LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So much relevant LIV news coming out over the last few days from Rory's vision of how it will fit into the landscape, to Phil Mickelsons interview yesterday - and even this from Jack Nicklaus - "it's a powerful addition"

The ongoing PGA Tour-LIV Golf talks: “I talked to Jay [Monahan] about three weeks ago. We were talking, and I said, ‘Jay, don’t tell me what you’re doing. I don’t want to know because Rich Lerner is going to ask me a question about it, and if I don’t know, then I don’t have to answer the question.’ So, I don’t really know where they’re going. I hope that they get this thing together all in the best interest of the game of golf. The LIV thing has been a powerful addition to the game, probably impacted a lot more than we thought it was going to, but it has, and it probably will continue to do so.

https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/golf-central/nicklaus-tiger-is-capable-of-anything-he-wants

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Which social media is most popular for the LIV accounts? Given the message from those pro LIV is that it is popular with the younger generation I’d have thought their social media accounts would play a big part in that. Looking at the official Instagram account and it has 670k followers, which I thought was incredibly low. PGA Tour has 3.4 million, I also expected this to be higher.

Had a quick look at the teams and the highest I could see was just under 40k (Crushers). Am I right in being surprised at these low figures?

For context, Luke Littler the 16 year old darts player now has over a million followers, first darts player to have over 1 million.

wjemather

Visit site
Which social media is most popular for the LIV accounts? Given the message from those pro LIV is that it is popular with the younger generation I’d have thought their social media accounts would play a big part in that. Looking at the official Instagram account and it has 670k followers, which I thought was incredibly low. PGA Tour has 3.4 million, I also expected this to be higher.

Had a quick look at the teams and the highest I could see was just under 40k (Crushers). Am I right in being surprised at these low figures?

For context, Luke Littler the 16 year old darts player now has over a million followers, first darts player to have over 1 million.
Pro golf is a very niche sport with a fanbase dominated by the older generation.
It should be no surprise that even the biggest names in golf have followings that are dwarfed by their peers in other sports.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Pro golf is a very niche sport with a fanbase dominated by the older generation.
It should be no surprise that even the biggest names in golf have followings that are dwarfed by their peers in other sports.

That’s why I specifically asked about the supposed popularity of LIV with the younger generation.

Even Ian Poulters personal account has just under 600k followers, which then makes it a bit of a surprise that the Majestics only have 20k.

I don’t think golfers would get anywhere near the truly popular sports would get, but that is not the question I am asking.

wjemather

Visit site
That’s why I specifically asked about the supposed popularity of LIV with the younger generation.

Even Ian Poulters personal account has just under 600k followers, which then makes it a bit of a surprise that the Majestics only have 20k.

I don’t think golfers would get anywhere near the truly popular sports would get, but that is not the question I am asking.
Younger golf fans are reportedly more aware of and interested in LIV than older golf fans, but that really isn't the same thing as wanting to follow social media accounts.

D

Deleted member 1147

Younger golf fans are reportedly more aware of and interested in LIV than older golf fans, but that really isn't the same thing as wanting to follow social media accounts.
Any numbers to prove the first part?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

Given the younger generation are more active on social media, if there is any proof to the opinion that LIV is popular with the younguns, their accounts should see good interaction. From what I can see, that doesn’t seem to be the case and LIV has generally quite poor interaction both in terms of the official league account and also the individual teams accounts.

The big name players have good engagement, but this was there before LIV.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Young people live on their phones and interact with the wider world through social platforms. It would stand to reason that interest from said generation would translate into more follows/likes/views etc.

So I would actually say that LIV are not grabbing their attention

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
How young are you speculating about?

In this context I would probably be saying sub 35 is young. But your link backs up my thoughts that people aren’t engaging with LIV, the numbers I quote are Instagram users which your link says is teenagers favourite.

I don’t use Twitter so don’t know the figures there, but as a 37 year old I would say Facebook and Instagram are my most used platforms.

YouTube where you can stream the events for free only has 300k subscribers, now granted I watch quite a bit of YouTube but don’t subscribe to any accounts so that figure could well be irrelevant.

wjemather

Visit site

wjemather

Visit site
Given the younger generation are more active on social media, if there is any proof to the opinion that LIV is popular with the younguns, their accounts should see good interaction. From what I can see, that doesn’t seem to be the case and LIV has generally quite poor interaction both in terms of the official league account and also the individual teams accounts.

The big name players have good engagement, but this was there before LIV.
When younger fans make up such a small proportion of the whole, they probably don't have the weight of numbers to move the needle. Also, most of the interactions I see on social media with golf posts is from people who (very much) can not be described as younger.

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
Here's one report on a survey/poll from 2022:

Editor's note: This poll was not commissioned by Morning Read or Sports Illustrated. Will Johnson, CEO of the Harris Poll, is a guest columnist.

Sorry, never heard of 'Harris Poll". Do you have a recognised and credible source, not just another internet blogger?