankings have little meaning

C7usk

Visit site
Ok, you're wrong.

I don't think it is a bad anology... Playing 54 holes, no cut is completely different to 72 holes with a cut. ( on both tours) you would take a much different approach to your round knowing you ain't going to miss the cut, or you have or have not got another 18 holes to improve your round...

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it is a bad anology... Playing 54 holes, no cut is completely different to 72 holes with a cut. ( on both tours) you would take a much different approach to your round knowing you ain't going to miss the cut, or you have or have not got another 18 holes to improve your round...

It’s a halfway house analogy. I don’t see why the lack of cut is relevant, most of the top guys make the cut in regular tournaments anyway and all it does is keep the entire field playing for longer. Guys at the top of the leaderboard will still be playing just as hard as the next guy to get the win, much like any tournament on the PGA. The only similarity to one day cricket is the shorter format, but also like LIV in one day cricket you have some of the best players in the world going at it trying to beat each other. Now if cricketers could wear shorts then that would be a serious comparison 🤣

D

Deleted member 15344

No cuts , reduced fields have been happening for years - the WGCs were the top 70 only and there was no cut - don’t think that’s ever been an issue. Events that have played less than 72 holes are mainly those that are hit by weather delays or a development tour - but it’s not an issue

For the likes of the OWGR and the Major exemptions etc they aren’t an issue and there are ways to allow points to those events

The issues occur because

It’s the same players every event, it’s a closed shop with invites but every event it’s the same 48 or 52 players ,

There is a manufactured team competition going on at the same time and there is the chance for collusion which a player even admitted to not going for a shot fully because it may harm the team score

And there is very little “punishment” for playing badly - multiple players were shocking yet didn’t lose a card because they were protected - tough for someone who performs better but then gets dropped - it’s not great competition

And then there is the whole wanting the best of all the worlds - players wanted to play on a tour that offered them huge amounts of money and they played less , don’t then complain when you can no longer be afforded the rewards on offer from the other tours

If LIV was created and the players just played their events , took their money and had a nice life then I suspect many wouldn’t care - the constant slating of the PGAT and DPT and the CeOs and the majors etc and the daily nonsense from paid LIV bots has done nothing but harm tour golf to the point where it’s actually putting many off watching any golf outside the majors

And then add in the lack of awareness from players - BDC the latest going on about “wanting to big together and join together” - the split only happened because of people like him moving

Tour golf is a mess - it’s a mess driven by money , it’s a mess driven by greed of players and it’s a mess driven by a state regime wanting to buy everything - the sport wasn’t perfect before but it’s getting close to being beyond repair when it comes to the Tours